Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

JD/MBA - Work experience requirement waived?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

Hi guys, 

I am applying for law school this October and I know that one can only apply to Ivey after receiving an acceptance from the law school, but my question is does Ivey waive the 2 year work experience requirement? I am someone who does not know if they will stay in law forever. I have always wanted to do a MBA because business may be a potential route for me. 

#2 Caracol

Caracol
  • Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

I think they'll allow one year of full-time consecutive employment - but they won't waive the requirement entirely.

#3 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Thank you. Would you happen to know if the one year of full-time employment has to be in a particular business field or can it be anything?  

#4 Caracol

Caracol
  • Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

It's best you contact them! I imagine it's on a very case-by-case basis.

#5 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

Hi guys, 

I am applying for law school this October and I know that (i) one can only apply to Ivey after receiving an acceptance from the law school, but my question is (ii) does Ivey waive the 2 year work experience requirement? I am someone who does not know if they will stay in law forever. I have always wanted to do a MBA because business may be a potential route for me. 

(i) I'm fairly certain you can apply to both at the same time.  If you don't get into law school, however, then you will have to write the GMAT (as I'm sure you know, if you do get into law school and you have a 160+ LSAT score, then the GMAT requirement is waived).

(ii) Not that I'm aware of.  (Based on personal experience.)

Would you happen to know if the one year of full-time employment has to be in a particular business field or can it be anything?  

I don't think they look for experience in any particular field.  Rather, they tend to look for people with "leadership potential."  In other words, it isn't so much what you do as how well you've done it.  For instance, someone who can show that they've had steady or rapid career progression would be a strong candidate.  So too would someone who has demonstrated entrepreneurial acumen and/or initiative by, for example, starting a small business or working for a startup.

#6 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend attending a "First Class on the Road."

http://www.ivey.uwo....events-listing/

#7 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:58 AM

(i) I'm fairly certain you can apply to both at the same time.  If you don't get into law school, however, then you will have to write the GMAT (as I'm sure you know, if you do get into law school and you have a 160+ LSAT score, then the GMAT requirement is waived).

(ii) Not that I'm aware of.  (Based on personal experience.)

I don't think they look for experience in any particular field.  Rather, they tend to look for people with "leadership potential."  In other words, it isn't so much what you do as how well you've done it.  For instance, someone who can show that they've had steady or rapid career progression would be a strong candidate.  So too would someone who has demonstrated entrepreneurial acumen and/or initiative by, for example, starting a small business or working for a startup.

Thank you, that gives me perspective. I'll still email Ivey just in case. 

#8 lumberjack23

lumberjack23
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

Wondering the same thing, OP have you received any word from them?

#9 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

Wondering the same thing, OP have you received any word from them?

They said that because the class draws upon their work experiences during discussion, a minimum of 2 years of work experience is required.

#10 lumberjack23

lumberjack23
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

They said that because the class draws upon their work experiences during discussion, a minimum of 2 years of work experience is required.

Did you make it clear that you are going for JD/MBA? It sounds unusual to me coz JD/MBAs at Tornoto and York waive work experience requiremnet

#11 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

Did you make it clear that you are going for JD/MBA? It sounds unusual to me coz JD/MBAs at Tornoto and York waive work experience requiremnet

I made that clear and still received an email telling me that the 2 years of work experience is required for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. I am praying that they will make an exception for me, as Western is one of my top choices. 

Edited by WEALTH123, 25 July 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#12 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

LumberJack, here is the email I received. 

"The Ivey MBA is a 1-year program that uses the Ivey Case Study Method. As such, students draw upon their work experience to contribute to classroom discussions. The Admissions Committee would like to see a minimum of 2 years full time work experience, as well as candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities and job progression. This is a strict minimum work experience. Keep in mind that most applicants will have closer to 4 years of work experience."

Edited by WEALTH123, 25 July 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#13 lumberjack23

lumberjack23
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

LumberJack, here is the email I received. 

"The Ivey MBA is a 1-year program that uses the Ivey Case Study Method. As such, students draw upon their work experience to contribute to classroom discussions. The Admissions Committee would like to see a minimum of 2 years full time work experience, as well as candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities and job progression. This is a strict minimum work experience. Keep in mind that most applicants will have closer to 4 years of work experience."

Yeah i hate to say this but sometimes junior administrative staff just reply with a form response exactly like this one without noting the details of your inquiry and running it by their boss. Unless I see it say explicitly JD/MBA is no exception I am not buying it. If I may suggest, you could write back something like "oh but other schools waive it and I have a lot of internship/volunteer experience under my belt, any chance you could decide on a case-by-case basis?

#14 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:48 AM

While the other JD/MBA programs might waive their minimum work experience requirements, my view is that it is a good thing that Ivey doesn't waive theirs, and I don't think that a 2 year minimum is an unreasonable requirement.

In my view, experience in the business world begets knowledge of business administration, and that experience and knowledge should be necessary for a degree titled "Masters of Business Administration"; if an individual has less than 2 years of work experience, then that individual, with few exceptions, is probably not ready to get the most out of an MBA.

Edited by Rearden, 26 July 2016 - 05:48 AM.

• beyondsection17 and Cabaret like this

#15 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

While the other JD/MBA programs might waive their minimum work experience requirements, my view is that it is a good thing that Ivey doesn't waive theirs, and I don't think that a 2 year minimum is an unreasonable requirement.

In my view, experience in the business world begets knowledge of business administration, and that experience and knowledge should be necessary for a degree titled "Masters of Business Administration"; if an individual has less than 2 years of work experience, then that individual, with few exceptions, is probably not ready to get the most out of an MBA.

Agreed. If you don't have the work experience to draw on, you aren't able to contribute. You also won't get the most out of the MBA.

• beyondsection17 likes this

#16 WEALTH123

WEALTH123
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTORONTO

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

I agree that work experience is imperative for a Masters in Business Administration, but I think that the admissions department should place emphasis on the quality of work/job rather than the amount of time spent in that job. I want to find out if they make exceptions and whether or not anyone has gotten into the program with just one year of full-time work.  

Edited by WEALTH123, 26 July 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#17 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

I agree that work experience is imperative for a Masters in Business Administration, but I think that the admissions department should place emphasis on the quality of work/job rather than the amount of time spent in that job. I want to find out if they make exceptions and whether or not anyone has gotten into the program with just one year of full-time work.  

I would generally agree that quality of experience is better than quantity, but I think Ivey's admissions team does focus on quality once you've hit the 2 year threshold.  It seems as if they've decided that regardless of the quality of your experience, 2 years is the minimum quantity; I don't see anything wrong with that policy, and, frankly, I can't think of any valid reason why JD/MBA applicants should be exempt from it.

That said, I realize that there's little value in debating this and that I'm not really answering your question.  In my opinion, if you've contacted Ivey and/or Western Law and you've essentially received an unequivocal "no", then I don't think there's much more that you can do.

Edited by Rearden, 27 July 2016 - 05:55 AM.

• beyondsection17 likes this

#18 bcboymtlman

bcboymtlman
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

I went through the application process last year. Ivey wasn't willing to waive the work requirement. Is there a list schools which are known to waive it?

#19 hORNS

hORNS
  • Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

I went through the application process last year. Ivey wasn't willing to waive the work requirement. Is there a list schools which are known to waive it?

Rotman and Schulich waive it for sure.