Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Law School/Fredericton Necessities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy13

jimmy13
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone has anyone recommendations on law school/life in fredericton necessities? More specifically, I was thinking of getting an ipad for writing notes in class. Is that a good idea? or is it better to stay more traditional with a pen and paper? 

Thanks 

#2 sciencelawyer

sciencelawyer
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone has anyone recommendations on law school/life in fredericton necessities? More specifically, I was thinking of getting an ipad for writing notes in class. Is that a good idea? or is it better to stay more traditional with a pen and paper? 

Thanks 

In my class, people have used both, so don't be afraid to go with your personal preference! I personally used my laptop, since I would take notes on cases at home, and just add points highlighted by the prof in lecture. It significantly helped me when I put together my CANs to prepare for exams, since I could directly copy and paste portions from my notes. A laptop might also be something to consider (if you don't already own one) for Dec/April exams, since students can choose to type their exams (but again, I've seen some students use laptops, and others handwrite). Good luck with the decision! 

• jimmy13 likes this

#3 Kevin5

Kevin5
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hey sciencelawyer, in terms of laptops, does the type of laptop matter? Most people in undergrad seemed to have Macs. I'm just wondering in terms of programs required to download and whatnot. Thanks!
  • jimmy13 likes this

#4 sciencelawyer

sciencelawyer
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

Hey sciencelawyer, in terms of laptops, does the type of laptop matter? Most people in undergrad seemed to have Macs. I'm just wondering in terms of programs required to download and whatnot. Thanks!

Hey Kevin5! The exam software we used for 2015-16 was compatible with both Windows or Macs. If you're really curious about the computerized exam policy, the link is below: 

http://www.unb.ca/fr...exampolicy.pdf 

Page 5 covers which OS were/were not compatible with the software used this past academic year. 

#5 Nikki14

Nikki14
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:24 AM

So I emailed Wanda to ask for clarification about the Nova Scoria Waitlist, this is the reply I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry, we have a number of waitlists, regionally set, should we receive any declines from the seats already filled we will contact students on those lists from which province the decline was from. You have been ranked #5 you will be contacted should we receive declines from Nova Scotia residents.

We will contact you by email should your status change."
  • Nikki14 likes this

#6 Nikki14

Nikki14
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:25 AM

Sorry guys! Wrong board!

#7 jimmy13

jimmy13
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

In my class, people have used both, so don't be afraid to go with your personal preference! I personally used my laptop, since I would take notes on cases at home, and just add points highlighted by the prof in lecture. It significantly helped me when I put together my CANs to prepare for exams, since I could directly copy and paste portions from my notes. A laptop might also be something to consider (if you don't already own one) for Dec/April exams, since students can choose to type their exams (but again, I've seen some students use laptops, and others handwrite). Good luck with the decision! 

Thanks for all your help! 

#8 lawguy76

lawguy76
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Bring a combination padlock on your first day of orientation

All the lockers in the back hallway are first come first serve (or they were when I was there). Grab one and stick your lock on.