Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Housing/Rentals in London

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 shleffy17

shleffy17
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hey there, does anyone have any tips on good neighborhoods to live?

Additionally, what are the best websites/resources to find rentals? I know the Western site is pretty good, and kijiji is o.k. are there any others you could recommend?

I live in Toronto and rely heavily on listings before I commit to view them.

#2 Canadian1993

Canadian1993
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

It depends. Would u rather be close to campus? Downtown close to the bars? Or at the end downtown closer to the train / to get to the highway to come back to Toronto? Even if you are there it is only a 5 minute drive to campus.
Do you want to be somewhere quiet? Or more of a scene?

#3 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:01 AM

Most people live downtown, with a handful living near Cherryhill. I found the UWO Off Campus Housing website to be the best. I only used that and Kijiji when looking, and had a bunch of places to check out. You could also contact one of the rental companies - I emailed Exclusive Rental and they set me up with 2-3 properties to see that fit my requirements. 

#4 shleffy17

shleffy17
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

Most people live downtown, with a handful living near Cherryhill. I found the UWO Off Campus Housing website to be the best. I only used that and Kijiji when looking, and had a bunch of places to check out. You could also contact one of the rental companies - I emailed Exclusive Rental and they set me up with 2-3 properties to see that fit my requirements. 

Thanks - that's very helpful.

It depends. Would u rather be close to campus? Downtown close to the bars? Or at the end downtown closer to the train / to get to the highway to come back to Toronto? Even if you are there it is only a 5 minute drive to campus.
Do you want to be somewhere quiet? Or more of a scene?

I would rather be as close to campus as possible - I do want to party but don't want to be in a loud neighborhood with students constantly partying if you know what I mean. I don't have a car so I'd be relying on walking and transit in the winter. What do you think?

#5 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

I would rather be as close to campus as possible - I do want to party but don't want to be in a loud neighborhood with students constantly partying if you know what I mean. I don't have a car so I'd be relying on walking and transit in the winter. What do you think?

I would personally live downtown in your situation, just maybe not right on Richmond. Most events take place downtown, so you're right there and can walk to things.

#6 Canadian1993

Canadian1993
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

I would personally live downtown in your situation, just maybe not right on Richmond. Most events take place downtown, so you're right there and can walk to things.

I would look into 675 or 695 Richmond if I was you.
Downtown is 5 minutes from campus and it's much nicer if ur living alone.

#7 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, from what I've seen most of the buildings really close to campus have a bunch of undergrads. Plus, then you always have to cab home from downtown, which is a pain and gets expensive.

But I think 675/695 seem to be pretty busy with parties. (But that's just as an observer, as I don't live in either building! Maybe someone who does can chime in.)

Edited by Cabaret, 29 June 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#8 Canadian1993

Canadian1993
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, from what I've seen most of the buildings really close to campus have a bunch of undergrads. Plus, then you always have to cab home from downtown, which is a pain and gets expensive.

But I think 675/695 seem to be pretty busy with parties. (But that's just as an observer, as I don't live in either building! Maybe someone who does can chime in.)

True. 180 mill is more calm.
I like 544 talbot and Renaissance but they r more expensive.

#9 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

True. 180 mill is more calm.
I like 544 talbot and Renaissance but they r more expensive.

544 Talbot is absolutely gorgeous inside! But makes sense that it would cost more. 180 Mill is basically beside either 675 or 695 Richmond (can't remember which one).

#10 sali13

sali13
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Any advice on living at Luxe? Is it easy to sublet in the summer (12 month lease only) and seem to be worth the price?

#11 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

Any advice on living at Luxe? Is it easy to sublet in the summer (12 month lease only) and seem to be worth the price?

No clue about subletting, but Luxe seems to be mostly undergrads. 

#12 nikkygirl9

nikkygirl9
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

I found this website to be helpful http://www.timbercre...tern-university

There are a couple of rental agents who oversee 2 or 3 buildings each so it's easy to book showings! 

• InsertPseudonymHere likes this

#13 InsertPseudonymHere

InsertPseudonymHere
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Luxe is really, really nice. I knew a fair amount of people there during my UG, and those who wanted to sublet were able to find tennants easily.

Being said, it is ram packed with undergrads. However that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Also I'm not sure if you've secured a spot at Luxe already or not, but I tried to in February for my upcoming 1L term and they were full.

In my opinion Luxe is worth it if you can room with another/other grad students.

#14 wdym1234

wdym1234
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

I'm wondering if anyone lived in MARQ (205 Oxford Street E), or knew anyone who did. The pricing for 1 bedroom units are really nice, but I've came across some pretty bad reviews on their facebook page.

#15 lucysweb2001

lucysweb2001
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

I'm wondering if anyone lived in MARQ (205 Oxford Street E), or knew anyone who did. The pricing for 1 bedroom units are really nice, but I've came across some pretty bad reviews on their facebook page.

I actually just signed a lease there for a 2 bedroom for 1200. I was pretty impressed with the size of the balconies (there are two) and the storage space. The only downside for me is that there is no AC, but I can just bring my own. I'm sure there will be bad reviews since compared to some of the other buildings I visited this one looks the oldest. Although considering the price, space and location I don't think it's a bad deal.

Inbox me if you have any questions regarding the whole process and some of the fine prints, I just did it a few weeks ago.

• wdym1234 likes this

#16 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hey, I'm just about to sign a lease to live with a roommate in Talbot Towers (565 Talbot St) but don't know London well at all. I haven't even been able to go down to see the place in person..

Does anyone know anything about that building? I'm on a tight budget so i'm not expecting it to be super nice, but is it ok? is the area ok?

Thanks!!

Edit: my rent is 525$/month + utilities.

Edited by pinkroses, 08 July 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#17 honeybear

honeybear
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hey! If anyone is looking for an affordable, centrally located quiet, clean place to stay with another law student and some other students feel free to contact me! Sorry I'm not looking for party people.

#18 JusticeMcBoob

JusticeMcBoob
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hi, does anyone know any apartments in downtown London that offer 8 month leases? Or are they all mostly year long leases? 

#19 wdym1234

wdym1234
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hi, does anyone know any apartments in downtown London that offer 8 month leases? Or are they all mostly year long leases? 

I know 695 Richmond Street offers 8 month leases.

#20 JusticeMcBoob

JusticeMcBoob
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

I know 695 Richmond Street offers 8 month leases.

Thanks! would you happen to know what their prices are for one bedroom suites? It doesn't say on their website lol

#21 wdym1234

wdym1234
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Thanks! would you happen to know what their prices are for one bedroom suites? It doesn't say on their website lol

I spoke to them around a week ago and was being told that 1 bedroom is available for $1325/month furnished or $1250/month unfurnished.

They also told me to budget around $75/month for utilities.

#22 JusticeMcBoob

JusticeMcBoob
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

I spoke to them around a week ago and was being told that 1 bedroom is available for $1325/month furnished or $1250/month unfurnished.

They also told me to budget around $75/month for utilities.

Oh wow, that's really pricey haha!! Thank anyways.

#23 goodwillhunting

goodwillhunting
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Hey! Anyone know anything about 291 St. George Street? Also won't be able to see the building prior to move-in in September, so any info would be great. Thanks :)

#24 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

Hey! Anyone know anything about 291 St. George Street? Also won't be able to see the building prior to move-in in September, so any info would be great. Thanks :)

Most people live south of Oxford, but it looks like a decent location. I had never heard of them until this post, so they aren't one of the more popular buildings, but they look nice on the website.

#25 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hey everyone,

I don't know anyone in London & am planning on living by myself (just what I prefer), but I also really want to meet lots of new people & have fun etc... will there be lots of opportunities to meet new people & socialize? Is living alone a mistake? thanks!