Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Current TRU law student answering questions.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 QuincyWagstaff

QuincyWagstaff
  • Members
  • 1927 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

Flat out lie, unless 90-100% is a very few.

I've heard the placement rate for 2016 graduates is, thus far, a fraction of that.

#27 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3255 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

I've heard the placement rate for 2016 graduates is, thus far, a fraction of that.

Really?  I know the first two classes are near 100% so a fraction of that just doesnt make sense.

#28 Imposter

Imposter
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

Oh yikes, does anyone have any more info on this? I wonder what would cause such a significant change from the previous two years.

#29 AntelopeofZeus

AntelopeofZeus
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationWhere the antelope roam

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

I sent an email to the career services person about this year's articling rates. So hopefully we'll have an official answer soon.

When I went to see her in the spring she said the only people who didn't get articles in the class of 2015, were

1) a person who was only looking in Kamloops,
2) a person who was only looking in Toronto. 

I personally think that reflects a lot more on the students than it does on TRU as a whole. If your completely inflexible in your location demands when your starting your career, your going to have a harder time no matter what you do or where you go. 

• megatron7 likes this

#30 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

I sent an email to the career services person about this year's articling rates. So hopefully we'll have an official answer soon.

When I went to see her in the spring she said the only people who didn't get articles in the class of 2015, were

1) a person who was only looking in Kamloops,
2) a person who was only looking in Toronto. 

I personally think that reflects a lot more on the students than it does on TRU as a whole. If your completely inflexible in your location demands when your starting your career, your going to have a harder time no matter what you do or where you go. 

Everyone who wanted to practice law in the class of 2015 eventually got articles.  

#31 auxilium00

auxilium00
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hi, 

Any ideas on when the book list goes up for 1L? Also, what is a rough cost of the books? 

I appreciate the responses. 

#32 megatron7

megatron7
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I have a question I just thought of.

I have a Mac, but I've never purchased Word, Excel ect, for it because the program only lasts 1-2 years (I believe) before you have to buy it again.

I do have Pages, Numbers, and the other comparable programs for Mac.

Is that going to be an issue? Should I invest in getting Word before school starts?

#33 Eeee

Eeee
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

I have a Mac, but I've never purchased Word, Excel ect, for it because the program only lasts 1-2 years (I believe) before you have to buy it again.

wrong.

#34 megatron7

megatron7
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

The last time I looked it up (about 5 years ago) that was the case.

It appears you can spend 79.99 for a 1 year subscription, unless you're a student.... in which it's $79.99 for 4 years.

#35 celli660

celli660
  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, that's the cheap kind of office where it expires, for a couple hundred bucks (edit: I looked it up and $149 gets it permanently, but only on PC) you can get a license that doesn't expire. Though in your case you might only want the four year version. 

Bear in mind that buying a PC laptop is so cheap that if you wanted to shell out for a 500 laptop and 100 bucks for office, you would probably have something nearly comparable in terms of ability to browse facebook, do homework, and run skype as any 4 year old mac.

Edited by celli660, 04 July 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#36 nicknameorpseudonym

nicknameorpseudonym
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, that's the cheap kind of office where it expires, for a couple hundred bucks (edit: I looked it up and $149 gets it permanently, but only on PC) you can get a license that doesn't expire. Though in your case you might only want the four year version. 

Bear in mind that buying a PC laptop is so cheap that if you wanted to shell out for a 500 laptop and 100 bucks for office, you would probably have something nearly comparable in terms of ability to browse facebook, do homework, and run skype as any 4 year old mac.

149$ one time purchase for Office 2016 suite for Mac that doesn't expire.

Edited by nicknameorpseudonym, 04 July 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#37 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Is that going to be an issue? Should I invest in getting Word before school starts?

Last year TRU offered 1 free year of Microsoft Office through the MyTru portal. Not sure if they plan to do the same this year but it might be worth waiting to see. I know they offered it a few weeks before classes started last fall.
  • megatron7 likes this

#38 lawschoolsucks

lawschoolsucks
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

Oh yikes, does anyone have any more info on this? I wonder what would cause such a significant change from the previous two years.

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

I have used the Mac programs through my 2 years of law school. The only issue I have found is that I have to convert my documents to word or PDF to send them to people or submit assignments online. But not really a big deal beyond that.

#39 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hi, 

Any ideas on when the book list goes up for 1L? Also, what is a rough cost of the books? 

I appreciate the responses.

As far as I recall, the TRU online bookstore listed the new semester's book list some time in mid August. Once you get your schedule and section numbers in early August I'd recommend keeping an eye on the online bookstore. However, it's a good idea to hold off on buying books until the week before classes since upper years will begin posting their books for sale about then.

Last year I got most of my texts used and paid about $500 total I believe. You'll obviously spend much more buying them all new. Also during orientation week, your profs should let you know if old editions will be acceptable.
  • Serenity00 likes this

#40 nicknameorpseudonym

nicknameorpseudonym
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

How concerning should this "significant drop" be to incoming 1Ls?

#41 AntelopeofZeus

AntelopeofZeus
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

As far as official statistics go, this is what the Career services person told me about the class of 2016

" Unfortunately, it’s still a bit too early for the Class of 2016’s stats - like other Canadian law schools, we will not have articling data to share until 6-9 months after graduation."

#42 AntelopeofZeus

AntelopeofZeus
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:22 AM

Any idea if the people who were really struggling to find articles were the Vancouver or bust kind of people? Or did it effect people who were willing to move around as well?

Edited by AntelopeofZeus, 07 July 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#43 googs

googs
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

The class size for 2015/2016 basically doubled from 2014/2015. I think that explains some of it. 

Edited by googs, 10 July 2016 - 02:16 PM.

• Anuradha likes this

#44 Anuradha

Anuradha
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Is there an active legal clinic at the school?  I am currently at the U of M and have had the chance to go to court already.  Some info on this would be great...

#45 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

Is there an active legal clinic at the school?  I am currently at the U of M and have had the chance to go to court already.  Some info on this would be great...

http://lawstudents.c...tions/?p=601306

hope this helps