lawschoolsucks

Current TRU law student answering questions.

As far as official statistics go, this is what the Career services person told me about the class of 2016

" Unfortunately, it’s still a bit too early for the Class of 2016’s stats - like other Canadian law schools, we will not have articling data to share until 6-9 months after graduation."

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

Any idea if the people who were really struggling to find articles were the Vancouver or bust kind of people? Or did it effect people who were willing to move around as well?

Edited by AntelopeofZeus

The class size for 2015/2016 basically doubled from 2014/2015. I think that explains some of it. 

Edited by googs
  • Like 1

Is there an active legal clinic at the school?  I am currently at the U of M and have had the chance to go to court already.  Some info on this would be great...

Do I have prospects of getting on the waitlist this year?

cGpa:3.0

Last 2: 3.2

LSAT:162

1 hour ago, lionelhutz54 said:

Hey there! Do 1L’s have to register for courses or are we placed in them?

You will be placed in all your 1L courses. You can ignore the emails from the registrar about registration dates. They just send those to everyone enrolled in any program. You'll eventually get login info for the online portal which has your schedule. However, the schedule for 1Ls generally changes throughout the summer while they finalize professor availability so don't get too attached to the first version you see.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, VancityAnxious said:

how hard is it to work part time during 1l?

For the majority of students, it's very difficult for a variety of reasons. One good reason is you have 7 classes per semester which is usually approximately 21 hours of in-class work. On top of that, there are hours of required reading for each class so a lot of your "free" time is spent reading and making notes so you can be prepared for the next class. Plus, you're in a new environment trying to understand new information and a new way of thinking and also where most people are trying to make new friends so there's a lot of juggling with school work, social activities, etc. with just trying to get enough sleep.

It's generally recommended that you don't work in 1L unless you absolutely have to. If you are in that situation, then imo, getting a job on campus would be the best idea as it's easier to work around your class schedule. However, they only pay minimum wage so if you need more money than that to get by, then I do know that some of my classmates did bar tending and serving in 1L and they still did well with their classes.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I did NOT work in 1L. I felt like I had more free time than I expected to, but it was not so much that I would have chosen to juggle work on top of things. I did work part time in 3L, but ended up resigning as my class schedule and volunteering schedule did not allow me enough breathing time in between. I made the personal decision that the quality of my course work took precedence over the small amount of money I was making working part-time.

At the end of the day, it's really hard to say for sure if it will work out so you need to take a long look at what your personal situation is and decide what it is you're willing to do or NEED to do to make things work for you. Good luck!