lawschoolsucks

Current TRU law student answering questions.

45 posts in this topic

Unless you've been told this directly from the faculty, this is not true. Tuition has always been paid per semester in the past so I don't see why they would change that now. Also, if you're waiting on student loans you can ignore the deadline for payment just like in undergrad. You won't lose your spot if you wait for loans to pay because the school knows majority of students have loans. However, you won't be able to get your student card activated until you pay your tuition meaning you don't have a bus pass or cheaper rates at the gym until then.

Just to clarify as well, is 18000 a good approximation of the total cost of tuition for the year? I was under the impression it was higher than that - an impression that had me waking up at night in cold terror.

Just to clarify as well, is 18000 a good approximation of the total cost of tuition for the year? I was under the impression it was higher than that - an impression that had me waking up at night in cold terrour.

Last year's tuition and fees can be found under the current and accepted student tab on the FAQ page (http://www.tru.ca/law/prospective-students/faq.html)

There hasn't been any indication that it will be significantly different for this year so hopefully you can rest easy now :)

A friend of mine's brother just graduated from TRU last week and mentioned that his brother was one of the very few that got articling positions. But this seemed contrary to what I've heard. Can you shed some light on this? For context, my friend is a bit of a university snob and can be caught up with "prestige" (he's in academia) which is why I'm especially doubtful of his claim.

A friend of mine's brother just graduated from TRU last week and mentioned that his brother was one of the very few that got articling positions. But this seemed contrary to what I've heard. Can you shed some light on this? For context, my friend is a bit of a university snob and can be caught up with "prestige" (he's in academia) which is why I'm especially doubtful of his claim.

I'm not a current TRU student, but I can tell you that I personally know 5 people who graduated from TRU last year who got articling positions in Vancouver at top firms. Not sure how this year's class is doing, but as far as I know, the firms in this city (Van) are starting to like TRU's students. Sure, there will always be the big firms who prefer those top tier graduates, but I wouldn't worry too much about it from what I've heard. The importance is on grades and networking. Network like crazy.

Flat out lie, unless 90-100% is a very few.

Flat out lie, unless 90-100% is a very few.

I've heard the placement rate for 2016 graduates is, thus far, a fraction of that.

I've heard the placement rate for 2016 graduates is, thus far, a fraction of that.

Really?  I know the first two classes are near 100% so a fraction of that just doesnt make sense.

Oh yikes, does anyone have any more info on this? I wonder what would cause such a significant change from the previous two years.

I sent an email to the career services person about this year's articling rates. So hopefully we'll have an official answer soon.

When I went to see her in the spring she said the only people who didn't get articles in the class of 2015, were

1) a person who was only looking in Kamloops,
2) a person who was only looking in Toronto. 

I personally think that reflects a lot more on the students than it does on TRU as a whole. If your completely inflexible in your location demands when your starting your career, your going to have a harder time no matter what you do or where you go. 

1 person likes this

I sent an email to the career services person about this year's articling rates. So hopefully we'll have an official answer soon.

When I went to see her in the spring she said the only people who didn't get articles in the class of 2015, were

1) a person who was only looking in Kamloops,

2) a person who was only looking in Toronto. 

I personally think that reflects a lot more on the students than it does on TRU as a whole. If your completely inflexible in your location demands when your starting your career, your going to have a harder time no matter what you do or where you go. 

Everyone who wanted to practice law in the class of 2015 eventually got articles.  

Hi, 

Any ideas on when the book list goes up for 1L? Also, what is a rough cost of the books? 

I appreciate the responses. 

I have a question I just thought of.

I have a Mac, but I've never purchased Word, Excel ect, for it because the program only lasts 1-2 years (I believe) before you have to buy it again.

I do have Pages, Numbers, and the other comparable programs for Mac.

Is that going to be an issue? Should I invest in getting Word before school starts?

I have a Mac, but I've never purchased Word, Excel ect, for it because the program only lasts 1-2 years (I believe) before you have to buy it again.

wrong.

The last time I looked it up (about 5 years ago) that was the case.

It appears you can spend 79.99 for a 1 year subscription, unless you're a student.... in which it's $79.99 for 4 years.

Yeah, that's the cheap kind of office where it expires, for a couple hundred bucks (edit: I looked it up and $149 gets it permanently, but only on PC) you can get a license that doesn't expire. Though in your case you might only want the four year version. 

Bear in mind that buying a PC laptop is so cheap that if you wanted to shell out for a 500 laptop and 100 bucks for office, you would probably have something nearly comparable in terms of ability to browse facebook, do homework, and run skype as any 4 year old mac.

Edited by celli660

Yeah, that's the cheap kind of office where it expires, for a couple hundred bucks (edit: I looked it up and $149 gets it permanently, but only on PC) you can get a license that doesn't expire. Though in your case you might only want the four year version. 

Bear in mind that buying a PC laptop is so cheap that if you wanted to shell out for a 500 laptop and 100 bucks for office, you would probably have something nearly comparable in terms of ability to browse facebook, do homework, and run skype as any 4 year old mac.

149$ one time purchase for Office 2016 suite for Mac that doesn't expire.

Edited by nicknameorpseudonym

Is that going to be an issue? Should I invest in getting Word before school starts?

Last year TRU offered 1 free year of Microsoft Office through the MyTru portal. Not sure if they plan to do the same this year but it might be worth waiting to see. I know they offered it a few weeks before classes started last fall.

1 person likes this

Oh yikes, does anyone have any more info on this? I wonder what would cause such a significant change from the previous two years.

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

I have used the Mac programs through my 2 years of law school. The only issue I have found is that I have to convert my documents to word or PDF to send them to people or submit assignments online. But not really a big deal beyond that.

Hi, 

Any ideas on when the book list goes up for 1L? Also, what is a rough cost of the books? 

I appreciate the responses.

As far as I recall, the TRU online bookstore listed the new semester's book list some time in mid August. Once you get your schedule and section numbers in early August I'd recommend keeping an eye on the online bookstore. However, it's a good idea to hold off on buying books until the week before classes since upper years will begin posting their books for sale about then.

Last year I got most of my texts used and paid about $500 total I believe. You'll obviously spend much more buying them all new. Also during orientation week, your profs should let you know if old editions will be acceptable.

1 person likes this

There has been a significant drop from the first two years. It was shocking because it was quite a drop in just one year. Not sure what else to say about this. Finding I job is not easy (I am currently looking for articling myself). But if you put in the work to apply and network something should come your way.

How concerning should this "significant drop" be to incoming 1Ls?