Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Current 1L Dual. Ask me (almost) anything.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 fangirl11

fangirl11
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Where do we send the Dual Supplemental form to? I'm assuming someone here would know. Do we email it to OLSAS or where? Please advise. 

• ryansmithjones14 likes this

#52 ryansmithjones14

ryansmithjones14
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

Can't remember where I sent mine way back when, but try reaching out to Brian Miller, Director of the Dual JD Program (http://www.uwindsor....dual-jd-program), or UDM's Admissions Office (http://www.law.udmer...ions/contact-us), they should be able to help you out. 

Edited by ryansmithjones14, 12 December 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#53 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

Is it possible to be in the Dual JD program for the 1L and then transfer to the regular JD at Windsor for the rest of the years?

Thank you for clarifying.

#54 JohnP

JohnP
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:41 PM

Is it possible to be in the Dual JD program for the 1L and then transfer to the regular JD at Windsor for the rest of the years?

Thank you for clarifying.

I can't speak from experience, as I have never attended Windsor, but a friend of mine transferred from the dual program at Windsor to Osgoode. She told that Windsor doesn't like students transferring from the dual to the single. However, you'll have a good shot at transferring to other Ontario schools, as the marking in the dual program is pretty generous.

Edited by JohnP, 23 December 2016 - 11:42 PM.

#55 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

I can't speak from experience, as I have never attended Windsor, but a friend of mine transferred from the dual program at Windsor to Osgoode. She told that Windsor doesn't like students transferring from the dual to the single. However, you'll have a good shot at transferring to other Ontario schools, as the marking in the dual program is pretty generous.

I was thinking that Windsor would be accepting of the transfer as you would already have studied with Windsor and have some of their credits for a start.

Edited by CrimNation, 24 December 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#56 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:10 AM

The marking is definitely not "very generous" you have to earn every single mark, which is listed as a percentage not letter, and the curve can really screw you over. Definitely not a walk in the park (source:current dual).There was I think one or two students who transferred to single JD but it's very difficult to do so, you need extenuating circumstances, they won't care about your marks. Easier to transfer to other Ontario schools. If you're sole goal of dual is to transfer I'd consider taking a year off to reapply, rewrite lsat and try and up your grades. It costs a lot of money and doesn't make sense to take up someone else's spot who may genuinely be interested in the program.

#57 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

The marking is definitely not "very generous" you have to earn every single mark, which is listed as a percentage not letter, and the curve can really screw you over. Definitely not a walk in the park (source:current dual).There was I think one or two students who transferred to single JD but it's very difficult to do so, you need extenuating circumstances, they won't care about your marks. Easier to transfer to other Ontario schools. If you're sole goal of dual is to transfer I'd consider taking a year off to reapply, rewrite lsat and try and up your grades. It costs a lot of money and doesn't make sense to take up someone else's spot who may genuinely be interested in the program.

Are you familiar with people who have transferred to other Ontario schools? If so, how often are people successful in doing so? And could you elaborate a little on the curve. I understand it's around a "B" which is 70-75 on the Windsor percentile scale?

Edited by ristiisa, 24 December 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#58 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

Approximately 10-15 students transfer each year (about that number did in mine). Not sure how many applied but didn't get in. Our classes are on a 73-75 curve which means they take your "raw score" and adjust it artificially at the end of the semester to meet this curve. Your raw score itself doesn't matter, it's how you rank compared to others which determines your final grade. So for example let's say your final mark is 75, but the distribution of grades is 75-80, so that means you technically got the lowest mark in the class and your final grade might get dropped to 69-70 so that the class average is around that 73-75 mark. That's my understanding at least. If you're looking to exclusively get into this program to transfer, I'd advise against it. There's certainly some issues which need to be addressed but there's many people who would kill to be here, there's no guarantee you can even transfer (meaning you're taking a very expensive gamble), and the experience (classes, clinics, moots, externships, speaking engagements, etc) and the friends you make will last a life time. If you have further questions please reach out to the admin or any dual students you know. This thread is filled with trolls who love to hate on the program but aren't even duals so have 0 experience with it. Talk to the admin or actual duals. Good luck!
  • ristiisa likes this

#59 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

Approximately 10-15 students transfer each year (about that number did in mine). Not sure how many applied but didn't get in. Our classes are on a 73-75 curve which means they take your "raw score" and adjust it artificially at the end of the semester to meet this curve. Your raw score itself doesn't matter, it's how you rank compared to others which determines your final grade. So for example let's say your final mark is 75, but the distribution of grades is 75-80, so that means you technically got the lowest mark in the class and your final grade might get dropped to 69-70 so that the class average is around that 73-75 mark. That's my understanding at least. If you're looking to exclusively get into this program to transfer, I'd advise against it. There's certainly some issues which need to be addressed but there's many people who would kill to be here, there's no guarantee you can even transfer (meaning you're taking a very expensive gamble), and the experience (classes, clinics, moots, externships, speaking engagements, etc) and the friends you make will last a life time. If you have further questions please reach out to the admin or any dual students you know. This thread is filled with trolls who love to hate on the program but aren't even duals so have 0 experience with it. Talk to the admin or actual duals. Good luck!

Thank you for your response! I ask regarding the transfers out of curiosity - I have no personal interest in doing so at any point. That seems like quite a substantial number of students leaving though. I appreciate your input on the curve as well, that seems to make it quite competitive if your final grade is more or less relative to your peers. I would assume this is not unique to Windsor however - I have not done my research. Thanks again for your help, all the best.

• CanadianJD27 likes this

#60 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

I just received an email from the University of Windsor that I am still missing the following document(s):

Law Writing Sample (Dual JD)

‚ÄčIs this because I still have not written my LSAT (I am writing on February 4th)?

Thank you for the clarification guys!

#61 DescartesBeforeTheHorse

DescartesBeforeTheHorse
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Are you or any of your classmates dual citizens?

#62 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

Well I have the Canadian citizenship. What do my classmates have to do with this?

#63 erinl2

erinl2
  • Moderators
  • 4083 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

It's actually a reasonable question. Dual citizenship would automatically provide the opportunity to legally work in either country, without immigration/visa concerns.

• DescartesBeforeTheHorse and Trigger like this

#64 Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron
  • Members
  • 1456 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

Well I have the Canadian citizenship. What do my classmates have to do with this?

CrimNation, your classmates have nothing to do with this. Descartes was clearly asking a question of the original poster, not of you.

• DescartesBeforeTheHorse likes this

#65 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

It's actually a reasonable question. Dual citizenship would automatically provide the opportunity to legally work in either country, without immigration/visa concerns.

CrimNation, your classmates have nothing to do with this. Descartes was clearly asking a question of the original poster, not of you.

Oh ok, but do any of you know what's up with the law Writing Sample that I am apparently missing?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that I have not completed my LSAT yet?

#66 ChrisSquats

ChrisSquats
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Oh ok, but do any of you know what's up with the law Writing Sample that I am apparently missing?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that I have not completed my LSAT yet?

I would think so.  You have not taken the LSAT, therefore you have not completed the writing sample. It is not apparently missing, it is missing. As in, not yet completed. 

Edited by ChrisSquats, 28 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#67 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

I just received an email from the University of Windsor that I am still missing the following document(s):

Law Writing Sample (Dual JD)

‚ÄčIs this because I still have not written my LSAT (I am writing on February 4th)?

Thank you for the clarification guys!

Make sure Windsor accepts Feb LSAT scores, I remember this may have been an issue for other schools when I was applying. If you're unsure/have other questions, try reaching out to Stephanie, she's the new Dual Admin http://www.law.udmer...hanie-winbigler

• Trigger likes this

#68 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Make sure Windsor accepts Feb LSAT scores, I remember this may have been an issue for other schools when I was applying. If you're unsure/have other questions, try reaching out to Stephanie, she's the new Dual Admin http://www.law.udmer...hanie-winbigler

From my understanding single JD does not take February LSAT but Dual JD does.

But anyways, thank you, I will contact Stephanie.

#69 Dual1720

Dual1720
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Yes! I am a dual citizen, and I know of at least one other dual citizen in my year. Makes things a lot easier in terms of the immigration/visa process. 

• DescartesBeforeTheHorse likes this

#70 DescartesBeforeTheHorse

DescartesBeforeTheHorse
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

Yes! I am a dual citizen, and I know of at least one other dual citizen in my year. Makes things a lot easier in terms of the immigration/visa process. 

Thanks! Does it have any impact on things like cost of tuition? I'm not really sure I'll apply (hoping to get into schools I've applied to this cycle), but helpful to keep in mind for next year. I can see the value of this program, particularly as a dual citizen, but I'm not yet sold. U of C has a dual program with Houston, but this sounds more convenient than flying down to Texas.

#71 Dual1720

Dual1720
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thanks! Does it have any impact on things like cost of tuition? I'm not really sure I'll apply (hoping to get into schools I've applied to this cycle), but helpful to keep in mind for next year. I can see the value of this program, particularly as a dual citizen, but I'm not yet sold. U of C has a dual program with Houston, but this sounds more convenient than flying down to Texas.

Cost of tuition stays the same. That being said, keep in mind that Dual JDs pay less for our UDM law degree and our Windsor law degree than single JDs pay for just a UDM law degree. 

Yes, the U of C does have that program, but it takes four years and there's no guarantee entry after you start at the U of C. So, if a dual program is what you want, Windsor/Detroit is a faster program and you start it right off the bat

#72 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Just a heads up, if you're a citizen of one of the effected countries of Trump's "Muslim ban" (http://www.cnn.com/2...xtreme-vetting/) you might have a problem crossing the border to UDM. Several students from the Dual program can no longer cross the border for class (at this time) and have to skype in from Windsor. That said, hopefully the controversy will be over with by August/September as the executive order is "temporary" and is not supposed to last more than 90-120 days, but its something you should keep in mind. 

#73 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

http://windsorstar.c...to-quebec-trump

#74 legallyblonde0

legallyblonde0
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVaughan

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Do you think its a bit easier to get into the dual program in comparison to the J.D. I was looking at Detroit's statistics and it looks like they accept people with low 150 LSATS. Also, do you know anyone who has been accepted who did have a lower LSAT score?