dual2018

Current 1L Dual. Ask me (almost) anything.

74 posts in this topic

Anyone who says they chose the dual program over another Canadian JD they were accepted to is lying. It's a last chance option for everyone.

Well, this is pretty invalid. I'm currently in the Dual program because I fully plan on practicing in Canada and in the US... It was my first choice because of the benefit of getting a US and Canadian JD. Just because it wasn't yours, that doesn't mean you speak for everyone. 

4 people like this

I have been waitlisted since April, anyone in the same predicament and got accepted, or heard of cases similar to my situation, or are my chances extremely low because Ive been waiting so long? Please help!

I have been waitlisted since April, anyone in the same predicament and got accepted, or heard of cases similar to my situation, or are my chances extremely low because Ive been waiting so long? Please help!

Hi yella123 (and to anyone on the waitlist)

I think a couple people may have been accepted last minute, so don't lose hope yet! Have you tried calling UDM or UWindsor to get an update? 

Hello CanadianJD27, i have called them but they refuse to let me know the probability of me getting accepted, they keep saying that july 2nd provisional offer holders become firm holders so there will be space to accept more ppl off the waitlist. But at this point i feel like everyone who has been waitlisted already received an offer with a couple of weeks whereas i have been waitlisted for a couple months, a really stressful situation

I'm wondering if you have insight on cdll phone providers. I'm currently with fido and I'm eligible to upgrade my plan and get a new phone but I'm unsure if Fido's service is good in Windsor. Any thoughts?

1. Does wind mobile work well around the University of Windsor and Mercy Law premises?

2. Are the dual degree grades curved based on dual degree class only (especially for 1st year courses)?

1. Yes, Wind works perfectly in Windsor/Detroit. When in Windsor you're so close to Detroit that you can catch AT&T. That being said if you're on another provider, doesn't make any sense to switch. I can catch Canadian signal from UDM in almost any part of the building. 

2. All of your classes at UDM, whether Dual or electives, are curved. Typically you can expect a 0.3-0.4 jump in your UDM GPA and then that higher GPA is converted into a percentage. For non-Dual required classes there isn't any jump. So for instance, if you receive 3.0 in a required Dual class at UDM, whatever Windsor's equivalent of a 3.3/3.4 is what gets reported on your Windsor transcript. Windsor classes (required or non-required) are curved as well but there is no "boost." Whatever your grade is after the curve that's what your grade is.

1. Yes, Wind works perfectly in Windsor/Detroit. When in Windsor you're so close to Detroit that you can catch AT&T. That being said if you're on another provider, doesn't make any sense to switch. I can catch Canadian signal from UDM in almost any part of the building.

2. All of your classes at UDM, whether Dual or electives, are curved. Typically you can expect a 0.3-0.4 jump in your UDM GPA and then that higher GPA is converted into a percentage. For non-Dual required classes there isn't any jump. So for instance, if you receive 3.0 in a required Dual class at UDM, whatever Windsor's equivalent of a 3.3/3.4 is what gets reported on your Windsor transcript. Windsor classes (required or non-required) are curved as well but there is no "boost." Whatever your grade is after the curve that's what your grade is.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

How is the schedule for the dual program for first and second year dual jd students. Are you required to take civil procedure ?

How is the schedule for the dual program for first and second year dual jd students. Are you required to take civil procedure ?

Both US and CDN Civil Procedure are required courses. You take US Civ Pro in your 1L summer, and CDN Civ Pro in 2L. Ours was in the Fall of 2L

Do dual 1L courses have assignments and midterms (on top of finals)? Do they have full-year courses instead of semester courses in the first year?

Do dual 1L courses have assignments and midterms (on top of finals)? Do they have full-year courses instead of semester courses in the first year?

Generally, the only class with assignments will be legal writing (ALTA). There are some courses, depending on the prof, that may have an optional essay (taking percentage away from your final exam.. you still write the same full-length exam, though). First year, all courses are full-year. Midterms in December, final exams in April. Midterms weight vs. final exam weight varies with each course (ranges from 20% midterm to 40% midterm depending). 

Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a student line of credit to help w tuition  yet the bank has asked for a letter indicating that i have accepted my offer at windsor. I called Windsor and they said i can request for a "Certificate of enrollment" on UWindsor but the person was not helpful as she refused to tell me how i go about doing. Could someone please help me and list the steps!!!!!

Hi Yella, 

If you log into your myuwindsor account, on the top of the screen select the "Academics" Tab. Once you get to that page, on the left side scroll down to "Enrolment Certificate." Forward that and you're good to go.

Hi Yella, 

If you log into your myuwindsor account, on the top of the screen select the "Academics" Tab. Once you get to that page, on the left side scroll down to "Enrolment Certificate." Forward that and you're good to go.

I don' think this is an option in your first year.

I know that we'd need a study permit/student visa to legally go to university in the States. How long does it take for the visa to be processed and for you to receive it?