Antipodean

Certificate framing

Any ideas for where best to get the LSUC certificates and notary certificate framed that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Michaels. And there is usually a 50% off a single item coupon every month. Check online for their flyer.

I'm curious, do most of you have degrees etc. framed and on your office wall? I think mine are in the basement somewhere. Not out of any sort of modesty or anything more procrastination/laziness. I worked with a guy who had just about everything he had ever done framed and on his wall. He'd been called in 3 provinces, worked on an admin tribunal for a while and was in the Forces so he had it all up on the wall of his office. Being a repressed wasp I always thought it was a bit much but clients seemed to like it based upon the conversations I overheard. I think it was as much a conversation starter as at a look at me.

Mine are in the basement. My wife did get them framed for me.

But i never have people outside my branch come visit my office. I go to them.

pretty sure i'm the only lawyer in my office without degrees framed on the wall.  

My solicitor certificate and notary certificate are in frames that I think I got at Walmart. Barrister's certificate required a special frame at Michael's because it's a weird size. All told, framing cost me about $20. 

Does approx $300 combined qualify as an arm and a leg?

http://www.brilliantframes.ca/lawyers/

What about $400 for just the LSUC certificate?

https://www.leaderframes.com/store/index.php?cPath=75_67

...but it does say "Law Society" right on the frame... so....

Oooooohhhhh shinyyyyyy

:rolling:

ETA:

On a tenuously related subject... does anybody want a $150-dollar-LSUC scarf with pictures of Osgoode's stained glass on it?

...I'm actually asking. Does anybody in the world want this?

https://ecom.lsuc.on.ca/gifts/

Edited by ericontario
  • Like 1

ETA:

On a tenuously related subject... does anybody want a $150-dollar-LSUC scarf with pictures of Osgoode's stained glass on it?

...I'm actually asking. Does anybody in the world want this?

https://ecom.lsuc.on.ca/gifts/

[portion only quoted]

The description of this (and the other scarf similarly): "Limited edition ladies black silk scarf..." troubles me. Both because of the term "ladies" and because it specifies a gender for the scarf.

Almost makes me want to call up and ask when they'll be getting mens - excuse me, gentlemens - limited edition silk scarves in...

Not that I'd spend this much on a scarf I'd almost never wear (the very rare occasion when it's very cold and I have to stand outside wearing a suit and overcoat?).

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Greetings everyone, I completed my Bachelors degree from India last year, And I have a 3.7 GPA With 170 LSAT Score. My Ambition is to work as a Lawyer in Canada, But I'm really afraid to apply as I don't know about the job prospects for International Students in Canada.  I know how risky it is, To come to Canada on a student visa, And expect a job after three years on a post graduation work permit. So is it worth applying, as an international student?
    • It seems to be a recent phenomenon where getting approved without a cosigner with no credit history is the norm. Is it a fairly safe assumption that not much is going to change between now and this time next year? Probably. But why chance it? It's not hard to get a good credit score. If you open a basic student credit card account and make minimum payments on time for a year or so you'll probably have a score of around 700~. You have to be late an entire 30 days before a late payment is reported on your credit report (though banks may increase your interest rate if you're consistently late). You don't even really have to worry about paying off the balance in full each month--though it is good advice to help avoid overspending--as long as you pay down the balance to lower your utilization around a month or so before you apply for credit, as far as your credit score is concerned you're in the exact same position as a person who paid the card off in full each month. If you get a card from your current bank, you can link your credit card and debit card with online banking. Meaning you log into online banking and you'll see both accounts. You can see your credit card minimum payment and due date and transfer whatever amount you want from your debit account to your credit card to make a payment. It only takes a few seconds. Most banks even have features where they will text or email you notice that you have a payment coming up. There's really no hassle at all, it's not much more than a 30 second commitment once a month. As far as rent goes, rent generally doesn't show up on your credit report unless you were missing payments and your landlord took you to the tenancy board and got a judgement against you. Cell phone bills are reported on your credit report, but they don't really help to establish credit--they mostly just hurt you if you miss payments. Utilities like cable/internet/house phone won't show up unless they go to collections. Some cities will also send things like unpaid parking tickets to a collection agency too. Not having a credit card doesn't necessarily mean you have no credit. My girlfriend did a number on her credit score by making a bunch of late cellphone payments during undergrad for example If you want to verify whether you have (or don't have) a credit history you can get a free credit check from Borrowell (Equifax score) or CreditKarma (a Transunion based score). Borrowell updates your score automatically once a month and CreditKarma does it weekly. They're VERY useful.  
    • Waitlisted on May 10. LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.
    • Accepted about a week ago. LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.
    • Congrats! Double congrats for u! Did you get an email or check on website?