Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

I'm currently a student - Ask me anything

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

Employment stats for Dual:
All the informative threads I read talk about Bay St stats only. How about other classmates? Are they completely out of a job or do they mostly work at small firms, etc? What is the articling rate?

I hear that most students get a job in King's landing, but some also land jobs in Dorne, the Iron Islands, and Winterfell. Hell, I've even heard of some going north of the wall and working with the free folk.

On a serious note, I can only made anecdotal comments about employment for the duals. For the most part it seems the program is comparable to most others in the country in terms of placement. Some use their degree to work in Michigan (detroit) or practice transnational law. Otherwise, small shops, bay street, medium size firms, government, you name it, there are duals who work in every area/size firms.

#52 whoknows

whoknows
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Do we get reading week(s) in 1L? I'm looking at the academic calendar and we seem to get a study week in NOV, something called PILS in January, and reading week in February?

Edited by whoknows, 12 July 2016 - 04:31 PM.

• whoknows likes this

#53 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

Seems like they must have changed it. When I was in 1L, PILS week was during our fall reading week, so be grateful of that. I would imagine study week is the same thing as reading week, in which case you get a week off in Nov and a week off in Feb

#54 pseudo1234

pseudo1234
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Seems like they must have changed it. When I was in 1L, PILS week was during our fall reading week, so be grateful of that. I would imagine study week is the same thing as reading week, in which case you get a week off in Nov and a week off in Feb

You are correct Plinko. They have changed it. There is a reading week the first semester, PILS week is now right after New Years, so 1Ls come back a week earlier than 2 and 3Ls. There is also a reading week in 2nd semester. Current 1L here.

Edited by pseudo1234, 01 February 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#55 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

I found it easy to find a place to live. I would recommend looking for housing in Sandwich Town, places on University Ave between Sunset and Campbell, or Downtown (if you have a car). There are a lot of independent listings so it's wise to check kijiji or other websites to locate places.

There are tons of extra cirriculars at the school. In the first month you will find clubs, clinics, law review, pro bono, etc. look for volunteers/members. It's a good idea to keep your eyes open and look for opportunities in the first few weeks. The social events are amazing. In September there is social orientation month with a lot of events. I would highly recommend signing up for all the events. It's a great way to get to meet others and it's a lot of fun.

What are some nicer areas of the city regardless of commute distance to look at for accommodation?

#56 legallyblonde0

legallyblonde0
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Do you know anyone who has been accepted with a low LSAT score?

• superwoman1994 likes this

#57 hermoine123

hermoine123
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

I noticed that many other school forums have AMA threads and I thought I would make one for Windsor Law. Many people have sent me PM with questions and I figured I would make a thread so others (including non LS members) have a chance to access the information.

I'm currently a 2L in the single JD program. I welcome any and all questions about the school, living in Windsor, and any other questions you may have.

I encourage other students to participate in answering questions as well. 

Just wondering what your personal statement was like and what type of extracurriculars/number of curriculars you had while applying. I am applying and id like to compare my stats against someone whose been accepted just to check where we stand. Thanks 

#58 dexter99

dexter99
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Hi there - I`ve been trying to find a list of electives Windsor offers, without luck on their site.

I was wondering if  you could share with us some of the elective options you have taken or seen

#59 Strawbree

Strawbree
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hi there - I`ve been trying to find a list of electives Windsor offers, without luck on their site.

https://www.uwindsor...ons_2016-17.pdf

Keep in mind that the above is only for the 2016-2017 academic year. Not all courses are offered every year, etc.
  • Luca likes this

#60 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

What are some nicer areas of the city regardless of commute distance to look at for accommodation?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Most law students live within walking distance to the school (University/Sunset area) or Downtown. There are a few apartment buildings on Riverside, which is a nice area (in my opinion), but beyond this I'm not sure. 

#61 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

Do you know anyone who has been accepted with a low LSAT score?

Depends on what you mean by "low" - I would refer to the Accepted thread for this information.

#62 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

Just wondering what your personal statement was like and what type of extracurriculars/number of curriculars you had while applying. I am applying and id like to compare my stats against someone whose been accepted just to check where we stand. Thanks 

This is going to vary considerably depending on your grades/LSAT score. There's more weight given to these categories. I wrote my personal statement ~3 years ago, so I can't remember exactly. You may get more recent information from someone who has been recently accepted. My extra circulars were quite extensive (sat on the unviersity senate/president of pre-law society, sat on other student gov.). Again, I want to reiterate it's different for everyone and my application is not indicative of what Windsor Law will accept!

#63 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

https://www.uwindsor...ons_2016-17.pdf

Keep in mind that the above is only for the 2016-2017 academic year. Not all courses are offered every year, etc.

I was wondering if  you could share with us some of the elective options you have taken or seen

Refer to this link ^

Also, keep in mind the courses offered change every year. There are some courses that are only offered every other year, and I know some professors who are implementing new courses. I believe the final course list comes out around July-August.

There are tons of electives you can take. It largely depends on what area of law you're interested in. I would refer to the list, and if you don't see a particular course, just ask and see if I've seen or heard of anyone taken it.

#64 imalwaysanxious

imalwaysanxious
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi there.

This might be a stupid question but is it true that there are no windows in classrooms at Windsor Law?

#65 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Hi there.

This might be a stupid question but is it true that there are no windows in classrooms at Windsor Law?

Sadly, this is true. 

• snowdays234 likes this

#66 Luca

Luca
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationPickering, ON

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Where is the ideal living area when attending law school, without having a car? 

Planning my move for September as I have accepted my offer from Windsor and I have been looking at apartments (brainstorming right now mainly). 

• april23jules likes this

#67 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Where is the ideal living area when attending law school, without having a car? 

Planning my move for September as I have accepted my offer from Windsor and I have been looking at apartments (brainstorming right now mainly). 

Congrats on accepting your offer! Welcome to an amazing school.

You're likely going to want to find a place between sunset-campbell on/just off University if you don't have a car. There are some Skyline owned apartment buildings (Askin, etc.) that are close. Also, Cantebury College also usually has rooms available (which is the closet you can get).

Also living on the other side of the bridge is an option (there are some buildings in Sandwich town).

Hope that helps.

• akulamasusu likes this

#68 YemenJemen

YemenJemen
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

What are the bursaries/scholarships like for Windsor? I've heard that everyone who relies on OSAP is given a certain amount every year.

#69 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

What are the bursaries/scholarships like for Windsor? I've heard that everyone who relies on OSAP is given a certain amount every year.

The bursaries / scholarships at Windsor are excellent. Everyone who relies on OSAP is guaranteed money and the school is giving out more money each year. This is just for the "in-course bursary" fund... There are tons of other bursaries for students that meet certain requirements / academic achievements. 

• april23jules likes this

#70 vmodi29

vmodi29
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hey, this might be a random question, but would you happen to know how many people are accepted off of the wait list? (I'm not asking for exact numbers, but maybe you have a rough idea) Thank you.

#71 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hey, this might be a random question, but would you happen to know how many people are accepted off of the wait list? (I'm not asking for exact numbers, but maybe you have a rough idea) Thank you.

I have no idea. I think the only way you might be able to tell is looking at previous years waitlist threads. Sorry I can't help

#72 imalwaysanxious

imalwaysanxious
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

One more question. I'm driving down to Windsor tomorrow to look at housing + law school tour on Wednesday. I'm a little older than your avg 1L student and I'm more interested in having a nice place than getting cheaper rent. Do you have any recommendations on where to look besides the Riverside area?

Thanks again.

#73 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

One more question. I'm driving down to Windsor tomorrow to look at housing + law school tour on Wednesday. I'm a little older than your avg 1L student and I'm more interested in having a nice place than getting cheaper rent. Do you have any recommendations on where to look besides the Riverside area?

Thanks again.

I've been told there are nice-r areas of Windsor beyond the law school radius (i.e. south of Wyandotte and/or east of Oullette) but i'm not familiar with the areas enough to give advice about living there. I would say a general rule of thumb is to avoid living on west side of the bridge (except Sandwich town which is a decent place to live) and you should be okay.

Good luck!

Edited by Plinko, 27 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.