Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

I'm currently a student - Ask me anything

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 midxoxo

midxoxo
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:47 AM

I have a few questions, so please bare with me! (Sorry!)

First, as every law school cliche, I'm interested in big law. You touched on it a bit, but would you say that the reputation of the school has an impact on hiring? For summers, articling, etc.

Second, in terms of academics, would you say it is difficult to maintain grades and such? And how are marking/course layouts? 

Third, I'm going to live in Canterbury College, and I was wondering how far things are from the university? When I drove around there, (I'm going to be without a car in the fall), the grocery store and the shopping plazas seemed a bit far. 

Thank you!! 

#27 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

I have a few questions, so please bare with me! (Sorry!)

First, as every law school cliche, I'm interested in big law. You touched on it a bit, but would you say that the reputation of the school has an impact on hiring? For summers, articling, etc.

Second, in terms of academics, would you say it is difficult to maintain grades and such? And how are marking/course layouts? 

Third, I'm going to live in Canterbury College, and I was wondering how far things are from the university? When I drove around there, (I'm going to be without a car in the fall), the grocery store and the shopping plazas seemed a bit far. 

Thank you!! 

1. I think the reputation has very little to no impact on hiring for students. Once you have an interview I think the likelihood of getting a job is entirely in your hands. The school will get your foot in the door, the rest is up to you. Either way don't be discouraged or concerned about the school's reputation because many of my colleagues are summering/articling in biglaw.

2. I'd say it depends. It's different from undergrad because you're now competing against others that expect to have top marks as well. I find that some people figure out how to write law school exams easily while others struggle. Either way 1L is set up so that your midterm marks (dec exams) are weighted a lot less for most of your courses so even if you have some trouble with the exams you have time to go over what you can improve for winter exams.

3. Canterbury is a great place. I've been there many times, super close to the school. Yes I would say the one major drawback is the distance from stores. The closest grocery store is on Huron Church Rd. and it's about a 3-5 min drive. You could bike there, but again with groceries not the best option. I know that every Tuesday night there's a free bus that leaves from campus to the grocery store you could look more into, but otherwise try and find a friend with a car.

Hope these answers help and feel free to ask any further questions.

#28 mross

mross
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

Is there a Facebook group or other website where roommate listings are posted by/for Windsor students?

#29 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

Is there a Facebook group or other website where roommate listings are posted by/for Windsor students?

Windsor Law Students - All Years has some posts. Otherwise if there's a class of 2019 group created that would be another place to look.

#30 lawboy5

lawboy5
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

Does articling typically cover most of the cost of tuition? Do most law students find employement soon after graduation?

#31 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Does articling typically cover most of the cost of tuition? Do most law students find employement soon after graduation?

Depends on how much debt you have, if you have savings to cover some of the cost of tuition, where you article (i.e. corporate law pays more than crim law), and other expenses (i.e. having to rent a place in TO). 

I will say that most of the 3Ls I've talked to found employment (articling positions - no idea if they secure an associate job), however I do not have any concrete evidence to back up how many/what percentage of students find employment. 

#32 stillhopefull16

stillhopefull16
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

I'm not overly interested in corporate law (at this point) or relocating, especially to Toronto, for any articulating or summer jobs. Have you found that there is positions available in smaller centers or in Windsor? Or will I have to move to Toronto to find a position?

#33 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:16 AM

I'm not overly interested in corporate law (at this point) or relocating, especially to Toronto, for any articulating or summer jobs. Have you found that there is positions available in smaller centers or in Windsor? Or will I have to move to Toronto to find a position?

There are definitely job opportunities in smaller cities. The difficulty is that it's not as obvious as jobs in larger cities (such as Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, etc.) because they are not advertised in an obvious way, such as OCIs. Our Career Centre does a good job of advising students of employers in Windsor and other places about jobs, however you may have to do some research and/or networking yourself.

There is a dedicated period for articling interview schedule for Southwest Ontario and other places where firms will typically advertise positions (usually early summer before you begin articles). There are also positions that pop up later in the year after all the formal recruit, usually at smaller firms when they can better assess if they have the resources to support an articling student, and this goes the same for summer students as well.

In summary, yes there are jobs, maybe not as many, but it will take extra attention/effort to seek out the positions.

#34 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

I should also note that there aren't many places in Windsor (or I believe other "small" cities) that hire summer students. There are some but definitely not as many as Toronto. There are more opportunities for articling in these places.

#35 whoknows

whoknows
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

What were your first year classes like? Mostly lectures? Lot's of discussion? Was the general tone of class different, perhaps even elevated, from what you were used to in undergrad? What strategies did you find successful in specific courses? What were professors expectations like?

#36 fluffy

fluffy
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

I should also note that there aren't many places in Windsor (or I believe other "small" cities) that hire summer students. There are some but definitely not as many as Toronto. There are more opportunities for articling in these places.

Are there jobs generally available after 1L for those that want them? I have a lot of government work experience, have graduate degrees and thus am older. Would that make a difference or is it mostly down to grades (or a combination i imagine)? 

Thanks.

#37 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:21 AM

What were your first year classes like? Mostly lectures? Lot's of discussion? Was the general tone of class different, perhaps even elevated, from what you were used to in undergrad? What strategies did you find successful in specific courses? What were professors expectations like?

First year classes were mostly lectures. there are a couple classes designed for more discussion based learning (i.e. access to justice), otherwise it's only lectures (and tutorials should you choose to attend).

For the purposes of this question i'll assume you did a BA in something... it's not that much different. There is more material, and it may or may not be more complex, but otherwise the format is generally the same (go to lectures, do your readings, write exams, etc.)

I found that my strategies varied a lot from the class. Some profs rely on the textbook, others don't even require readings from a textbook, sometimes it's useful to read the text before class, other times it's not. It really does depend on your prof. What I did find helpful is taking really good notes on material for the week of that class, so that way come December or April, you don't have to spend time going back and making better notes (and make sure you are always caught up! it will seem overwhelming if you get behind).

Prof expectations: I would say they are very cognizant of the fact most students haven't taken any law classes before, and in first year (especially at the beginning) they will walk you through it.

#38 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Are there jobs generally available after 1L for those that want them? I have a lot of government work experience, have graduate degrees and thus am older. Would that make a difference or is it mostly down to grades (or a combination i imagine)? 

Thanks.

1L jobs (at a firm or law related) are tough to land. There is a 1L recruit around January and, from what I know, it comes down mostly to grades, but they also look at experience and undergrad marks. I'm not too knowledgeable about the process, but I'm of the opinion that it doesn't take anything besides time and effort to apply so I would encourage you to apply even if your 1L marks by January (at this point you'll likely only have 2 or 3 marks) aren't superb.

#39 mross

mross
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

How large was your largest 1L class?

#40 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

How large was your largest 1L class?

Most classes are lectures and there are 80ish students in them. The smallest are classes such as access to justice which has about 25 students.

#41 Sherkhan

Sherkhan
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hi!

Thanks for taking time out to answer questions, its been very helpful so far. If you don't mind, I have a lot of few questions of my own.

1. How are the Libraries like? Are they usually crowded and full or can you find a place to sit and study? What are the Library hours like? Would you recommend any other place on or off campus to study?

2. Is the public transport at Windsor reliable to get to and back from campus? If it is not reliable as a whole, are there some routes that are?

3. I have Wind Mobile. Would you, by any chance, know how the coverage is like in Windsor? Would you recommend changing networks?

Thank you!! 

#42 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hi!

Thanks for taking time out to answer questions, its been very helpful so far. If you don't mind, I have a lot of few questions of my own.

1. How are the Libraries like? Are they usually crowded and full or can you find a place to sit and study? What are the Library hours like? Would you recommend any other place on or off campus to study?

2. Is the public transport at Windsor reliable to get to and back from campus? If it is not reliable as a whole, are there some routes that are?

3. I have Wind Mobile. Would you, by any chance, know how the coverage is like in Windsor? Would you recommend changing networks?

Thank you!! 

My pleasure, that's what this forum is for :-)

1. There are two libraries. The law library and the university library. The law library is surprisingly large. It's three floors and there is always space. However the popular spots (i.e. the desk at the windows on the main floor) are busy-ish, but you can usually get a spot there. The major drawback is that you can't bring coffee in the library (boo). The other library is Leddy which is about a 1 min walk from the law school and it's bigger, though very busy. It's crammed with UG students and it's not a very good space. However you can bring & drink coffee in this library, which is sometimes the only reason i'll go. Any other spots... Inside the law school buildings students usually study at the cafe or at a table somewhere else in the building. Off campus, I'm not too sure as I usually study at the school or at home. I imagine you can easily go to a starbucks or a tims and study if you so choose. 

2. It is definitely not as reliable as it would be in a city like Toronto or Ottawa. I can't speak too much about the best routes because I've never (thankfully) taken transit in Windsor. I've heard from some people it's a nightmare, and others say it's not terrible. So, I think it's fair to say it's a nightmare at worst and not terrible at best.

3. No idea. I have Telus which works fine, but I have no knowledge about Wind mobile.

• whoknows likes this

#43 Strawbree

Strawbree
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

Check out the coverage map on their website if you haven't already.

I visited Windsor a few months ago and I use Wind as well. I spent time at the University and surrounding area, in downtown, in Little Italy, and along a large stretch of the riverfront. I had only one issue and that was after I had been under the bridge my phone was telling me that I was in the States for the next 10 minutes or so. Overall, I was happy and I plan on keeping them.

#44 Sherkhan

Sherkhan
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

Thanks guys!

#45 whoknows

whoknows
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

What brand are the campus ATMs?

#46 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

What brand are the campus ATMs?

I'm actually not too sure. I know there's an ATM in the CAW, but I can't recall what brand it is, or if it's even a brand. It might be a generic ATM machine. 

#47 meager

meager
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

Windsor Family Credit Union 

#48 yella123

yella123
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I have been waitlisted since April, anyone in the same predicament and got accepted, or heard of cases similar to my situation, or are my chances extremely low because Ive been waiting so long? Please help!

#49 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

I've heard of people being accepted in August. It really depends on where you sit on the waitlist to determine whether you will be accepted and a multitude of dynamic factors. I'm sorry to say there's no predictability measure here and you just need to keep your hopes up. They haven't forgotten about you, it just depends on circumstances out of your control.

• yella123 likes this

#50 tyrion

tyrion
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

Employment stats for Dual:
All the informative threads I read talk about Bay St stats only. How about other classmates? Are they completely out of a job or do they mostly work at small firms, etc? What is the articling rate?