Plinko

I'm currently a student - Ask me anything

89 posts in this topic

Hi!

Thanks for taking time out to answer questions, its been very helpful so far. If you don't mind, I have a lot of few questions of my own.

1. How are the Libraries like? Are they usually crowded and full or can you find a place to sit and study? What are the Library hours like? Would you recommend any other place on or off campus to study?

2. Is the public transport at Windsor reliable to get to and back from campus? If it is not reliable as a whole, are there some routes that are?

3. I have Wind Mobile. Would you, by any chance, know how the coverage is like in Windsor? Would you recommend changing networks?

Thank you!! 

Hi!

Thanks for taking time out to answer questions, its been very helpful so far. If you don't mind, I have a lot of few questions of my own.

1. How are the Libraries like? Are they usually crowded and full or can you find a place to sit and study? What are the Library hours like? Would you recommend any other place on or off campus to study?

2. Is the public transport at Windsor reliable to get to and back from campus? If it is not reliable as a whole, are there some routes that are?

3. I have Wind Mobile. Would you, by any chance, know how the coverage is like in Windsor? Would you recommend changing networks?

Thank you!! 

My pleasure, that's what this forum is for :-)

1. There are two libraries. The law library and the university library. The law library is surprisingly large. It's three floors and there is always space. However the popular spots (i.e. the desk at the windows on the main floor) are busy-ish, but you can usually get a spot there. The major drawback is that you can't bring coffee in the library (boo). The other library is Leddy which is about a 1 min walk from the law school and it's bigger, though very busy. It's crammed with UG students and it's not a very good space. However you can bring & drink coffee in this library, which is sometimes the only reason i'll go. Any other spots... Inside the law school buildings students usually study at the cafe or at a table somewhere else in the building. Off campus, I'm not too sure as I usually study at the school or at home. I imagine you can easily go to a starbucks or a tims and study if you so choose. 

2. It is definitely not as reliable as it would be in a city like Toronto or Ottawa. I can't speak too much about the best routes because I've never (thankfully) taken transit in Windsor. I've heard from some people it's a nightmare, and others say it's not terrible. So, I think it's fair to say it's a nightmare at worst and not terrible at best.

3. No idea. I have Telus which works fine, but I have no knowledge about Wind mobile.

1 person likes this

Check out the coverage map on their website if you haven't already.

I visited Windsor a few months ago and I use Wind as well. I spent time at the University and surrounding area, in downtown, in Little Italy, and along a large stretch of the riverfront. I had only one issue and that was after I had been under the bridge my phone was telling me that I was in the States for the next 10 minutes or so. Overall, I was happy and I plan on keeping them.

What brand are the campus ATMs?

I'm actually not too sure. I know there's an ATM in the CAW, but I can't recall what brand it is, or if it's even a brand. It might be a generic ATM machine. 

I have been waitlisted since April, anyone in the same predicament and got accepted, or heard of cases similar to my situation, or are my chances extremely low because Ive been waiting so long? Please help!

I've heard of people being accepted in August. It really depends on where you sit on the waitlist to determine whether you will be accepted and a multitude of dynamic factors. I'm sorry to say there's no predictability measure here and you just need to keep your hopes up. They haven't forgotten about you, it just depends on circumstances out of your control.

1 person likes this

Employment stats for Dual:

All the informative threads I read talk about Bay St stats only. How about other classmates? Are they completely out of a job or do they mostly work at small firms, etc? What is the articling rate?

Employment stats for Dual:

All the informative threads I read talk about Bay St stats only. How about other classmates? Are they completely out of a job or do they mostly work at small firms, etc? What is the articling rate?

I hear that most students get a job in King's landing, but some also land jobs in Dorne, the Iron Islands, and Winterfell. Hell, I've even heard of some going north of the wall and working with the free folk.

On a serious note, I can only made anecdotal comments about employment for the duals. For the most part it seems the program is comparable to most others in the country in terms of placement. Some use their degree to work in Michigan (detroit) or practice transnational law. Otherwise, small shops, bay street, medium size firms, government, you name it, there are duals who work in every area/size firms.

Do we get reading week(s) in 1L? I'm looking at the academic calendar and we seem to get a study week in NOV, something called PILS in January, and reading week in February?

Edited by whoknows
1 person likes this

Seems like they must have changed it. When I was in 1L, PILS week was during our fall reading week, so be grateful of that. I would imagine study week is the same thing as reading week, in which case you get a week off in Nov and a week off in Feb

Seems like they must have changed it. When I was in 1L, PILS week was during our fall reading week, so be grateful of that. I would imagine study week is the same thing as reading week, in which case you get a week off in Nov and a week off in Feb

You are correct Plinko. They have changed it. There is a reading week the first semester, PILS week is now right after New Years, so 1Ls come back a week earlier than 2 and 3Ls. There is also a reading week in 2nd semester. Current 1L here.

Edited by pseudo1234

I found it easy to find a place to live. I would recommend looking for housing in Sandwich Town, places on University Ave between Sunset and Campbell, or Downtown (if you have a car). There are a lot of independent listings so it's wise to check kijiji or other websites to locate places.

There are tons of extra cirriculars at the school. In the first month you will find clubs, clinics, law review, pro bono, etc. look for volunteers/members. It's a good idea to keep your eyes open and look for opportunities in the first few weeks. The social events are amazing. In September there is social orientation month with a lot of events. I would highly recommend signing up for all the events. It's a great way to get to meet others and it's a lot of fun.

What are some nicer areas of the city regardless of commute distance to look at for accommodation?

I noticed that many other school forums have AMA threads and I thought I would make one for Windsor Law. Many people have sent me PM with questions and I figured I would make a thread so others (including non LS members) have a chance to access the information.

I'm currently a 2L in the single JD program. I welcome any and all questions about the school, living in Windsor, and any other questions you may have.

I encourage other students to participate in answering questions as well. 

Just wondering what your personal statement was like and what type of extracurriculars/number of curriculars you had while applying. I am applying and id like to compare my stats against someone whose been accepted just to check where we stand. Thanks 

Hi there - I`ve been trying to find a list of electives Windsor offers, without luck on their site.

I was wondering if  you could share with us some of the elective options you have taken or seen

Hi there - I`ve been trying to find a list of electives Windsor offers, without luck on their site.

https://www.uwindsor.ca/law/academic-coordinator/sites/uwindsor.ca.law.academic-coordinator/files/jan_17_master_course_descriptions_evaluations_2016-17.pdf

Keep in mind that the above is only for the 2016-2017 academic year. Not all courses are offered every year, etc.

1 person likes this

What are some nicer areas of the city regardless of commute distance to look at for accommodation?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Most law students live within walking distance to the school (University/Sunset area) or Downtown. There are a few apartment buildings on Riverside, which is a nice area (in my opinion), but beyond this I'm not sure.