Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

I'm currently a student - Ask me anything

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

I noticed that many other school forums have AMA threads and I thought I would make one for Windsor Law. Many people have sent me PM with questions and I figured I would make a thread so others (including non LS members) have a chance to access the information.

I'm currently a 2L in the single JD program. I welcome any and all questions about the school, living in Windsor, and any other questions you may have.

I encourage other students to participate in answering questions as well. 

• Hegdis and rickyjulianbubbles like this

#2 jennaw

jennaw
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hey! What did your schedule look like in first year?

#3 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

In first year you will be divided amongst three sections, so class schedules will vary. I didn't have classes on Friday in the Fall Semester but I did in the Winter. It looked something like this:

Monday - 1:00-2:30

Tuesday - 1:00-2:30 , 5:00-8:00

Wednesday - 9:00am-12:00pm, 3:00-6:00

Thursday - 1:00-2:30

Again, your class schedule will depend on your section. I recall that one section had a lot of classes on Tuesday (3 classes) and less the rest of the week.

Here are the courses you will take in 1L (as a Single JD)

Contracts, Criminal Law, Property Law, Constitutional Law, Legal Research and Writing, Access to Justice (Fall) and Torts (Winter) 

Hope that answers your question!

#4 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Was it easy finding a place to live/ is there somewhere you recommend living? How are extra-curriculars/ social events? thanks!

#5 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

I found it easy to find a place to live. I would recommend looking for housing in Sandwich Town, places on University Ave between Sunset and Campbell, or Downtown (if you have a car). There are a lot of independent listings so it's wise to check kijiji or other websites to locate places.

There are tons of extra cirriculars at the school. In the first month you will find clubs, clinics, law review, pro bono, etc. look for volunteers/members. It's a good idea to keep your eyes open and look for opportunities in the first few weeks. The social events are amazing. In September there is social orientation month with a lot of events. I would highly recommend signing up for all the events. It's a great way to get to meet others and it's a lot of fun.

#6 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

Oh cool thanks for the info :). I was also wondering when classes start? When I was accepted to the dual (which i'm now going to turn down for the single) they told me it was mid-August.. but does the single start a bit later than that?

#7 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

Yep, the Single JD program starts at the beginning of September.

#8 lalaland554

lalaland554
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Locationwhitby, ON

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

how much time on average per week do you spend on studying/reviewing/doing assignments? 

#9 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

It all depends. There are peaks times (midterms, finals) where studying and writing papers will take a lot of hours in the week. Generally though I would say I read about an 1-1.5 hrs a week for each class that requires textbook readings, depending also on how dense/interesting the readings.

Assignments obviously take more time, however generally there aren't a lot of "assignments" in law school (at least at Windsor). The main components of a course are either just midterm or final, or a paper/final or quizzes/final. Again, it all depends on who your professor is and how they structure the course. 

Sorry for the somewhat equivocal answer... there are many factors that will influence the time spent for each class. 

#10 lalaland554

lalaland554
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Locationwhitby, ON

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

no that was actually very helpful thank you. I have heard horror stories of law students spending upwards of 20-30 hours the library per week trying to stay on top of work. thank you! :) 

#11 megatron7

megatron7
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:21 AM

Okay first, I thought there would be way more classes/time dedicated to being at school than a couple of hours a day! That's a shock.

Do you work? I'm thinking with that class schedule working a part time job would be no problem. Would you recommend it?

#12 Emily12

Emily12
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

I am interested in criminal law. Does Windsor cater to this?

#13 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

Okay first, I thought there would be way more classes/time dedicated to being at school than a couple of hours a day! That's a shock.

Do you work? I'm thinking with that class schedule working a part time job would be no problem. Would you recommend it?

A couple of hours of textbook reading and taking notes per class a week I should say. But come exams it gets a lot crazier. 

I don't work. I wouldn't recommend having a part time job, mainly a) when it's exam and assignments time you need every precious minute, b) you don't want to spend your free time working on top of school, I think it would be too much c) it won't give you time to join clubs, volunteer at legal clinics, etc. - unless the part time job is directly tied to legal work you should do other activities that will give you a leg up when it comes to OCIs d) you can get a line of credit with a bank if you are worried about finances. 

Unless you absolutely have to work for financial reasons or something else, I wouldn't recommend getting a part time job, at least for first year. 

#14 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

I am interested in criminal law. Does Windsor cater to this?

We have some great criminal law professors and classes. I'm not entirely sure how a school can cater to criminal law. For example we don't have a criminal law clinic, however we do get some criminal cases at CLA (Community Legal Aid - a clinic you can volunteer with). 

Edited by Plinko, 30 March 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#15 rickyjulianbubbles

rickyjulianbubbles
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Is there a residence for law students? If so, would you recommend it? I haven't heard of much talk regarding residences for Windsor. I know schools like Osgoode offer a designated residence just for its 1L's. 

#16 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

Two years ago there was a building that had a floor for law students, however the building was extremely old and run down and last year they tore it down. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any replacements for res options, however even if there was, I would highly recommend against it. You can easily rent a room for a lower price within a 10 min walking distance of the school and get a lot more space. I believe there are general res options if for some reason you really want to live in res, however I don't think it's worth it.

I was really surprised when I got to law school how easy it is to meet other people (especially given the relatively small class size of Windsor). At Windsor you get the advantages of res such as living close to the school and meeting people without the disadvantages such as overpaying for a room with no kitchen and small space. Oh yea and they make you buy a meal plan if you live on res and let me tell you, I have friends that did this first year and they hated it. Basically they ate subway and pizza pizza for 2 meals a day, 7 days a week, for 8 months :mellow:

#17 rickyjulianbubbles

rickyjulianbubbles
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

Two years ago there was a building that had a floor for law students, however the building was extremely old and run down and last year they tore it down. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any replacements for res options, however even if there was, I would highly recommend against it. You can easily rent a room for a lower price within a 10 min walking distance of the school and get a lot more space. I believe there are general res options if for some reason you really want to live in res, however I don't think it's worth it.

I was really surprised when I got to law school how easy it is to meet other people (especially given the relatively small class size of Windsor). At Windsor you get the advantages of res such as living close to the school and meeting people without the disadvantages such as overpaying for a room with no kitchen and small space. Oh yea and they make you buy a meal plan if you live on res and let me tell you, I have friends that did this first year and they hated it. Basically they ate subway and pizza pizza for 2 meals a day, 7 days a week, for 8 months :mellow:

Awesome, thanks a lot! Yea, I figured that res would be like that. Windsor law seems to be an inviting and open place so I'm assuming that after first year, some law students end up rooming together? 

#18 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Awesome, thanks a lot! Yea, I figured that res would be like that. Windsor law seems to be an inviting and open place so I'm assuming that after first year, some law students end up rooming together? 

Yep. it's pretty common. Also once the 1L group is made some people look for roommates on Facebook for first year.

• rickyjulianbubbles likes this

#19 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

I received a question in a PM that I think would be beneficial for others to read my response, and with the users permission I will repost the question and answer here:

Question:

"I am just curious, and I apologize if you have already answered this elsewhere, how come you chose to attend Windsor for law school?  You seem to have an abundance of positive experiences and perspectives when it comes to Windsor Law.  Did you think so fondly of the program before attending, or has it grown on you so much?"

Answer:

"I'm one of those classic cases of choosing Windsor based on limited selection. I was waitlisted at a couple schools but Windsor stroked my ego by admitting me very early so I chose to attend and I heard the job prospects for Toronto were decent.

I had some reservations about the school, program, and city before I attended, but I decided to keep an open mind. I was struck by how friendly everyone was at the school and the willingness of the faculty and career services to help students succeed. I think it has grown on me, but I never developed a negative impression of the school, and my experiences haven't proven me otherwise. When you get into the midst of applying for jobs you realize how little it matters what school you attend (at least on the surface - I don't know if I was rejected from some job considerations due to the school, but I doubt it). The fact is that Windsor is cheaper than other schools, the cost of living is lower, and there's actually some nice scenery in the city and decent restaurants, pubs, and even nightclubs. You'll quickly find when you're hanging around at the 'lounge' area of the school (we call it the pit) that you'll just talk to people and feel like you know everyone.

I guess that's what has appealed to my positivity about the school and why I feel its important to reassure people who have some of the thoughts I had initially about the reputation, and other 0L concerns that don't really matter, that it's a great school to attend."

• sweetgal126, FunnyLawName, dual2018 and 2 others like this

#20 lawboy5

lawboy5
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

Hi,

What do you think is the future of Windsor law? Is its reputation growing? Also, what are the articling prospects like for uWindsor students? Did most of your classmates secure an articling position at good firms?

#21 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

What do you think is the future of Windsor law? Is its reputation growing? Also, what are the articling prospects like for uWindsor students? Did most of your classmates secure an articling position at good firms?

The future of Windsor law...... Hmm, without my crystal ball handy I'm not sure. However, I will say this much, it's reputation is fine and will only grow stronger. 

I'm currently a 2L student so myself and my classmates are currently (or will) applying for articling positions. I have a fair number of friends that are on bay street and other big multinational firms that have articling secured but I'm not worried about the rest of my classmates securing good articling positions too. 

#22 lawboy5

lawboy5
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

The future of Windsor law...... Hmm, without my crystal ball handy I'm not sure. However, I will say this much, it's reputation is fine and will only grow stronger. 

I'm currently a 2L student so myself and my classmates are currently (or will) applying for articling positions. I have a fair number of friends that are on bay street and other big multinational firms that have articling secured but I'm not worried about the rest of my classmates securing good articling positions too. 

Thank you. Would you say the majority of students will receive a decent articling position by second year? Is there any data that shows how each school does when it comes to placing 2nd and 3rd year students in articling positions (OCIs etc)?

#23 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

Thank you. Would you say the majority of students will receive a decent articling position by second year? Is there any data that shows how each school does when it comes to placing 2nd and 3rd year students in articling positions (OCIs etc)?

There is no data that I am aware of.

Decent articling position by second year? The formal recruit for articling begins in May after second year. Do you mean third year? I have no idea. If it makes you feel better most of the 3Ls I talked to this year had articling positions somewhere, but I do not know the % of students that had positions lined up.

Edited by Plinko, 25 April 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#24 lawboy5

lawboy5
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Does Windsor provide a good amount of diversity in their upper-year courses (i.e. criminal, real estate...). Is there a type of law that is underrepresented at Windsor?

#25 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Does Windsor provide a good amount of diversity in their upper-year courses (i.e. criminal, real estate...). Is there a type of law that is underrepresented at Windsor?

I would say there is a good amount of choices for upper year courses. Probably not as selective as schools such as Oz or Ottawa, but I think there's some specific interesting classes. Two I can think off the top of my head would be Animal Law and White Collar Crime.  

I'm guessing there's probably some super specific corporate law courses Windsor doesn't offer, however I would say it's easy to fill up your schedule with classes you'll find interesting.