Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a 1L at Dal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

Another question: Does anyone ever make the trip to Boston, New York, etc? Is it super pricey to fly? I'm just thinking that it might be cool to catch a basketball game or a big concert if I'm at Dal for school. Boston is closer that Montreal too. Does the ferry still run from Nova Scotia to MA?

Edited by Cruizer, 13 June 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#52 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Another question: Does anyone ever make the trip to Boston, New York, etc? Is it super pricey to fly? I'm just thinking that it might be cool to catch a basketball game or a big concert if I'm at Dal for school. Boston is closer that Montreal too. Does the ferry still run from Nova Scotia to MA?

I've never looked into it, so I'm not much help. I think I've heard something about a ferry? I'm sure the information is readily available online. 

Other people took trips for sporting events. Also, Dal approved a second reading week starting in the fall, which seems like a good time to go. 

#53 boundary27

boundary27
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Never thought of that but thats an awesome idea.. 

#54 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

Never thought of that but thats an awesome idea.. 

Yeezy coming to Boston and New York this fall lets do it! 

• healthlala likes this

#55 boundary27

boundary27
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

Yeezy coming to Boston and New York this fall lets do it! 

Im in! 

#56 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

Im in! 

haha dude i'm dead serious. If I end up at Dal ill take the trip to boston to see Ye. Its' before classes start too

#57 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

final question

Would it be detrimental to fly home for a weekend in mid october? around the 15-16. I would probably leave on Friday/Saturday and come back Tuesday evening. So I would likely be missing at least 2 classes 

#58 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

final question

Would it be detrimental to fly home for a weekend in mid october? around the 15-16. I would probably leave on Friday/Saturday and come back Tuesday evening. So I would likely be missing at least 2 classes 

I don't think it's detrimental (although I tried not to miss lectures). I'm sure you can get class notes from someone and there are usually CANs (Condensed Annotated Notes). 

I probably wouldn't book until I get my syllabi (syllabuses?) and reading lists for each course. There's a take-home assignment sometime in the fall and it would likely be better not to make travel plans for that weekend. Ours were assigned after those dates. Some groups had them from October 30th - November 2nd and I think another section got them on November 9th.  I don't know if the dates change based upon year and professors' preferences. But I'd wait if I were you.

Edited by realpseudonym, 16 June 2016 - 12:23 PM.

• Cruizer likes this

#59 healthlala

healthlala
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

You can find cheap flights depending: www.skyscanner.ca is the best for finding the cheapest travel dates .. Sometimes I've seen them as low as $200 roundtrip but they're usually $250-$350! The ferry isn't really worth it because you have to drive all the way to Yarmouth (about 4.5-5 hrs from Halifax)

• Cruizer likes this

#60 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

In regards to housing, Is Northpoint Properties a reputable company to deal with? It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit Halifax to search for places before classes start. 

http://rentinhalifax...0-south-street/

This looks pretty decent and affordable if I could find a roomate. Helps that its walking distance to Dal 

Edited by Cruizer, 22 June 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#61 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

In regards to housing, Is Northpoint Properties a reputable company to deal with? It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit Halifax to search for places before classes start. 

This looks pretty decent and affordable if I could find a roomate. Helps that its walking distance to Dal 

Sorry, I don't have any experience dealing with them. I know that they have affordable units in good locations (I sound like a commercial). There are those two. They also have apartments on Shirley St

I don't know how accurate or comprehensive this is, but I like to check to see if a place is on bedbugregistry before I rent it (I don't rent it, if I think there are bugs). Bed bugs suck, literally and figuratively. 

Edited by realpseudonym, 23 June 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#62 healthlala

healthlala
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

I have a friend that lived here last year and they had no complaints if that helps :) Super good location too

#63 torontobase

torontobase
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

When did you get information about courses/ sections/ etc.? Should we be expecting in July or August?

Thanks

#64 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

Last year, Rose emailed us some information about registration at the end of June. We block registered (meaning that we just signed up and were assigned our schedule) for courses in the first week of July. 

According to this, registration for first-years started yesterday. I assume that's accurate? That page also contains links to instructions and whatnot.  

Edited by realpseudonym, 14 July 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#65 CrimMajor

CrimMajor
  • Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:18 AM

It's the same deal with year - just signed up for Block 15 courses (as well as all single block first year courses).

Last year, Rose emailed us some information about registration at the end of June. We block registered (meaning that we just signed up and were assigned our schedule) for courses in the first week of July. 

According to this, registration for first-years started yesterday. I assume that's accurate? However, I don't really know. That page also contains links to instructions and whatnot.  

#66 solas

solas
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

What time does class usually start in first year? Just want to know how far from school I can live before I start hating myself.

#67 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

What time does class usually start in first year? Just want to know how far from school I can live before I start hating myself.

It depends on your section. Now that you've registered (or you can register, if you're a student) you should be able to see your schedule. Log onto dalonline, go to Web for Students, click Registration, select Student Schedule by Date and Time, and then enter a date during the academic term.  

Edit: you can also see the times for classes here.

Edited by realpseudonym, 18 July 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#68 stupidtranscripts

stupidtranscripts
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Any suggestions for home internet providers?

#69 Underwood

Underwood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Canada

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

The two main providers (there are still only two as far as I know) are Eastlink and Bell. I've been with both, and the services are largely indistinguishable. Often, come the start of the school year they both offer a "student plan". One will frequently undercut the other, but that's not to say it's always Eastlink, or always Bell that provides the better deal. 

Anecdotally, I paid $74.69, taxes in, for 50 Mbps high speed with Eastlink. But come September, if Bell is cheaper, I'll likely switch, or attempt to leverage Bell's offer against Eastlink to get a better deal.

• stupidtranscripts and terasoi like this

#70 coffeeplease

coffeeplease
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

I am wondering if you think there would be any drawbacks to living directly beside the law building (noise, traffic, etc)? Thanks!

#71 neymarsr

neymarsr
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

No real downsides. Just be ready for some wild Saturday nights. That's when the professors turn up in the Atrium.
  • realpseudonym, Underwood and coffeeplease like this

#72 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

The two main providers (there are still only two as far as I know) are Eastlink and Bell. I've been with both, and the services are largely indistinguishable. Often, come the start of the school year they both offer a "student plan". One will frequently undercut the other, but that's not to say it's always Eastlink, or always Bell that provides the better deal. 

Anecdotally, I paid $74.69, taxes in, for 50 Mbps high speed with Eastlink. But come September, if Bell is cheaper, I'll likely switch, or attempt to leverage Bell's offer against Eastlink to get a better deal.

Eastlink's student special is currently about $60.00 for 50 mbps and Bell's student special is $65 for 100 mbps (both pretax). However, you have to be in a building that's equipped for Bell's stupidly named Fibe (fibre-optics) to qualify for their offer. If not, you're on their DSL network. Which is slower.

Edited by realpseudonym, 12 August 2016 - 01:08 PM.

• Underwood likes this

#73 brandy

brandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

Dalhousie is far away from Toronto. How is the OCI for Toronto?

#74 MrJimBusiness

MrJimBusiness
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Does anyone know how we find out what section we're in or if that's given to us at a later date? I'm not sure if we should have found out when we registered for our assigned block or not!

#75 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

Does anyone know how we find out what section we're in or if that's given to us at a later date? I'm not sure if we should have found out when we registered for our assigned block or not!

Rose Godfrey sent us an email last year. There was an excel attachment, which listed everyone by section. I think it was sent on August 10th.

I'd suggest emailing Rose to ask, if nothing shows up in your Dal email soon.