Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a 1L at Dal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#26 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'd consider 40 words per minute kind of slow for law school purposes. I was probably marginally faster than that when I first got here and found it a little tough to get down everything I wanted to in lectures. I'm sure once you're around 60+ per minute, then you're definitely fast enough to do well on an exam (although everything helps). 

Like neymarsr said, you'll usually improve just by typing in class though -- I did. But when I practiced online, I got a lot better. 

edit: If you're not a touch typist (i.e., you don't use all of your fingers, but rather hunt-and-peck 1-3 fingers), then I would recommend a course. 

Edited by realpseudonym, 16 April 2016 - 01:56 PM.

• FITONE likes this

#27 Ilikecoffee

Ilikecoffee
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do you guys know how Dal calculates your last 2 if you're currently in 4th year?  Would they take the first semester of 4th year, 3rd year, and the 2nd semester of 2nd year?  Or do they not split years?

#28 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:29 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do you guys know how Dal calculates your last 2 if you're currently in 4th year?  Would they take the first semester of 4th year, 3rd year, and the 2nd semester of 2nd year?  Or do they not split years?

I'm not really sure. I always thought that they meant the last ten credits that you'd done, i.e., that they probably would split years. I've never checked this though -- I'm just assuming. 

Maybe email them?

#29 7years

7years
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the post! How many words per minute should the goal be? 40+ words per minute, or higher?

Thanks.

#30 7years

7years
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:54 AM

If you can get to 60wpm, that's great! Also, definitely don't worry about spelling mistakes. As long as someone can read it and make out the sentence/word, you are good.

ps - sorry for reposting your question, FITONE. It's too early in the morning..... Hahaha!
  • FITONE likes this

#31 Pumpkin94

Pumpkin94
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are financial advisers at dal who could help me in choosing what my best plan of action for payment would be (ex. Student government loan versus a line of credit.)

#32 solas

solas
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

Dumb question that I can't seem to find an answer to: do I need to send my final transcripts in if I've already accepted my offer?

• neymarsr likes this

#33 neymarsr

neymarsr
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

My grades dropped slightly in second semester (once I knew I was accepted) so I chose not to send my final transcript in. It didn't hurt me and I still received a decent entrance scholarship so I'd say you're fine.

#34 BeyondaReasonableStout

BeyondaReasonableStout
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

Dumb question that I can't seem to find an answer to: do I need to send my final transcripts in if I've already accepted my offer?

No, I asked Rose when I got accepted and she said sending in a final transcript helps her with making the first year statistics, but it is not required.  

• realpseudonym likes this

#35 solas

solas
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

Awesome, thanks guys.

#36 boundary27

boundary27
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

I've got a 2 bedroom apartment locked down for September in Halifax and I'm just wondering what the best way to find a roommate is? I'd like to live with someone in my law class in order to be on a similar schedule. When about a does a Facebook group usually pop up for accepted applicants?

#37 Pumpkin94

Pumpkin94
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hey I've got a dumb question, do we have dal emails already? If so where do I find mine?

#38 MrJimBusiness

MrJimBusiness
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Hey I've got a dumb question, do we have dal emails already? If so where do I find mine?

Hey okay so I don't know if I was supposed to but I did! You can get it through using your student number (given to you on your acceptance letter) and you can use the link below to find your netID which is also your email! Again I'm not sure if I was supposed to do it but it worked!

EDIT: I don't think the link works by clicking on it from here, what I did was google "my dal what is my netid" and the first link should bring you to the right page with a bunch of links!

https://password.dal.ca/ 

Edited by MrJimBusiness, 11 May 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#39 Himalaya

Himalaya
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Bit of a random one here, but what are prices like for internet service in apartments? Do any of the providers have worthwhile student deals?

#40 Underwood

Underwood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Canada

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

When you consider that you're either going with Bell or Eastlink, and their packages are virtually the same (with the exception that one typically undercuts the other from year to year on their student deals) you begin to understand that their really isn't much choice. The price works out to be about $55-65 for the (basic, non fiber-op) student deal (only available during the school semester typically), and $65-75 during the summer months.

#41 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are financial advisers at dal who could help me in choosing what my best plan of action for payment would be (ex. Student government loan versus a line of credit.)

I'm not sure whether they have anyone who specializes in this kind of advice or not. On the "contact us" page for money matters, they urge you to contact the registrar's office with questions about loans. 

I'm not sure you want more specific advice, but I think most students apply for government student loans and student professional lines of credit (PSLOC). They use the government loan first, because it's interest free during their study period. Then they put the rest on the PSLOC. After graduation, many will pay off their government loans with extra credit they have on their PSLOC, because the rate is generally lower on the bank loan, once interest starts accruing on the government debt. Hope that helps. 

Edited by realpseudonym, 17 May 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• FITONE likes this

#42 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

I've got a 2 bedroom apartment locked down for September in Halifax and I'm just wondering what the best way to find a roommate is? I'd like to live with someone in my law class in order to be on a similar schedule. When about a does a Facebook group usually pop up for accepted applicants?

The best way would probably be facebook, although you could start a thread on this site too.

I think someone started our facebook group around this time last year. It might've been one of the organizers on the O-Week committee. Have you received any information regarding orientation, yet?

Edited by realpseudonym, 17 May 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#43 Cruizer

Cruizer
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

Do you find the "national reach" description of Dal to be accurate? Do firms from Western Canada come to Dal for OCIs? I'm asking about Vancouver specifically. Also, are there any summer events/meetups scheduled in other provinces before the school year begins? I haven't been accepted yet, but I will be interviewing, and the thought of potentially moving to the other side of the country is exciting and daunting at the same time. 

Edited by Cruizer, 08 June 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#44 dlenz

dlenz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Edited by dlenz, 08 June 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#45 dlenz

dlenz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

Do you find the "national reach" description of Dal to be accurate? Do firms from Western Canada come to Dal for OCIs? I'm asking about Vancouver specifically. Also, are there any summer events/meetups scheduled in other provinces before the school year begins? I haven't been accepted yet, but I will be interviewing, and the thought of potentially moving to the other side of the country is exciting and daunting at the same time. 

Not an L1 but I can speak a bit on this. I'm from Calgary and I know the big firms here are good about recruiting from Dal. I know someone who does hiring at one of the bigger AB firms and this year they hired 3 Dal articling students and 3 dal summer students, which was comparable to the numbers they hired from the Alberta schools. So if Vancouver is anything like Calgary, i'd say the national reach statement is pretty accurate. 

As far as a meet up goes, Rose said in a letter after the deposit that they would provide further information in July.

#46 Pumpkin94

Pumpkin94
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Does anyone know the dates of when the orientation time starts for dal? I know classes start the 9th but I wasn't sure if there are a few days before this for orientation.

#47 coffeeplease

coffeeplease
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

I believe classes and orientation begin on September 6th. Rose said that more detailed information will be sent out in July.

#48 Cantpickausername

Cantpickausername
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

What is the best option for parking near Dal? Preferably one I don't have to show up 3 hours early in order to get a spot.. 

#49 0toJD

0toJD
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationfast lane

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

What is the best option for parking near Dal? Preferably one I don't have to show up 3 hours early in order to get a spot.. 

If you dont mind paying around 1.2k for the year, you may be able to get in the CSB parkade which is just behind the computer science building, and a 1 minute walk from Weldon

#50 realpseudonym

realpseudonym
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

I don't have a car. So, I don't really know anything about parking. Here's a map of the parking spots on the main campus though and here's the parking page (don't know if you've already looked at them). I know people who parked on the side streets and moved their cars during the day to avoid tickets. I think that's what 7years suggested here.

Does anyone know the dates of when the orientation time starts for dal? I know classes start the 9th but I wasn't sure if there are a few days before this for orientation.

I believe classes and orientation begin on September 6th. Rose said that more detailed information will be sent out in July.

September 6th is all the info I've seen so far. Last year, O-Week ran from September 8th – September 13th. We had a "first case" and and an Orientation to Law lecture during that time, but classes didn't really start until the following week. We started getting info about O-Week in the first week of July. 

Not an L1 but I can speak a bit on this. I'm from Calgary and I know the big firms here are good about recruiting from Dal. I know someone who does hiring at one of the bigger AB firms and this year they hired 3 Dal articling students and 3 dal summer students, which was comparable to the numbers they hired from the Alberta schools. So if Vancouver is anything like Calgary, i'd say the national reach statement is pretty accurate. 

As far as a meet up goes, Rose said in a letter after the deposit that they would provide further information in July.

Yes, big firms (and some other employers) recruit out of Western Canada during OCIs. From what I've seen so far, there aren't as many as from Toronto (there are a lot of big Toronto firms in general), but the opportunities exist.  

Regarding Dal's national reach to smaller firms and other employers who don't use the more formal channels, well, I don't really see how Dal is better than any other school. I guess there are alumni scattered across the country. You might have an in with them, insofar as you can go, "Hey, you went to Dal? I went to Dal. Something something using that to foster a personal connection." But aside from that, I'm not sure how much the national reach thing exists beyond the formal recruitment process. Apply skepticism liberally, though -- I haven't really participated in OCIs yet. Maybe someone who's been through the process can offer more information. 

I think there are supposed to be regional BBQs hosted by upper-years in different cities later this summer. 

Edited by realpseudonym, 13 June 2016 - 01:24 PM.

• coffeeplease likes this