Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was never waitlisted, so I learned little about it. I don't know if the waitlist tends to move this late in a cycle. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Obviously, it's getting pretty close to the semester. Based upon your June 14th posts, the resident waitlist has stayed still all summer. Anything could happen — someone could change their mind — but the odds seem kinda long at this point.

 

What do you mean by "nixing your hopes"? Are you asking whether you should emotionally prepare for rejection? If so, the answer is probably yes, but it doesn't matter that much. Rejection can be really hard, but barring some sort of mental illness or other factor, I'm sure you'll get through it. If you're asking about whether you should take practical steps to give up on Dal and go to UNB, then that's a little different.

 

I guess a couple of questions come to mind. First, do you actually want to go to UNB? Or rather, would you be okay going there? If you wouldn't for some specific reason (e.g., you have a significant other / family who you don’t want to leave, you’d suffer undue financial hardship, you have a horrible fear of rivers but not oceans, etc.), then well, maybe you have your answer. Otherwise, I think UNB will probably give you a fine legal education. Plus, it’s cheaper than Dal.

 

Second, if you’d be ok moving to Fredericton, then do you have a place to live there (with utilities and everything set-up)? If not, then it’s getting pretty late. Provided you want to go to law school this year (as opposed to waiting and maybe needing to reapply to Dal next cycle), then yeah, you should probably be preparing to move. If you haven’t already, take all the practical steps involved in going away for school.

 

Sorry, I can’t provide more insight on the waitlist itself. Good luck.

 

Thanks! I do have everything sorted to go to UNB - just very much hoping I will be able to stay home and attend Dal, and curious if you may have had any insight as to when things start to move, if at all. Particularly with a cut-off date of September 16th, I was finding it hard to gauge if this was because it likely moves once the year has begun, or to encourage people to simply re-apply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! Appreciate you doing this thread... how do entrance scholarships work? Like would I already have one in my acceptance package or are they awarded later? 

 

Thanks!!

Edited by buslaw99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! Appreciate you doing this thread... how do entrance scholarships work? Like would I already have one in my acceptance package or are they awarded later? 

 

Thanks!!

 

 

I think there's usually an offer of an entrance scholarship in the acceptance letter (but I'm not sure if this is always the case). The bigger ones are handed out a little later in the cycle.  

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! Appreciate you doing this thread... how do entrance scholarships work? Like would I already have one in my acceptance package or are they awarded later?

 

Thanks!!

I emailed Rose and she said some of them have been awarded (the $3000-$5000 ones) and were indicated on the admission letter - but not all of them. The larger ones will come around mid-February.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's usually an offer of an entrance scholarship in the acceptance letter (but I'm not sure if this is always the case). The bigger ones are handed out a little later in the cycle.

I was just awarded one of the bigger scholarships requiring application today, and the email said that the automatic entrance scholarship ($5,000) I'd been offered in my acceptance letter would be offered to someone else! There were a number of larger scholarships requiring application, and probably several of the recipients had previously been offered automatic entrance scholarships. So my guess is that there will be another round of automatic entrance scholarships distributed shortly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) does Dal have a diverse student body?

2) how are the winters?

3) how is the nightlife? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2016 at 9:27 AM, Cruizer said:

Do you find the "national reach" description of Dal to be accurate? Do firms from Western Canada come to Dal for OCIs? I'm asking about Vancouver specifically. Also, are there any summer events/meetups scheduled in other provinces before the school year begins? I haven't been accepted yet, but I will be interviewing, and the thought of potentially moving to the other side of the country is exciting and daunting at the same time. 

hey man, i'm from vancouver and i feel the same way. if you ended up going to Dal, was it worth it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tssb94 said:

1) does Dal have a diverse student body?

2) how are the winters?

3) how is the nightlife? lol

1) more diverse than the rest of the HRM area but, uh, that's not saying particularly much.

2) depends where you're from. there's lots of snow (and lots of unnecessary snow days) but not nearly as cold as a lot of other places (calgary, montreal, etc.). obviously if you're used to balmy vancouver weather it might be a bit more of an adjustment.

3) it's not really my scene but not great, from what i can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tssb94 said:

1) does Dal have a diverse student body?

2) how are the winters?

3) how is the nightlife? lol

1) I didn't go to dal, but I live downtown and it's a standard city IMO. However, depends what you're used to and what you're looking for. 

2) The winter weather is also how you can expect it to be. It's snowy and cold. But not as snowy as way way up north and not as cold as somewhere like Manitoba/Northern manitoba or even ottawa. And solas is right, the unis get a ridiculous amount of snow days and its usually during midterm season which is awesome. 

3) Be sure to take everyones opinion with a grain of salt (mine included)! Everyone looks for and prioritizes different things - whether or not you like it will be completely up to you and your preferences. I'm a "come from away" as they call it out here haha. I'm originally from ontario, I did my undergrad on the east coast and recently moved to Halifax. I absolutely love it here. Its a small city with incredible people, sooo many little coffee shops and hidden gems of restaurants/bakeries/places to grab a beer, the city is full of history and character, the buildings are so colourful (never seen so many pink, yellow, green, blue houses in my life), etc. I personally love the nightlife in Halifax, theres a few of your dirty grinding clubs (the dome, toothy moose, etc) then theres a wackload of sit down pubs with little dance floors once in a while (think alehouse, durty nellys, etc).

I have not met a person who has came to halifax/the east coast for school and has regretted it. Sure, they might not stick around permanently like I did but they love it and appreciate it and end up being the rich people that flood the small ocean-side towns in the summers with their boats and kids and cute little cottages because the east coast will always be a soft spot for them. 

For any future readers, I do give you this advice: while sitting with a few east coast friends the other day, they were laughing at all these girls who come from toronto and vancouver to go to dal and they dont do anything. They go home, go to the bars, go to class, take pictures infront of the cute buildings and that's it. If you want to gain a full and complete appreciation for what the east coast has to offer and why people are so proud to come to the east coast (and to lead a healthy lifestyle and get off instagram), find an east coast friend who will take you out on their boat, kayaks, paddle boards, etc. Snowshoes are free to rent from the city of halifax - do it and drive an hour out of the city and go for a hike. Spend a weekend in september doing the cabot trail, but do it for real... don't just drive it and take a sweet insta shot of you gazing out into the ocean - actually stop, pull over, put your hiking boots on and do the hikes and the trails and swim in the waterfalls. Stay in halifax for a summer and you'll be treated to the beaches, the awesome night life (gets waaaayyyyy better in the summer), the good weather and the awesome hungover patio brunches. 

I apologize for my rant - a little off topic. Also excuse any typos. Didn't proof read it (good lawyer play right there). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rachelzane3 said:

1) I didn't go to dal, but I live downtown and it's a standard city IMO. However, depends what you're used to and what you're looking for. 

2) The winter weather is also how you can expect it to be. It's snowy and cold. But not as snowy as way way up north and not as cold as somewhere like Manitoba/Northern manitoba or even ottawa. And solas is right, the unis get a ridiculous amount of snow days and its usually during midterm season which is awesome. 

3) Be sure to take everyones opinion with a grain of salt (mine included)! Everyone looks for and prioritizes different things - whether or not you like it will be completely up to you and your preferences. I'm a "come from away" as they call it out here haha. I'm originally from ontario, I did my undergrad on the east coast and recently moved to Halifax. I absolutely love it here. Its a small city with incredible people, sooo many little coffee shops and hidden gems of restaurants/bakeries/places to grab a beer, the city is full of history and character, the buildings are so colourful (never seen so many pink, yellow, green, blue houses in my life), etc. I personally love the nightlife in Halifax, theres a few of your dirty grinding clubs (the dome, toothy moose, etc) then theres a wackload of sit down pubs with little dance floors once in a while (think alehouse, durty nellys, etc).

I have not met a person who has came to halifax/the east coast for school and has regretted it. Sure, they might not stick around permanently like I did but they love it and appreciate it and end up being the rich people that flood the small ocean-side towns in the summers with their boats and kids and cute little cottages because the east coast will always be a soft spot for them. 

For any future readers, I do give you this advice: while sitting with a few east coast friends the other day, they were laughing at all these girls who come from toronto and vancouver to go to dal and they dont do anything. They go home, go to the bars, go to class, take pictures infront of the cute buildings and that's it. If you want to gain a full and complete appreciation for what the east coast has to offer and why people are so proud to come to the east coast (and to lead a healthy lifestyle and get off instagram), find an east coast friend who will take you out on their boat, kayaks, paddle boards, etc. Snowshoes are free to rent from the city of halifax - do it and drive an hour out of the city and go for a hike. Spend a weekend in september doing the cabot trail, but do it for real... don't just drive it and take a sweet insta shot of you gazing out into the ocean - actually stop, pull over, put your hiking boots on and do the hikes and the trails and swim in the waterfalls. Stay in halifax for a summer and you'll be treated to the beaches, the awesome night life (gets waaaayyyyy better in the summer), the good weather and the awesome hungover patio brunches. 

I apologize for my rant - a little off topic. Also excuse any typos. Didn't proof read it (good lawyer play right there). 

Thank you very much for this thoughtful response! I live in Vancouver so i will definitely take this into consideration. Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also from Vancouver and just finished my first year. I'll give my brief take on it:

1) There is some diversity in the student body but there could be more. About 50/50 male/female split. Generally everyone is quite friendly. Many people from outside the Maritimes

2) I can only speak to what the weather was like this year, but the winter wasn't too bad. I am always cold so I was pretty concerned about what it would be like and I thought it was fine. Living close to the school helps. It's colder than Vancouver and there is more snow but there is also more sun and a lot less rain. I think I'd prefer Halifax's fall/winter this year to the constant rain Vancouver had.

3) I really like the nightlife. There isn't much of a "clubbing" scene, but the bar scene is great. Everything is close together which makes meeting up with people and bar-hopping really convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received an email to interview in person or over the phone. Any suggestions preparing for the interview? I've seen the common questions, such as:

Why you want to go to law school at Schulich School of Law?

What's a book your currently reading?

What type of law are you heading towards?

(Questions Specific to your personal statement)

Any suggestions on other questions or any preparation strategies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

Just finishing up my Masters and putting together my application for Fall 2018.

Current GPA/LSAT is 3.8/4.0, 165

Question: in my first year of undergrad, i was stupid and got caught with a minor academic offence. It's been like 6 years now. Do they make you disclose that in your application, or is it even something they ask? I'm worried it will make me not competitive. Peeps that just applied, what did they ask about academic offences?

I know you have to tell the bar after grad which is fine by me, it's not a weeding out there from what I understand. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oldman said:

Hey guys,

Just finishing up my Masters and putting together my application for Fall 2018.

Current GPA/LSAT is 3.8/4.0, 165

Question: in my first year of undergrad, i was stupid and got caught with a minor academic offence. It's been like 6 years now. Do they make you disclose that in your application, or is it even something they ask? I'm worried it will make me not competitive. Peeps that just applied, what did they ask about academic offences?

I know you have to tell the bar after grad which is fine by me, it's not a weeding out there from what I understand. 

Thanks!

I don't know how your school does it but, at my school getting caught with an academic violation resulted in one of three things.1) Expulsion if it was really bad. 2) If it was bad, but not enough for expulsion, they would note it in your transcript and flag the course in which it occurred. 3) If it was minor and y our first offense they would simply make an internal note on your record that only the university staff could see, and the only consequence of that was that in the future you could not petition the grade you got for that course or try and have it struck from your transcript. However, any grad schools that you apply to would not be made aware of any of this as it would simply be an internal university note on your file.

So I guess the answer to your question is what does your school do for academic violations and what did they do to you. If it was something similar to option 3 at my school, you are fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone from Halifax received an interview yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×