realpseudonym

Ask a 1L at Dal

96 posts in this topic

In regards to housing, Is Northpoint Properties a reputable company to deal with? It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit Halifax to search for places before classes start. 

http://rentinhalifax.com/6056-and-6060-south-street/

This looks pretty decent and affordable if I could find a roomate. Helps that its walking distance to Dal 

Sorry, I don't have any experience dealing with them. I know that they have affordable units in good locations (I sound like a commercial). There are those two. They also have apartments on Shirley St

I don't know how accurate or comprehensive this is, but I like to check to see if a place is on bedbugregistry before I rent it (I don't rent it, if I think there are bugs). Bed bugs suck, literally and figuratively. 

Edited by realpseudonym

In regards to housing, Is Northpoint Properties a reputable company to deal with? It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit Halifax to search for places before classes start. 

http://rentinhalifax.com/6056-and-6060-south-street/

This looks pretty decent and affordable if I could find a roomate. Helps that its walking distance to Dal 

I have a friend that lived here last year and they had no complaints if that helps :) Super good location too

Last year, Rose emailed us some information about registration at the end of June. We block registered (meaning that we just signed up and were assigned our schedule) for courses in the first week of July. 

According to this, registration for first-years started yesterday. I assume that's accurate? That page also contains links to instructions and whatnot.  

Edited by realpseudonym

It's the same deal with year - just signed up for Block 15 courses (as well as all single block first year courses).

Last year, Rose emailed us some information about registration at the end of June. We block registered (meaning that we just signed up and were assigned our schedule) for courses in the first week of July. 

According to this, registration for first-years started yesterday. I assume that's accurate? However, I don't really know. That page also contains links to instructions and whatnot.  

What time does class usually start in first year? Just want to know how far from school I can live before I start hating myself.

What time does class usually start in first year? Just want to know how far from school I can live before I start hating myself.

It depends on your section. Now that you've registered (or you can register, if you're a student) you should be able to see your schedule. Log onto dalonline, go to Web for Students, click Registration, select Student Schedule by Date and Time, and then enter a date during the academic term.  

Edit: you can also see the times for classes here.

Edited by realpseudonym

The two main providers (there are still only two as far as I know) are Eastlink and Bell. I've been with both, and the services are largely indistinguishable. Often, come the start of the school year they both offer a "student plan". One will frequently undercut the other, but that's not to say it's always Eastlink, or always Bell that provides the better deal. 

Anecdotally, I paid $74.69, taxes in, for 50 Mbps high speed with Eastlink. But come September, if Bell is cheaper, I'll likely switch, or attempt to leverage Bell's offer against Eastlink to get a better deal.

2 people like this

I am wondering if you think there would be any drawbacks to living directly beside the law building (noise, traffic, etc)? Thanks!

No real downsides. Just be ready for some wild Saturday nights. That's when the professors turn up in the Atrium.

3 people like this

The two main providers (there are still only two as far as I know) are Eastlink and Bell. I've been with both, and the services are largely indistinguishable. Often, come the start of the school year they both offer a "student plan". One will frequently undercut the other, but that's not to say it's always Eastlink, or always Bell that provides the better deal. 

Anecdotally, I paid $74.69, taxes in, for 50 Mbps high speed with Eastlink. But come September, if Bell is cheaper, I'll likely switch, or attempt to leverage Bell's offer against Eastlink to get a better deal.

Eastlink's student special is currently about $60.00 for 50 mbps and Bell's student special is $65 for 100 mbps (both pretax). However, you have to be in a building that's equipped for Bell's stupidly named Fibe (fibre-optics) to qualify for their offer. If not, you're on their DSL network. Which is slower.

Edited by realpseudonym
1 person likes this

Does anyone know how we find out what section we're in or if that's given to us at a later date? I'm not sure if we should have found out when we registered for our assigned block or not!

Does anyone know how we find out what section we're in or if that's given to us at a later date? I'm not sure if we should have found out when we registered for our assigned block or not!

Rose Godfrey sent us an email last year. There was an excel attachment, which listed everyone by section. I think it was sent on August 10th.

I'd suggest emailing Rose to ask, if nothing shows up in your Dal email soon.

Rose Godfrey sent us an email last year. There was an excel attachment, which listed everyone by section. I think it was sent on August 10th.

I'd suggest emailing Rose to ask, if nothing shows up in your Dal email soon.

On that note, you'll need to know you B# to determine your block number (not your DalNetID).

Dalhousie is far away from Toronto. How is the OCI for Toronto?

Plenty of big and medium sized Toronto firms attend, if that's what you're asking. If you want to practice something like criminal defence or another specific type of law at a boutique, then you'll more likely have to go outside the official channels.

On Campus Interviews obviously happen on campus. But if you make it to the next stage, then you'd usually have to fly to Toronto for an in-firm interview.

I'd suggest emailing Rose to ask, if nothing shows up in your Dal email soon

I did get an email in regards to my block number and everything but I wasn't able to find my section letter (like A, B, or C) within the email and after I registered within my block I wasn't able to find it either!

EDIT: Ahhh I finally found it at the bottom of another separate attachment! Thank you again for answering and helping out!

Edited by MrJimBusiness
1 person likes this

Hey! You may not know the answer to this whatsoever - but I'm curious about wait lists and how much they moved last year? I am #2 on the resident Waitlist, accepted at UNB and wondering if I should be nixing my hopes to stay if I have not yet heard.

Thanks!

I was never waitlisted, so I learned little about it. I don't know if the waitlist tends to move this late in a cycle. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Obviously, it's getting pretty close to the semester. Based upon your June 14th posts, the resident waitlist has stayed still all summer. Anything could happen — someone could change their mind — but the odds seem kinda long at this point.

What do you mean by "nixing your hopes"? Are you asking whether you should emotionally prepare for rejection? If so, the answer is probably yes, but it doesn't matter that much. Rejection can be really hard, but barring some sort of mental illness or other factor, I'm sure you'll get through it. If you're asking about whether you should take practical steps to give up on Dal and go to UNB, then that's a little different.

I guess a couple of questions come to mind. First, do you actually want to go to UNB? Or rather, would you be okay going there? If you wouldn't for some specific reason (e.g., you have a significant other / family who you don’t want to leave, you’d suffer undue financial hardship, you have a horrible fear of rivers but not oceans, etc.), then well, maybe you have your answer. Otherwise, I think UNB will probably give you a fine legal education. Plus, it’s cheaper than Dal.

Second, if you’d be ok moving to Fredericton, then do you have a place to live there (with utilities and everything set-up)? If not, then it’s getting pretty late. Provided you want to go to law school this year (as opposed to waiting and maybe needing to reapply to Dal next cycle), then yeah, you should probably be preparing to move. If you haven’t already, take all the practical steps involved in going away for school.

Sorry, I can’t provide more insight on the waitlist itself. Good luck.