realpseudonym

Ask a 1L at Dal

86 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are financial advisers at dal who could help me in choosing what my best plan of action for payment would be (ex. Student government loan versus a line of credit.)

I'm not sure whether they have anyone who specializes in this kind of advice or not. On the "contact us" page for money matters, they urge you to contact the registrar's office with questions about loans. 

I'm not sure you want more specific advice, but I think most students apply for government student loans and student professional lines of credit (PSLOC). They use the government loan first, because it's interest free during their study period. Then they put the rest on the PSLOC. After graduation, many will pay off their government loans with extra credit they have on their PSLOC, because the rate is generally lower on the bank loan, once interest starts accruing on the government debt. Hope that helps. 

Edited by realpseudonym
1 person likes this

I've got a 2 bedroom apartment locked down for September in Halifax and I'm just wondering what the best way to find a roommate is? I'd like to live with someone in my law class in order to be on a similar schedule. When about a does a Facebook group usually pop up for accepted applicants?

The best way would probably be facebook, although you could start a thread on this site too.

I think someone started our facebook group around this time last year. It might've been one of the organizers on the O-Week committee. Have you received any information regarding orientation, yet?

Edited by realpseudonym

Do you find the "national reach" description of Dal to be accurate? Do firms from Western Canada come to Dal for OCIs? I'm asking about Vancouver specifically. Also, are there any summer events/meetups scheduled in other provinces before the school year begins? I haven't been accepted yet, but I will be interviewing, and the thought of potentially moving to the other side of the country is exciting and daunting at the same time. 

Edited by Cruizer

Do you find the "national reach" description of Dal to be accurate? Do firms from Western Canada come to Dal for OCIs? I'm asking about Vancouver specifically. Also, are there any summer events/meetups scheduled in other provinces before the school year begins? I haven't been accepted yet, but I will be interviewing, and the thought of potentially moving to the other side of the country is exciting and daunting at the same time. 

Not an L1 but I can speak a bit on this. I'm from Calgary and I know the big firms here are good about recruiting from Dal. I know someone who does hiring at one of the bigger AB firms and this year they hired 3 Dal articling students and 3 dal summer students, which was comparable to the numbers they hired from the Alberta schools. So if Vancouver is anything like Calgary, i'd say the national reach statement is pretty accurate. 

As far as a meet up goes, Rose said in a letter after the deposit that they would provide further information in July.

Does anyone know the dates of when the orientation time starts for dal? I know classes start the 9th but I wasn't sure if there are a few days before this for orientation.

I believe classes and orientation begin on September 6th. Rose said that more detailed information will be sent out in July.

What is the best option for parking near Dal? Preferably one I don't have to show up 3 hours early in order to get a spot.. 

If you dont mind paying around 1.2k for the year, you may be able to get in the CSB parkade which is just behind the computer science building, and a 1 minute walk from Weldon

What is the best option for parking near Dal? Preferably one I don't have to show up 3 hours early in order to get a spot.. 

I don't have a car. So, I don't really know anything about parking. Here's a map of the parking spots on the main campus though and here's the parking page (don't know if you've already looked at them). I know people who parked on the side streets and moved their cars during the day to avoid tickets. I think that's what 7years suggested here.

Does anyone know the dates of when the orientation time starts for dal? I know classes start the 9th but I wasn't sure if there are a few days before this for orientation.

I believe classes and orientation begin on September 6th. Rose said that more detailed information will be sent out in July.

September 6th is all the info I've seen so far. Last year, O-Week ran from September 8th – September 13th. We had a "first case" and and an Orientation to Law lecture during that time, but classes didn't really start until the following week. We started getting info about O-Week in the first week of July. 

Not an L1 but I can speak a bit on this. I'm from Calgary and I know the big firms here are good about recruiting from Dal. I know someone who does hiring at one of the bigger AB firms and this year they hired 3 Dal articling students and 3 dal summer students, which was comparable to the numbers they hired from the Alberta schools. So if Vancouver is anything like Calgary, i'd say the national reach statement is pretty accurate. 

As far as a meet up goes, Rose said in a letter after the deposit that they would provide further information in July.

Yes, big firms (and some other employers) recruit out of Western Canada during OCIs. From what I've seen so far, there aren't as many as from Toronto (there are a lot of big Toronto firms in general), but the opportunities exist.  

Regarding Dal's national reach to smaller firms and other employers who don't use the more formal channels, well, I don't really see how Dal is better than any other school. I guess there are alumni scattered across the country. You might have an in with them, insofar as you can go, "Hey, you went to Dal? I went to Dal. Something something using that to foster a personal connection." But aside from that, I'm not sure how much the national reach thing exists beyond the formal recruitment process. Apply skepticism liberally, though -- I haven't really participated in OCIs yet. Maybe someone who's been through the process can offer more information. 

I think there are supposed to be regional BBQs hosted by upper-years in different cities later this summer. 

Edited by realpseudonym
1 person likes this

Another question: Does anyone ever make the trip to Boston, New York, etc? Is it super pricey to fly? I'm just thinking that it might be cool to catch a basketball game or a big concert if I'm at Dal for school. Boston is closer that Montreal too. Does the ferry still run from Nova Scotia to MA?

Edited by Cruizer

Another question: Does anyone ever make the trip to Boston, New York, etc? Is it super pricey to fly? I'm just thinking that it might be cool to catch a basketball game or a big concert if I'm at Dal for school. Boston is closer that Montreal too. Does the ferry still run from Nova Scotia to MA?

I've never looked into it, so I'm not much help. I think I've heard something about a ferry? I'm sure the information is readily available online. 

Other people took trips for sporting events. Also, Dal approved a second reading week starting in the fall, which seems like a good time to go. 

Never thought of that but thats an awesome idea.. 

Never thought of that but thats an awesome idea.. 

Yeezy coming to Boston and New York this fall lets do it! 

1 person likes this

Im in! 

haha dude i'm dead serious. If I end up at Dal ill take the trip to boston to see Ye. Its' before classes start too

final question

Would it be detrimental to fly home for a weekend in mid october? around the 15-16. I would probably leave on Friday/Saturday and come back Tuesday evening. So I would likely be missing at least 2 classes 

final question

Would it be detrimental to fly home for a weekend in mid october? around the 15-16. I would probably leave on Friday/Saturday and come back Tuesday evening. So I would likely be missing at least 2 classes 

I don't think it's detrimental (although I tried not to miss lectures). I'm sure you can get class notes from someone and there are usually CANs (Condensed Annotated Notes). 

I probably wouldn't book until I get my syllabi (syllabuses?) and reading lists for each course. There's a take-home assignment sometime in the fall and it would likely be better not to make travel plans for that weekend. Ours were assigned after those dates. Some groups had them from October 30th - November 2nd and I think another section got them on November 9th.  I don't know if the dates change based upon year and professors' preferences. But I'd wait if I were you.

Edited by realpseudonym
1 person likes this

You can find cheap flights depending: www.skyscanner.ca is the best for finding the cheapest travel dates .. Sometimes I've seen them as low as $200 roundtrip but they're usually $250-$350! The ferry isn't really worth it because you have to drive all the way to Yarmouth (about 4.5-5 hrs from Halifax)

1 person likes this

In regards to housing, Is Northpoint Properties a reputable company to deal with? It's unlikely that I'll be able to visit Halifax to search for places before classes start. 

http://rentinhalifax.com/6056-and-6060-south-street/

This looks pretty decent and affordable if I could find a roomate. Helps that its walking distance to Dal 

Edited by Cruizer