Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Living in Fredericton

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ammml44

ammml44
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for finding a place to live in Fredericton next year.

When is it best to look for a place to live in Fredericton and what month do people usually try to start their leases in? I would prefer not to have to pay rent this summer, but I'm not sure if it is necessary in order to secure a good apartment. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

#2 lawstudent667

lawstudent667
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hey, 

I went to law school at UNB.  Congrats on getting in! It is a great place to go to law school.  

In my experience, most people secure apartments in the summer time.  Most leases run from Sept-Sept.  So no, you will not have to pay for an apartment all summer (although you may have to pay for one next summer, even if you don't stay in Fredericton for the summer).  I would recommend that you start looking in April or May as that is when most apartments start advertising to the public when they know who is and who is not keeping their spot in the building for the next year. 

I hope that this helps.  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

#3 sciencelawyer

sciencelawyer
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for finding a place to live in Fredericton next year.

When is it best to look for a place to live in Fredericton and what month do people usually try to start their leases in? I would prefer not to have to pay rent this summer, but I'm not sure if it is necessary in order to secure a good apartment. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats on your acceptance, and welcome to UNB Law! I agree with lawstudent667's comments above. I found my apartment in May, and my lease runs from August to Aug (I wanted the extra month to comfortably move in). Seems many law students live in downtown apartments which are in walking distance from the law school. There is also a 'mature student' residence called Magee House on campus. Good luck with your apartment search!

#4 ammml44

ammml44
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hey, 

I went to law school at UNB.  Congrats on getting in! It is a great place to go to law school.  

In my experience, most people secure apartments in the summer time.  Most leases run from Sept-Sept.  So no, you will not have to pay for an apartment all summer (although you may have to pay for one next summer, even if you don't stay in Fredericton for the summer).  I would recommend that you start looking in April or May as that is when most apartments start advertising to the public when they know who is and who is not keeping their spot in the building for the next year. 

I hope that this helps.  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Congrats on your acceptance, and welcome to UNB Law! I agree with lawstudent667's comments above. I found my apartment in May, and my lease runs from August to Aug (I wanted the extra month to comfortably move in). Seems many law students live in downtown apartments which are in walking distance from the law school. There is also a 'mature student' residence called Magee House on campus. Good luck with your apartment search!

Thanks so much for the advice! It's good to hear that you can start a lease in either August or September but still look and secure something earlier.

#5 boundary27

boundary27
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

Hi folks, I'm also attending UNB this September and am starting to looking into housing. I'm more than likely going to try and find an apartment with roommates, but I'm curious as to what the living conditions/atmosphere is like at mature student residencies such as Magee House?

#6 INDEBTED

INDEBTED
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

Hi folks, I'm also attending UNB this September and am starting to looking into housing. I'm more than likely going to try and find an apartment with roommates, but I'm curious as to what the living conditions/atmosphere is like at mature student residencies such as Magee House?

I am also looking into housing options for Fredericton, and have stumbled accross the Magee House page on the website. The rates seem very affordable if you have a room mate, but I would also like to hear from someone with first had experience of the place. If you find or hear anything, it would be much appreciated if you were to post it here :)

Thanks.

#7 AntelopeofZeus

AntelopeofZeus
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationWhere the antelope roam

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

I've lived a huge amount of places, and Fredericton was the easiest to find housing in. I was told that UNB used to be a lot bigger than it is now, and as a result there is more rental housing than renters. If your not super particular you'll be able to find something. In some cases month to month so you don't need to pay rent in the summer if you don't want to.

#8 puckhead

puckhead
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

Some folks are mentioning Magee House - there is also EPJ (Elizabeth Parr Johnson) which is a suite style mature student res.  It looks down the road at Ludlow and is quite new.  Little more expensive but you only pay for 8 months.

#9 East

East
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Elizabeth Parr Johnson (we call it New Res) is your best bet for on campus living. Lots of law students live there, as well as graduate students so you're not dealing with rowdy 18 year olds. 

The downtown area is great, it's very walkable with the exception of having to get up the hill to Ludlow, that's a royal pain in the ass come winter. If you have a car, you're set. There are also some real nice apartments in the hilltop area like Abbott Court (Colpitts Developments) and Parkside Drive/Greenfields Court (Killam Properties).

• catchthetraiin likes this

#10 catchthetraiin

catchthetraiin
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

Elizabeth Parr Johnson (we call it New Res) is your best bet for on campus living. Lots of law students live there, as well as graduate students so you're not dealing with rowdy 18 year olds. 

The downtown area is great, it's very walkable with the exception of having to get up the hill to Ludlow, that's a royal pain in the ass come winter. If you have a car, you're set. There are also some real nice apartments in the hilltop area like Abbott Court (Colpitts Developments) and Parkside Drive/Greenfields Court (Killam Properties).

The apartments you've listed at the bottom of your post, how far are they on foot from the law school?

As well, how difficult is it to find parking on campus?

#11 Vim

Vim
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

The apartments you've listed at the bottom of your post, how far are they on foot from the law school?

As well, how difficult is it to find parking on campus?

I live in one of the Colpitts buildings that OP mentioned. It takes me about 15 -20 minutes to walk to campus. This location is also pretty great in terms of being super close to Prospect street which has a lot of businesses on it (including a Sobeys, bulk barn etc), It's only about 20 minutes to walk from these apartments to the Regent Mall (which also has a walmart in it). Great location, and tends to be great pricing as well. I really like Colpitts as the property manager I have is really on top of the ball and the building is well maintained. 

If you do end up thinking of living in one of the residence buildings I would 100% recommend EPJ, lots of law students, super close, no kids.

#12 sciencelawyer

sciencelawyer
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

I second the comments made by East and Vim. I live in one of the Colpitts apartments, and it really is a great location (easy to get to school and run errands, being so close to Prospect with all the businesses and the mall). However, if you do choose to live on campus, EPJ seems to have an abundance of law students. Magee as well (as previously mentioned), but as our April exams just ended, there have been stories going around that there are families with kids also living there (which might be something to consider if you like studying at home and need a very silent space to do your coursework).