Darkhawk

Wait List 2016

42 posts in this topic

My numbers may be a bit off because I'm getting long in the tooth around here, but, once upon a time U of T had about 1,900 applications for 190 spots.

In more simple terms, that means 9 out of every 10 students who apply will be rejected (or waitlisted, which is basically a rejection unless you get an acceptance later on).

U of T thus looks beyond just your numbers, which is part of the reason the personal statement is a substantial component of your score. It can make the difference between admitted or rejected for some applicants. Beyond that, U of T tries quite hard to have a balanced class and a diverse class, both culturally and geographically. We can quibble about whether the class truly is diverse (socioeconomically, probably not so much), but there is some effort there.

I understand that it can be frustrating to be waitlisted, but the reality is if you are waitlisted here you probably have some really good options for law school, and so I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I introduce myself, several years out into practice, nobody asks where I went to school, and truth be told, nobody really cares. U of T might offer a headstart and some advantages, sure, but its hardly the only road to success and it doesn't define your future.

2 people like this

Waitlisted...

3.71 GPA

172 LSAT

accepted at Harvard and other top US schools so not sure why... but oh well

That's quite impressive considering those numbers are still on the low ends of Harvard... congratulations!

That's quite impressive considering those numbers are still on the low ends of Harvard... congratulations!

American gpa is different but yeah. One school mde a judgement call that Im better than my numbers and one school made a judgement that Im worse... Would be cool to find out the thought process on either side

The process is incredibly arbitrary. I count myself among the people who were accepted but is still somewhat perplexed as to why. 

1 person likes this

nope. what are your stats like?

reverse splitter - grades above average, LSAT below - very strong softs, internships, master's etc. no idea if this means anything at all 

reverse splitter - grades above average, LSAT below - very strong softs, internships, master's etc. no idea if this means anything at all 

Did you firm accept anywhere else in Ontario? May not mean anything but could be a good sign. good luck!

Withdrew my app a few days ago, hope a spot opens up for one of yall who are still waiting.,...Good luck!!

1 person likes this

I was recently (a few days ago) asked if I wished to remain on the waitlist, seing as July 2nd is near. But that's it I'm afraid.

Waitlisted...

3.71 GPA

172 LSAT

accepted at Harvard and other top US schools so not sure why... but oh well

Very weird indeed, congratulations on your other acceptances. Just out of curiosity, are you an under represented minority?  I only ask because I know a black canadian that applied to and was waitlisted at U of T with a 3.85 GPA and a 173 LSAT,  but got into Harvard and Stanford. 

Edited by darkphoenix

In.  One week goddamn notice before classes start.  Good luck to everyone else, either at UT, elsewhere, or next year!

3 people like this

In.  One week goddamn notice before classes start.  Good luck to everyone else, either at UT, elsewhere, or next year!

Were you accepted elsewhere?

Hahah, better late than never...? Congrats. What was your gpa and lsat if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by darkphoenix

Hahah, better late than never...? Congrats. What was your gpa and lsat if you don't mind me asking?

UGPA 3.2, LSAT 165 (2012)

Also had an MSc in hand, though.

I also got in at USC (Cali) and York, but held out crazy hope for this.  Believe in yourselves!

EDIT: Also you have a badass username.

Edited by Darkhawk
1 person likes this