Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Parking Advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cantpickausername

Cantpickausername
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

I will be attending Dal Law next year and will be bringing my car and driving in from an apartment a little further out of town because they are cheaper, I have looked at Dal parking and it looks a little... terrible, any advice on that and how to get a permit and such?

Thank you!

#2 neymarsr

neymarsr
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

From my experience you can get by with parking on side streets near the school if your willing to move your car every few hours. I have gotten a few tickets over the year but it's still a lot cheaper than paying for a Dal parking pass.

If you decide to get a parking pass, you'll want to show up early most days to actually get a spot. There are few school parking lots and they tend to fill up quickly.

#3 Wenis

Wenis
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:02 AM

From my experience you can get by with parking on side streets near the school if your willing to move your car every few hours. I have gotten a few tickets over the year but it's still a lot cheaper than paying for a Dal parking pass.

If you decide to get a parking pass, you'll want to show up early most days to actually get a spot. There are few school parking lots and they tend to fill up quickly.

I got through three years at Dal doing this. Edward and Henry street - all day erryday. The tickets I've had to pay were less than a fraction of what parking passes would have cost. And the passes themselves only let you park in places that are a bit of a hike to the Weldon building. 

• CrimMajor likes this

#4 Cantpickausername

Cantpickausername
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:18 PM

I got through three years at Dal doing this. Edward and Henry street - all day erryday. The tickets I've had to pay were less than a fraction of what parking passes would have cost. And the passes themselves only let you park in places that are a bit of a hike to the Weldon building. 

Thank you! I'll probably do that then. Is there enough of the street parking in these areas that I will be able to get a spot regularly? I wouldn't want to be late for class because I couldn't find a parking spot!

#5 Cantpickausername

Cantpickausername
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Also are these metered areas you guys normally parked in?

#6 Wenis

Wenis
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

Thank you! I'll probably do that then. Is there enough of the street parking in these areas that I will be able to get a spot regularly? I wouldn't want to be late for class because I couldn't find a parking spot!

I was able to find a spot almost every day, but some days it took 5-10 minutes of circling around the block looking for a spot. The side streets all around the Weldon building are full of spots with 2 hour free parking.  Good idea to keep change in your car so you can park at a meter for couple of hours on those rare days when you can't find a spot. 

• Cantpickausername likes this

#7 7years

7years
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Here's my two sense on parking at Dal:

If you park at the 2 hour free parking on the street, make sure that you do move your car every 2 hours. I have seen the parking enforcement person marking the tires with chalk to see if you moved your car or not, and also, taking down the time they marked your car. 

or, you could get a Dal parking pass. I got one and I found it very helpful. I never had to worry about my car and I didn't have to think about moving my car until I was done for the day. If you make it before 7:45AM, you will get a parking spot, but, you might not get a parking spot right next to the law building. I normally get a spot next to the soccer field or on the days I have got late, I would park at the Dalplex or park at a 3 hour meter or 2 hour free parking spot.

Because I had to come in early to get a parking spot, I would study at school in the mornings till my classes stated. Best decision ever! The parking pass is pretty cheap. The reason being that it is not a guaranteed spot. I think the going rate in Halifax for a guaranteed parking spot for a month is about $80-100 (Minimum). For the Dal parking pass, you pay $325 for a year so if you use it for only 8 months, the monthly cost is really $41 per month. You pay the annual parking fee upfront when you order the Dal parking pass.

The Dal parking pass works for the main campus on University avenue as well as the engineering campus close to Spring Garden Rd. So, if you need parking anywhere near Spring Garden Rd, you can park at the engineering campus with your Dal parking pass as well.

So there you have it.. my two sense about parking at Dal.

• FITONE likes this

#8 TheAlternative

TheAlternative
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

There is all day parking for 2$ an hour at LeMarchant Place parking lot. It's a grueling 3 blocks from the law school, downhill. But it makes it easy to just park and forget about it if you have a full schedule on one day. No permit required. 

Parking tickets are $25, but $20 if you pay them right away. There's a rule that's enforced here where you can't move your car to another spot on the same block when moving your car after the 2 hour max on street parking. You have to change blocks. I suppose you could coordinate with a classmate to just switch spots on either side of the building. 

If you are willing to walk 5 blocks, there is free parking on the side streets down by Franklin. 

I assume you have seen this: 
http://www.dal.ca/de...ing-at-dal.html

#9 CrimMajor

CrimMajor
  • Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

It seems the meter-maids will go through periods where they won't check certain zones for weeks, but will turn around and hit an area hard for a period time. Be aware, if you start to get ticketed you'll know they've probably hired someone new and they haven't figured out which sections to not care about. 

#10 atOnz

atOnz
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

I would park on Cambridge Street, Beech Street or in that area and walk up or jump on the bus if going by if in class all day.  Otherwise I could usually get spots on Henry St or Edward St.