twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

166 posts in this topic

If it's okay with you, I'll post my questions here so your answers can help more people :) (also, sorry in advance if some of my questions have already been answered by others on past posts). 

1) Do most 1Ls live on or off campus? How difficult is it to find housing close to campus?

2) Favourite/least favourite 1L classes so far? 

3) If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself before starting 1L? (e.g., things you would do in the summer before law school, preparation work - if any, general advice, etc.) 

4) What you like/dislike about living in Kingston? 

5) What has your experience with extracurriculars been like? How competitive is it to get involved in different clubs, clinics, etc. at Queen's? 

6) Would you recommend Queen's to someone who wants to pursue criminal law? 

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. 

I can chime in with a few answers if twinsfindme doesn't mind as I'm in 1L as well.

1) Do most 1Ls live on or off campus? How difficult is it to find housing close to campus?

I would say almost every 1L lives off campus. The grad residence is almost 2km from the law building (far by Queen's standards). It's not difficult to find housing close to campus but there there are some large areas full of students that can get a little rowdy. Your level of difficulty in finding a place will be determined by how picky you are. I would recommend reviewing this handbook some students put together http://law.queensu.ca/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.lawwww/files/files/Orientation/2014WelcometoKingstonHandbook.pdf. The first few pages about housing are particularly useful. I found a place at the beginning of May and there were definitely still things available do don't feel like you have to rush out and get something now.

3) If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself before starting 1L? (e.g., things you would do in the summer before law school, preparation work - if any, general advice, etc.) 

There is nothing you need to do to prepare. Just rest up and do something you enjoy. If you can get a job that provides interesting experience that's awesome. If you'd rather spend your time travelling then I'd do that. 

Personally I love living so close to the water. There are some nice walking/running/biking trails along the lake. There are also lots of great little restaurants. 

The transit isn't awesome in Kingston so depending on where you're coming from you might have trouble adjusting to this. 

5) What has your experience with extracurriculars been like? How competitive is it to get involved in different clubs, clinics, etc. at Queen's? 

One thing that I didn't like is that the extracurriculars come at you hot and heavy in the first couple of weeks of school. This is particularly true of the more structured extracurriculars like Queen's Legal Aid and the law journals. I was hoping to settle in a little bit then figure out how much I would be able to take on. Unfortunately you just kind of have jump at the opportunity while it's there.  It's fairly competitive but you'll find the right mix of activities for you. 

This is not an area that I'm interested in so I'm sure somebody else can address this better. From what I understand Queen's traditionally has had a strong reputation for criminal law but there has been some significant retirements (or some significant retirements are expected) that kind of weakened that reputation but I'm not totally sure. 

Edited by PurpleGael
1 person likes this

If anyone has any questions about Queen's, feel free to message me! 

How much interaction do you have with undergrads?

What is the law school building like?

Did you live with another law student? Do most people? I'd rather live with a few roommates to cut costs

How is the school for corporate law?

Are lectures interesting? Too many professors in undergrad who do not teach well / lectures are unnecessary to succeed in the course

Favourite part of the social side of queens law so far?

Have you attended any networking events?

Edit: Thanks btw

Edited by choclka
1 person likes this

I can chime in with a few answers if twinsfindme doesn't mind as I'm in 1L as well.

I would say almost every 1L lives off campus. The grad residence is almost 2km from the law building (far by Queen's standards). It's not difficult to find housing close to campus but there there are some large areas full of students that can get a little rowdy. Your level of difficulty in finding a place will be determined by how picky you are. I would recommend reviewing this handbook some students put together http://law.queensu.ca/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.lawwww/files/files/Orientation/2014WelcometoKingstonHandbook.pdf. The first few pages about housing are particularly useful. I found a place at the beginning of May and there were definitely still things available do don't feel like you have to rush out and get something now.

There is nothing you need to do to prepare. Just rest up and do something you enjoy. If you can get a job that provides interesting experience that's awesome. If you'd rather spend your time travelling then I'd do that. 

Personally I love living so close to the water. There are some nice walking/running/biking trails along the lake. There are also lots of great little restaurants. 

The transit isn't awesome in Kingston so depending on where you're coming from you might have trouble adjusting to this. 

One thing that I didn't like is that the extracurriculars come at you hot and heavy in the first couple of weeks of school. This is particularly true of the more structured extracurriculars like Queen's Legal Aid and the law journals. I was hoping to settle in a little bit then figure out how much I would be able to take on. Unfortunately you just kind of have jump at the opportunity while it's there.  It's fairly competitive but you'll find the right mix of activities for you. 

This is not an area that I'm interested in so I'm sure somebody else can address this better. From what I understand Queen's traditionally has had a strong reputation for criminal law but there has been some significant retirements (or some significant retirements are expected) that kind of weakened that reputation but I'm not totally sure. 

Ah thank you so much! That was so helpful and informative. Hopefully I'll be seeing you in September :) 

2 people like this

Upper-Year here, chiming in for those who care. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants any particular details in private.
I’m going to answer both sets of questions that were asked above in one post, so here goes:

Already covered by an earlier post.

I loved property and torts. Both largely due to the professors, who were extremely enthusiastic about their subject and made the classes very entertaining.

As an upper-year, I am loving the “hands-on” type courses. Specifically, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Trial Advocacy are amazing. Rather than just sitting and listening to lectures, you get to participate in weekly exercises. A disclaimer though: I have a strong interest in litigation, and I learn best by doing, so that has a large part of why I love these classes.

In terms of content-only classes for upper year, I thought civil procedure was interesting (and practical), and I found information privacy really unique and interesting.

Echo what the earlier post said – nothing you can do to prepare, just enjoy your summer.

I’ll take it a bit further though, and say that entering 1L, I highly recommend not freaking out about grades. There is a curve. It sucks. You will likely get much lower marks than what you are used to. It is not the end of the world if you do. I highly recommend approaching classes / assignments / exams as learning opportunities rather than just a checklist of what you need to cover to get an A. Focus on enjoying the classes in the moment rather than looking so far ahead to grades.

Love how small the city is (i.e. you can drive from the “outside” of downtown, through downtown, to the other side of the main part of the city, in like 10 minutes). The downtown is also really nice. Since you don’t have a ton of massive skyscrapers, you don’t feel like you’re trapped and claustrophobic. While big-city downtown feels can be great, this has a “cottage town” feel to it, in my opinion. That also has to do with the being right on the water, which is amazing. The summer here is beautiful.

Dislike how little effort the city puts into snowplowing sidewalks in the winter. Although this year it has not been so bad. Also hate how sharp the wind can get.

Clubs are not competitive. There is a clubs day in the first few weeks where as a 1L you can essentially sign up for everything. The point is that you will get emails about the various activities / events the clubs put on (e.g. Criminal Law Club, Environmental Law Club, Litigation Society, etc). Most events include guest speakers, court visits, and practitioner panels.

Lots of ECs too, especially when it comes to sports. You can sign up for things like dodgeball, soccer, hockey.

Clinics and Journals are more competitive. Queen’s  Legal Aid accepts 30 1L volunteers each year. But if you don’t get  a chance to volunteer in 1L and you reapply as an upper year, you will get priority over another upper year who already volunteered. That is to say, the clinic tries to let as many people participate as possible. There is also a course you can take where you work at QLA for credit over the term. I can’t speak to the other clinics or journals because I’ve only done QLA.

Again, echoing what was said above. Queen’s has/had a strong reputation as a criminal law school, but is tending to lean towards business law now. That being said, there are plenty of great criminal law courses.

None that I can think of.  

Soooooo nice (in my opinion). It went through massive renovations this year. We have our own library that was just recently renovated, and a brand new study area that only law students can access. We also have a lounge that is pretty relaxing and comfortable with a fridge / microwave.

In September though, there always seems to be some problems with A/C and heating. No idea why, but something breaks and it is either super hot in the rooms, or freezing cold. Normally this doesn’t last long if it happens.

Did you live with another law student? Do most people? I'd rather live with a few roommates to cut costs

There is a pretty good mix between people who live alone, and those who live with roommates. Also those who have roommates vary between law-only, while others have mixed (grad students, undergrads, etc.). It comes down to preference and cost. Usually the incoming class creates a FB page and people connect through there to find roommates.  

The school is taking a much stronger focus on this now. We have plenty of business-law related courses, and Business Corporations is mandatory in 2L. We also just received, I think around $1.5M for a professorship in business law.

Are lectures interesting? Too many professors in undergrad who do not teach well / lectures are unnecessary to succeed in the course

Totally depends on the professor.  I find practitioners particularly interesting because I find they bring in their real-world practice when lecturing. That being said, we have some phenomenal academics who are great professors. In the upper years you have access to more seminars, which involve less lecturing and more class participation, which I find significantly more enjoyable

So every Thursday there are “smokers.” These are themed parties held at various bars in Kingston organized by and for law students. Great way to hang out with everyyyyyoone in one spot and just let loose.

Tons. We have lots of guest lecturers and practitioner panels. There is also a career day fair in February where employers from Toronto, Ottawa and other cities visit Queen’s and host their own panels and booths, including a one-on-one sit down with a lawyer of your choosing (from those participating). 

2 people like this

Didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a quick question....

Just reviewing guidelines for application to Queen's (for this upcoming round in the fall) and noticed that most applicants have at least an A- (80-84 or 3.7 GPA) in their last 2 years of undergrad in a full course load. 

NOW here's my quick question. In my very last semester I took one less course (at my school I took 2.0 credits instead of 2.5) because I was completing my thesis. In your experience...do you think they will actually bump back to my next full course semester? 

Thanks!

Didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a quick question....

Just reviewing guidelines for application to Queen's (for this upcoming round in the fall) and noticed that most applicants have at least an A- (80-84 or 3.7 GPA) in their last 2 years of undergrad in a full course load. 

NOW here's my quick question. In my very last semester I took one less course (at my school I took 2.0 credits instead of 2.5) because I was completing my thesis. In your experience...do you think they will actually bump back to my next full course semester? 

Thanks!

There's really no way to know, people who get in don't generally get a breakdown of why they did. (as far as I know?) 

People have answered all the questions already but I'll try too for variety! 

I don't think anyone lives on-campus that I know of. Residence is expensive I think? And mostly just for first year undergrads? It's not hard to find housing close to campus but it also depends on what your standards are like. You can live affordably but if you like a modern set up it's a little harder to do. I live about a 10-12 minute walk from campus, and I think I'm on the upper end of how far people live away. 

I love all the 1L classes so far. Profs are amazing, work is interesting, exams are pretty straightforward. 

Nothing! Have a nice summer. (Oh, actually, I'd say workout and get in shape. Law students are pretty hot) 

Kingston is tiny. I've never lived in a place this small. It's also not especially easy to get around on public transport, so you feel very confined to the Union-Princess, Division-Waterfront boundaries. But, it's easy to get to bigger cities and as a student, how much do you really see outside the immediate university area in other places anyway? It's cute, there are lots of cafes and restaurants and things to do if you search. Also, the amount of novelty stores per capita helps a lot to find costumes for Smokers. 

This year, I heard almost the entire first year class applied for Legal Aid, Journal and Pro Bono - that's not precisely accurate but apparently application numbers were huge. I got what I wanted but I know there were a lot of people who didn't. That's okay though - those people will find other things that they're interested in and will get involved in what ends up making sense for them - there are a ton of clubs and things to do. As long as you don't stop trying, opportunities will come. 

I really don't know much about this. The clinic has to help in terms of actually having contact with criminal law, either at Legal Aid generally but also the prison law clinic, I'd assume. 

Just see 'em at the gym. 

I really like the law school building. The outlets are plentiful, wifi reliable and the new learning commons is boss as hell. I'd live here, but there are no food places in the building (close by in Mac-Corry/Goodes though) 

If you can find a roommate and you're comfortable with the idea of living with a random, go for it. It's sometimes a risk if you end up hating them. But a reward if you love them! Buyer beware I guess. It's a mix. 

Also don't really know. Good? They're hiring like four new professors, a few of which I think have a corporate focus? 

Honestly I love all my profs, maybe I just struck gold but they're all excellent and I find class to be really enjoyable. I think going to class is way more integral to success than doing the readings. Plus, it's what you pay for. They teach well, go to class! 

Smokers are awesome. Giant party every Thursday. The questionable hookup gossip is gone by Monday. Friday classes are painful. It's great. 

Yes, business card collection is growing. 

1 person likes this

Question on employment - (I know that there are plenty of threads on post law school employment but I want to hear it from people who have their ear to the ground in the current situation)

Any idea on articling numbers? - I found the 2016 report vague on this - it said "many" had found articles by graudation.

What's the summer job market like and what does it take (grades) get a law-related summer job in today's environment (both 1L and 2L)?

Again, looking for a current perspective. I know the thread is for a 1L but I'm hoping some upper year folks could chime in.

Unrelated: I hear law school marks are unpredictable - how much truth is there in this at Queen's?

2 people like this

Question on employment - (I know that there are plenty of threads on post law school employment but I want to hear it from people who have their ear to the ground in the current situation)

Any idea on articling numbers? - I found the 2016 report vague on this - it said "many" had found articles by graudation.

What's the summer job market like and what does it take (grades) get a law-related summer job in today's environment (both 1L and 2L)?

Again, looking for a current perspective. I know the thread is for a 1L but I'm hoping some upper year folks could chime in.

Unrelated: I hear law school marks are unpredictable - how much truth is there in this at Queen's?

I don't know what the final articling numbers are yet - partly because recruitment is still ongoing so it's rather premature to say. But at the Toronto OCIs the number of students hired from Queen's didn't go up or down. I personally think that's a bit of bad news because with the increase in class sizes, we would have hoped to see a higher number of students hired (even if the *percentage* of the class hired stayed the same). Take from that what you will. But the summer recruit is also on-going and tons of people are participating in the Ottawa and London OCIs, as well as non-OCI recruitment, so we'll truly know what's happening when the dust has settled.

Grades are obviously very important. I think the magic number is around a 3.0 GPA, which guarantees you at least 1 OCI. But beyond OCIs the conventional wisdom is that grades don't matter as much. Having said that, I personally felt that grades did matter all the way through the in-firm process (which is horrible btw, I wouldn't put my worst enemy through that).

On the predictability of grades, the distribution seems to be almost identical class to class. What's less predictable is where you fall in it.

1 person likes this

3L here. No idea on the exact articling numbers. I asked the CDO for them out of curiosity and they will not tell me. I am really curious though. The last LSUC report is starting to get a bit dated.

I will say that I am pretty sure the CDO fudges the numbers by classifying students as "not actively seeking articles" when that isn't actually the case.

Re: 2L summer positions. The majority of the class will NOT secure a 2L summer position through Toronto OCIs. But by the time you add students getting jobs from the official recruits of other markets (Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary), as well as those scooped up nation-wide by various firms outside official recruitment periods, I would say ~60% of my class had a law firm job in 2L summer that would lead to articling. Based on what I am hearing, the class of 2017 saw performance decline, as the poster above mentioned. Whether this is due to expansion or not is anyone's guess. Too small a sample size to tell.

Re: articles. No idea on how many 3Ls in my graduating class are still looking but it is NOT an insignificant minority. I can think of at least ten 3Ls that do not yet have an articling position. And those are just the ones I know personally. I would guess as many as 15-20% of 3Ls here still don't have articles lined up. But by the time graduation rolls around.... I assume it will be ~10%, as per usual. Students lock up articles in May, June, and July all the time. 3Ls with no articles often panic by the Winter term - understandably so given the debt most carry - but January to August is 8 months of time. Plenty of time to find something. 

Edited by happydude
1 person likes this

I've heard from anecdotal experiences that Queen's law is kind of cliquey? How much of that is true? Also, how diverse is Queen's Law?

I've heard from anecdotal experiences that Queen's law is kind of cliquey? How much of that is true? Also, how diverse is Queen's Law?

All I can offer is more anecdotal experiences on your first question - people say law school is like high school. You're put in small sections, which is kind of like your homeroom, and you have all your classes with the same 25 people. Then, you'll have four classes with your group of 25 people, plus another group of 25 people. But there are 8 sections, so you can't have all your classes with every other section. So you might know the people in sections 5, 6, 7, and 8 really well, but maybe not even know the people in sections 1, 2, and 3. 

I bring this up because it naturally contributes to the idea of "cliquey-ness" - when you're around the same group of people all the time and there aren't many opportunities to meet absolutely everyone, of course you have your group of friends that you study with and go out with and hang out with. There are smokers every week that all three years regularly come out to in force, so you can totally expand your horizons there, or in any of the approximately 6325 student events Queen's puts on, on the reg. 

What you're probably asking is - are there rude people at Queen's Law. Are there people who make groups that won't deign to talk to you if they don't want to, or aren't friendly or whatever. I mean, it's impossible to have a year of 200 perfectly lovely and friendly people. But we come pretty close, I think. There are some rude people, for sure, but if they're like that, you probably don't want to hang out with them anyway. 

Basically what I'm saying is yes, you will have a group of people that are your people, and your people will interact with other people. Naturally, there are groups for sure. But for the most part, they're perfectly willing to invite you out and hang with you and be friends. I'd very much struggle, though, if someone told me another law school of this size was not like that. Anyone who says, our entire class of 350 is best friends, is a crazy person. You can get pretty close to your classmates here, and the Queen's Law social atmosphere totally lends itself to helping out with that, but yes, like, you will have friend groups! It's normal. Everyone gets friends! I don't know what exactly you're worried about with cliques but I've found it to be a really fun and welcoming atmosphere. 

The other thing that sets QL apart, I think, is how fan-fucking-tastic the upper years are. Like, I can't even fathom getting through this year so far without SO many upper years taking me out for coffee, listening to me vent about everything always, giving me advice and altogether being rad. Like, you might vaguely know someone from something, see them in the lounge and start chatting, and all of a sudden they've basically been giving you advice for like 40 minutes and you feel so much better. Again, can't speak to other law schools, but QL is so so so so so so so sooooo supportive, it's actually unreal. 

In terms of diversity, Queen's is obviously not perfectly representative. But I would say that diversity issues get attention at Queen's, and the entire faculty is working towards increasing diversity, working to learn more about the experiences of diverse groups, and is seriously committed to implementing TRC recommendations. The dominant narrative at the school is for sure - we get it, Queen's is super privileged for the most part - let's talk about making it more representative and making our privileged population aware of, at least, what privilege is. There are some people who aren't on board - they're people who say stuff like POC can't be racist so this is why diversity is overrated and stuff, but like, try and find a bastion of privilege anywhere that doesn't have people who say that stuff. We're working on it, though. For sure. 

Overall, I love Queen's and I'm happy to answer any other questions. And sorry for how long this is. Procrastinating readings so hard! 

Thanks for answering Twinsfindme, I have some friends doing their undergrad at Queen's and they've been saying how a lot of the courses are going online. Is that the same case for Queen's Law? Are there any courses that students are forced to take online or have a large online component? I've taken two online courses this year and I've found myself hating them so it's one of my concerns

Thanks for answering Twinsfindme, I have some friends doing their undergrad at Queen's and they've been saying how a lot of the courses are going online. Is that the same case for Queen's Law? Are there any courses that students are forced to take online or have a large online component? I've taken two online courses this year and I've found myself hating them so it's one of my concerns

There are no online law courses at Queen's. I think that would be a horrible way to teach law. 

Decided to answer some of these questions to help bring some variety to this forum. I am a 1L, too!

Majority of the people I know live off of campus and around downtown (Princess St.). Finding housing isn’t hard but the prices are ridiculous. Finding a 1-bedroom here is really difficult because they start at 1100-1200 dollars (roughly). So, I’d say housing itself isn’t lacking, but the cost is quite significant for many students.

Re-fucking-laxxxx! Take time off, travel, enjoy yourself. This year has been really fun but also very stressful, and for the sake of your mental sanity, take the summer before law school to do things you love. It’ll pay off.

It’s a quaint city. I love being close to everything no matter where you are. The bar/club scene is lacking a bit, I find I go to the same places over and over. Restaurants are delicious! Overall, Kingston is surprisingly a pretty great place to live!

I am involved in a lot. Getting involved is really easy. Clinics are different, however. I applied for Legal Aid and Pro Bono in September and got neither. But that isn’t to say that I will not get the chance to do that at some other point.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you guys have. I was so lucky to have people to speak to before coming here, and I would love to give that back. Good luck!

Edited by wonderwoman121

Majority of the people I know live off of campus and around downtown (Princess St.). Finding housing isn’t hard but the prices are ridiculous. Finding a 1-bedroom here is really difficult because they start at 1100-1200 dollars (roughly). So, I’d say housing itself isn’t lacking, but the cost is quite significant for many students.

I will just add my experience here. Housing can be that expensive but it doesn't need to be. 

This year I'm living 1.2km from the law building (so a little bit of a walk but certainly not bad). I have a 1-bedroom unit in the basement of a house (only tenant in the basement) and I pay $775 all inclusive with parking. The biggest drawback is the distance from downtown. 

Next year I've signed a lease for a 1-bedroom unit on the ground floor of a triplex. I'm much closer to downtown and a little closer to the law building. I'll be paying $850 all inclusive plus parking. 

So it can be expensive to have a 1-bedroom but there are options out there. 

I should add that I'm working on the assumption of a 12-month lease. If you're only going to sign an 8 month then I wouldn't think you'd find much below $1200. 

I will just add my experience here. Housing can be that expensive but it doesn't need to be. 

This year I'm living 1.2km from the law building (so a little bit of a walk but certainly not bad). I have a 1-bedroom unit in the basement of a house (only tenant in the basement) and I pay $775 all inclusive with parking. The biggest drawback is the distance from downtown. 

Next year I've signed a lease for a 1-bedroom unit on the ground floor of a triplex. I'm much closer to downtown and a little closer to the law building. I'll be paying $850 all inclusive plus parking. 

So it can be expensive to have a 1-bedroom but there are options out there. 

I should add that I'm working on the assumption of a 12-month lease. If you're only going to sign an 8 month then I wouldn't think you'd find much below $1200. 

To give some perspective, I'm currently in undergrad, 3-5 Minute walk to the law building. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. 550/month each including heat and water. Electric and internet is our responsibility. 1 bedrooms are going to be expensive, but if you're willing to have a roommate the cost comes down.