Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a 1L student

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#26 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Just reading through this thread, sounds like an exciting place to hang out! As kind of a sports junkie, I'm curious curious about the athletic facilities at Western.  How is the gym equipment? (I did my undergrad at UofT, and the gym equipment is more depressing than you'd expect)

Would you recommend taking notes in class by hand or is it worthwhile to invest in a laptop?

If I live near/on campus, would I need a car to get around to various events and/or happenings? 

Are there dress code requirements for some of the extracurricular events? (ie, should I pack a suit and stash that in my closet)

Gym

The gym is really great and it's very close to the law school. As a law student, you're eligible to receive a free locker in the law building which is useful for your gym bag, etc. throughout the day. The only issue I personally have with the gym, though, is that it's frequently very busy. This is a result of our gym memberships being free (it's included in tuition). If you go at off-peak times and/or don't care about a little bit of hustle and bustle, you'll be fine.

Notes

I'd highly recommend investing in a laptop. Personally, I'd probably get like 10% of the notes down that I currently type out if I were to write by hand. 

Car

Some students have a car and some don't (obviously). It's really up to you. I don't have a car and I live downtown (about 15 minute bus ride to school). It's never usually an issue. Parking can get quite expensive and they put you at the back of the parking lot (students are all back there) so it's still quite the walk to campus anyway.

Clothing

Definitely bring at least one suit (male and female).

• Sherkhan likes this

#27 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?

There's virtually no way to know this because:

1. No one talks about the LSAT; and

2. Even if they did, people lie. A lot.

• sherry101, beyondsection17, bernard and 4 others like this

#28 hmyo

hmyo
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Gym

The gym is really great and it's very close to the law school. As a law student, you're eligible to receive a free locker in the law building which is useful for your gym bag, etc. throughout the day. The only issue I personally have with the gym, though, is that it's frequently very busy. This is a result of our gym memberships being free (it's included in tuition). If you go at off-peak times and/or don't care about a little bit of hustle and bustle, you'll be fine.

Notes

I'd highly recommend investing in a laptop. Personally, I'd probably get like 10% of the notes down that I currently type out if I were to write by hand. 

Car

Some students have a car and some don't (obviously). It's really up to you. I don't have a car and I live downtown (about 15 minute bus ride to school). It's never usually an issue. Parking can get quite expensive and they put you at the back of the parking lot (students are all back there) so it's still quite the walk to campus anyway.

Clothing

Definitely bring at least one suit (male and female).

Awesome info, thanks for the insight! I'm excited to start at Western come September.

• SpecterH likes this

#29 Jgweebz

Jgweebz
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

Dota > League.

I guess you won't learn that 'til 2L.

I'm too lame to learn new games :(. Stick with what I know!

Just reading through this thread, sounds like an exciting place to hang out! As kind of a sports junkie, I'm curious curious about the athletic facilities at Western.  How is the gym equipment? (I did my undergrad at UofT, and the gym equipment is more depressing than you'd expect)

Would you recommend taking notes in class by hand or is it worthwhile to invest in a laptop?

If I live near/on campus, would I need a car to get around to various events and/or happenings? 

Are there dress code requirements for some of the extracurricular events? (ie, should I pack a suit and stash that in my closet)

Decent facility but super busy at times.

A handful of ppl write by hand but I would recommend having a laptop for numerous other reasons, including writing your exams.

No, the bus will be fine. Find a place near a grocery store and/or LCBO/Beer Store and you won't need a car. If you do, London has Uber.

Yes, tons of events require a suit. For example, there is a moot tomorrow that requires a suit. Next Tuesday is a careers event that requires a suit. Next Wednesday is another moot that requires a suit. You'll dress up a couple times a month maybe. One suit is good enough, don't go crazy buying an expensive one. If you have the money to do so I would recommend buying multiple cheap ones.

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?

Yes...with >3.9 GPAs  :razz: 

Hard to answer unless someone on this board did get in or talked with classmates but it definitely happens. I would assume those applicants made up for it in other ways though. 

• 123tr likes this

#30 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

Yes, tons of events require a suit. For example, there is a moot tomorrow that requires a suit.

?

• Caracol, beyondsection17 and SpecterH like this

#31 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

?

Could not be more fitting for today's moot.

• Rearden and Mandalor like this

#32 Jgweebz

Jgweebz
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

?

LOL. Should be mandatory for future space moots.

• Rearden and SpecterH like this

#33 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

LOL. Should be mandatory for future space moots.

"Style" points.

• Caracol likes this

#34 CoffeeandLaw

CoffeeandLaw
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

When should we start looking for September leases?

#35 Garbo123

Garbo123
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

When should we start looking for September leases?

Whenever you want. June/July is an okay point to lock something down but you can easily wait till two weeks before school if you wanted to. 

#36 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Whenever you want. June/July is an okay point to lock something down but you can easily wait till two weeks before school if you wanted to. 

Don't wait until a couple of weeks before school. That's a bad idea for a number of reasons.

I'd highly recommend starting as soon as possible. Don't go out of your way and stress out to find a place right now but personally, I'd rather not have the constant worry of where the hell am I going to live in two weeks?!? in the back of my mind as I got deeper and deeper into the summer months. But I'm an anxious worrywart who worries about everything, so, meh. 

If you're more chill than I am, no worries.

#37 CoffeeandLaw

CoffeeandLaw
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

Don't wait until a couple of weeks before school. That's a bad idea for a number of reasons.

I'd highly recommend starting as soon as possible. Don't go out of your way and stress out to find a place right now but personally, I'd rather not have the constant worry of where the hell am I going to live in two weeks?!? in the back of my mind as I got deeper and deeper into the summer months. But I'm an anxious worrywart who worries about everything, so, meh. 

If you're more chill than I am, no worries.

Haha nope I'm a very anxious worry wart as well. I don't know anyone else going to Western next year so hoping to find a roommate. Not knowing where I am going to live or who I am going to live with is certainly stressing me out.

#38 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Haha nope I'm a very anxious worry wart as well. I don't know anyone else going to Western next year so hoping to find a roommate. Not knowing where I am going to live or who I am going to live with is certainly stressing me out.

Definitely make a post in the "Class of 2019" Facebook group! Practically everyone is in the exact same boat - and given that they're all future law students, most are probably just as anxious as us.

#39 CoffeeandLaw

CoffeeandLaw
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Definitely make a post in the "Class of 2019" Facebook group! Practically everyone is in the exact same boat - and given that they're all future law students, most are probably just as anxious as us.

Yes I definitely will. I'll probably wait for a bit longer so I don't look like a total keener lol.  If I want to live in a building, is there a certain month that needs to be done? Do they all fill up for September really early?

Edited by CoffeeandLaw, 27 February 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#40 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yes I definitely will. I'll probably wait for a bit longer so I don't look like a total keener lol.  If I want to live in a building, is there a certain month that needs to be done? Do they all fill up for September really early?

I think with a lot of the nicer apartment buildings downtown, there will always be vacancies because not everyone in the building is a student (i.e., my lease ends in August, so someone could easily take it when I graduate for a September start). The issue is that there may be fewer vacancies at that time, which means you'll want to get a head start in your search as soon as possible.

#41 InsertPseudonymHere

InsertPseudonymHere
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

I did my undergrad at UWO. For apartments, the nice ones usually don't fill up. All of the nice houses are picked over by now, but I know that 695 shouldn't be full come September (it never filled up during my 4 years at Western).

Luxe has completely filled up before. For what it's worth, I'm living there (unless it fills up before my buddy/roommate has his life sorted). 

"The Mark" is another nicer apartment building that I can vouch for. I've crashed there a couple of times (crashing at a friends there for Welcome Day, too), and it seems extremely secure and up-kept. 

So in short, the vast majority of the nicer buildings won't be full if you do decide to wait until closer to September :)

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere, 27 February 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#42 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

I did my undergrad at UWO. For apartments, the nice ones usually don't fill up. All of the nice houses are picked over by now, but I know that 695 shouldn't be fill come September (it never filled up during my 4 years at Western).

Luxe has completely filled up before. For what it's worth, I'm living there (unless it fills up before my buddy/roommate has his life sorted). 

"The Mark" is another nicer apartment building that I can vouch for. I've crashed there a couple of times (crashing at a friends there for Welcome Day, too), and it seems extremely secure and up-kept. 

So in short, the vast majority of the nicer buildings won't be full if you do decide to wait until closer to September :)

The Marq*. :)

#43 InsertPseudonymHere

InsertPseudonymHere
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

The Marq*. :)

Was JUST about to edit my post to change that hahaha.

Damn you Mr. Specter, too fast. I hope you are that fast when you're running to Gibbs' office in the upcoming episode of suits ;)

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere, 27 February 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#44 CoffeeandLaw

CoffeeandLaw
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Awesome, thanks for all of the great info. What about 520 Talbot? It seems really nice with good prices (coming from Toronto prices at least)

#45 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Awesome, thanks for all of the great info. What about 520 Talbot? It seems really nice with good prices (coming from Toronto prices at least)

It's a really, really nice building and a lot of law students live in it.

I'll PM you.

#46 hmyo

hmyo
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hey, I just firm accepted at Western and recently started researching accommodations in the area. Besides kijiji and uwo postings, is there another resource that is good for research? Thanks in advance!

#47 goodwillhunting

goodwillhunting
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:36 PM

Having never been to London before (and whose parents are from out west and are like, England?) had a few questions...

1) What can I expect to pay for rent? Do most places come with parking spots?

2) If you had a choice between car vs. no car, what would you choose? Is a car a hassle/too expensive with parking on campus or actually useful for commute/groceries?

3) Is on-campus residence an option (or rather, recommended option) for 1L?

4) Recommended move in for September 1st? Or earlier? How long would you suggest being in London to settle pre-classes/orientation week (trying to plan out when I have to quit my job... lol)

Haven't made a firm decision yet/waiting to hear back from a few other schools but seriously considering Western! Hope to see some of you this Saturday :)

#48 Cabaret

Cabaret
  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

Hey, I just firm accepted at Western and recently started researching accommodations in the area. Besides kijiji and uwo postings, is there another resource that is good for research? Thanks in advance!

Kijiji and the UWO Off Campus Housing Listings were all I used!

Having never been to London before (and whose parents are from out west and are like, England?) had a few questions...

1) What can I expect to pay for rent? Do most places come with parking spots?

2) If you had a choice between car vs. no car, what would you choose? Is a car a hassle/too expensive with parking on campus or actually useful for commute/groceries?

3) Is on-campus residence an option (or rather, recommended option) for 1L?

4) Recommended move in for September 1st? Or earlier? How long would you suggest being in London to settle pre-classes/orientation week (trying to plan out when I have to quit my job... lol)

Haven't made a firm decision yet/waiting to hear back from a few other schools but seriously considering Western! Hope to see some of you this Saturday :)

For living alone? Or with roommates? 

1) For a 1-bedroom, I know people paying between 700-1200 a month. For a lot of places downtown, I found parking to be an extra cost. 

2) Depends where you live. If you were downtown, it's probably easier to get to campus without a car, and you don't really need one. There are grocery stores & such downtown. I don't live downtown, so I like having mine for errands. I took the bus this year, but am considering paying for a parking pass next year. 

3) I think I know maybe one person who lives on campus. It's an option - but you might be alone. I'm not sure how many live in grad housing.

4) My lease started earlier, but I think I moved in around that time. Orientation is the Tuesday after Labour Day, so you would have a few days to get ready for a Sept 1 move-in. It depends how much you have to do (i.e. do you need to find and purchase/assemble all your furniture? Or just get things arranged?)

• goodwillhunting likes this

#49 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

Honestly, it may be easier to take the bus to campus for the following reasons:

1. Parking is expensive and money is put to good use for other things like booze;

2. School shoves us kids at the back of the parking lot, making your walk from the parking lot to the school longer than I'd like; and

3. Bus passes are free, yo.

• goodwillhunting likes this

#50 ivinadivina

ivinadivina
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Do 1L exams run until the end of the exam period (the Friday)? How far in advance do you receive the examination schedule?