Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a 1L student

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#251 LLLAW

LLLAW
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

So I've read on this forum that some people received bursaries around December. Is there a second round of bursaries that goes out around then? I thought it was just the one round that happened during the summer for the beginning of the academic year.

• pinkroses likes this

#252 bernard

bernard
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

So I've read on this forum that some people received bursaries around December. Is there a second round of bursaries that goes out around then? I thought it was just the one round that happened during the summer for the beginning of the academic year.

I think my 1L bursary was in the summer before 1L started and my 2L bursary was in Dec/Jan of 2L. Others can chime in if they had a different experience.

• LLLAW likes this

#253 123tr

123tr
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

How strenuous are the 2 modules due by the end of O-week? 

#254 LEJ

LEJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:40 AM

Not strenuous, they really should not be a concern for you. They are pass/fail and if you fail you just redo the assignment. That being said, if you can get them done before O-week starts I would do it so that you can focus on enjoying the week!

• beyondsection17 likes this

#255 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

Not strenuous, they really should not be a concern for you. They are pass/fail and if you fail you just redo the assignment. That being said, if you can get them done before O-week starts I would do it so that you can focus on enjoying the week!

do you know when we find out if we passed or failed the quizzes? i just submitted mine but didn't get any results. Thanks!

#256 corruptfate

corruptfate
  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

do you know when we find out if we passed or failed the quizzes? i just submitted mine but didn't get any results. Thanks!

Inside the course on OWL, on the right hand side, click on gradebook

#257 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Inside the course on OWL, on the right hand side, click on gradebook

Ohhhh thank you!

#258 lucysweb2001

lucysweb2001
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm moving into 205 Oxford and will have my car with me the entire time I'm in London. Since our building's parking garage is under construction, I was told that there is a free lot near by where I can park my car at. I searched around on google map and the only lot that seems to fit the description is the 75 Ann Street building.  Can anyone give me a bit more information regarding residential parking? Anything is appreciated.   

#259 InsertPseudonymHere

InsertPseudonymHere
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm moving into 205 Oxford and will have my car with me the entire time I'm in London. Since our building's parking garage is under construction, I was told that there is a free lot near by where I can park my car at. I searched around on google map and the only lot that seems to fit the description is the 75 Ann Street building.  Can anyone give me a bit more information regarding residential parking? Anything is appreciated.   

Hey! Hope this isn't too late. I'm at 205 as well. However, for the time before that, I was parking at 75 Ann.

Basically, go over to 75 Ann. Right when you walk in, you'll see the main office. Just tell them that you're at 205 and need a parking spot. They'll give you a parking decal and a remote, which will give you access to the underground garage. It's kind of annoying, but the walk from 75 to 205 isn't too bad.

Private message me if you have any other questions! 

#260 lucysweb2001

lucysweb2001
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thanks!! Not too late at all! I'm parked at 75 Ann now.

#261 lawisneato

lawisneato
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

Quick question: Could anyone confirm that tomorrow is supposed to be business formal? The invitation wasn't terribly clear whether or not tomorrow required a suit and tie (at least, I didn't think "business attire" was unequivocal). Thanks.

#262 Hello12345

Hello12345
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

Quick question: Could anyone confirm that tomorrow is supposed to be business formal? The invitation wasn't terribly clear whether or not tomorrow required a suit and tie (at least, I didn't think "business attire" was unequivocal). Thanks.

Someone on the Facebook page confirmed it was suit and tie. So that's what I will be wearing at least

#263 EIIeWoods

EIIeWoods
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon,ON

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

I am currently struggling to keep up with and understand all of the cases in the readings. Does anyone have any study tips?

#264 bernard

bernard
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

I am currently struggling to keep up with and understand all of the cases in the readings. Does anyone have any study tips?

Read your summary* before you do the readings. This way you'll know the point of the case before you start and you'll be able to navigate the reasoning more easily. You also don't have to read every word of every case. That kind of studying will lead to burn out more often than it will lead to an improved understanding of the materials. For some courses it may be appropriate to spend most of your time learning the summary, rather than the readings.

*assuming you're taking the path of least resistance and are already relying on the amazing summaries that are floating around/in the 1L dropbox. If you're making your own summaries, well, that might something to reconsider.

Alternatively: sleep less, eat quicker, and read faster.

#265 bluesclues58

bluesclues58
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

This isn't exactly a study tip.... but don't forget too that you will get much better at reading and understanding the cases through the course of the term. Cases are often written with the assumption that the reader already knows certain things about the law and the legal system. I remember spending ages at the beginning of 1L reading cases and trying to draw inferences to figure out things that I now take for granted. For example, lots of cases are confusing until you have a clear idea of how appellate review works. I can definitely sympathize- readings take forever at the beginning of 1L. That said,  if you stick with it things will probably improve- soon enough you'll know more about the system, have a better sense of the structure legal reasoning and be more familiar with legal terminology. 

#266 wdym1234

wdym1234
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

Edited by wdym1234, 24 September 2016 - 10:47 PM.

#267 1235

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?

I did, so it for sure happens. Also made Dean's List in 1L so don't stress about your LSAT, not really a good indicator of law school performance. 

#268 sweetgal126

sweetgal126
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

Quick question regarding summaries: Do we leave them after the exam or do we take it with us? Also, I've seen some upper years with binded summaries, is this necessary? Where does one get binding done? Would stapling or putting it in a binder do the trick? 

#269 Rearden

Rearden
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Quick question regarding summaries: Do we leave them after the exam or do we take it with us?  

No, you take them with you.

Also, I've seen some upper years with binded summaries, is this necessary?

It's not necessary, but I liked having them bound -- doing so forced me to stop tinkering with my summary.

Where does one get binding done? Would stapling or putting it in a binder do the trick? 

I go to Creative Services in the UCC, but many people use their own binders.  It comes down to personal preference.

• sweetgal126 likes this