benschnell

Ask a 1L student

286 posts in this topic

Yes I definitely will. I'll probably wait for a bit longer so I don't look like a total keener lol.  If I want to live in a building, is there a certain month that needs to be done? Do they all fill up for September really early?

I did my undergrad at UWO. For apartments, the nice ones usually don't fill up. All of the nice houses are picked over by now, but I know that 695 shouldn't be full come September (it never filled up during my 4 years at Western).

Luxe has completely filled up before. For what it's worth, I'm living there (unless it fills up before my buddy/roommate has his life sorted). 

"The Mark" is another nicer apartment building that I can vouch for. I've crashed there a couple of times (crashing at a friends there for Welcome Day, too), and it seems extremely secure and up-kept. 

So in short, the vast majority of the nicer buildings won't be full if you do decide to wait until closer to September :)

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere

I did my undergrad at UWO. For apartments, the nice ones usually don't fill up. All of the nice houses are picked over by now, but I know that 695 shouldn't be fill come September (it never filled up during my 4 years at Western).

Luxe has completely filled up before. For what it's worth, I'm living there (unless it fills up before my buddy/roommate has his life sorted). 

"The Mark" is another nicer apartment building that I can vouch for. I've crashed there a couple of times (crashing at a friends there for Welcome Day, too), and it seems extremely secure and up-kept. 

So in short, the vast majority of the nicer buildings won't be full if you do decide to wait until closer to September :)

The Marq*. :)

The Marq*. :)

Was JUST about to edit my post to change that hahaha.

Damn you Mr. Specter, too fast. I hope you are that fast when you're running to Gibbs' office in the upcoming episode of suits ;)

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere

Awesome, thanks for all of the great info. What about 520 Talbot? It seems really nice with good prices (coming from Toronto prices at least)

Awesome, thanks for all of the great info. What about 520 Talbot? It seems really nice with good prices (coming from Toronto prices at least)

It's a really, really nice building and a lot of law students live in it.

I'll PM you.

Hey, I just firm accepted at Western and recently started researching accommodations in the area. Besides kijiji and uwo postings, is there another resource that is good for research? Thanks in advance!

Having never been to London before (and whose parents are from out west and are like, England?) had a few questions...

1) What can I expect to pay for rent? Do most places come with parking spots?

2) If you had a choice between car vs. no car, what would you choose? Is a car a hassle/too expensive with parking on campus or actually useful for commute/groceries?

3) Is on-campus residence an option (or rather, recommended option) for 1L?

4) Recommended move in for September 1st? Or earlier? How long would you suggest being in London to settle pre-classes/orientation week (trying to plan out when I have to quit my job... lol)

Haven't made a firm decision yet/waiting to hear back from a few other schools but seriously considering Western! Hope to see some of you this Saturday :)

Hey, I just firm accepted at Western and recently started researching accommodations in the area. Besides kijiji and uwo postings, is there another resource that is good for research? Thanks in advance!

Kijiji and the UWO Off Campus Housing Listings were all I used!

Having never been to London before (and whose parents are from out west and are like, England?) had a few questions...

1) What can I expect to pay for rent? Do most places come with parking spots?

2) If you had a choice between car vs. no car, what would you choose? Is a car a hassle/too expensive with parking on campus or actually useful for commute/groceries?

3) Is on-campus residence an option (or rather, recommended option) for 1L?

4) Recommended move in for September 1st? Or earlier? How long would you suggest being in London to settle pre-classes/orientation week (trying to plan out when I have to quit my job... lol)

Haven't made a firm decision yet/waiting to hear back from a few other schools but seriously considering Western! Hope to see some of you this Saturday :)

For living alone? Or with roommates? 

1) For a 1-bedroom, I know people paying between 700-1200 a month. For a lot of places downtown, I found parking to be an extra cost. 

2) Depends where you live. If you were downtown, it's probably easier to get to campus without a car, and you don't really need one. There are grocery stores & such downtown. I don't live downtown, so I like having mine for errands. I took the bus this year, but am considering paying for a parking pass next year. 

3) I think I know maybe one person who lives on campus. It's an option - but you might be alone. I'm not sure how many live in grad housing.

4) My lease started earlier, but I think I moved in around that time. Orientation is the Tuesday after Labour Day, so you would have a few days to get ready for a Sept 1 move-in. It depends how much you have to do (i.e. do you need to find and purchase/assemble all your furniture? Or just get things arranged?)

1 person likes this

Honestly, it may be easier to take the bus to campus for the following reasons:

1. Parking is expensive and money is put to good use for other things like booze;

2. School shoves us kids at the back of the parking lot, making your walk from the parking lot to the school longer than I'd like; and

3. Bus passes are free, yo.

1 person likes this

Do 1L exams run until the end of the exam period (the Friday)? How far in advance do you receive the examination schedule? 

Do 1L exams run until the end of the exam period (the Friday)? How far in advance do you receive the examination schedule? 

Typically, yes. You know at least a few months in advance.

1 person likes this

As someone who took the bus to school for a year and then drove to school for a year, driving is infinitely better.

1 person likes this

The exam schedule is decided in the summer before upper year course selection happens so yeah, you will have tons of advance notice. For 1L, the schedule is some variation of Tues/Thurs - Mon/Wed/Fri. I believe it's handed out on day one.

Same goes for 2L and 3L. You can only write one exam per day so you have to think about your exam schedule when you sign up for courses.

1 person likes this

I literally scheduled my courses in 2L according to their respective exam schedules. Though, there are some upper years who are only now finding out their exam schedules because it wasn't a consideration for them when selecting their courses.

I highly recommend my approach - within reason.

Edit: But 1L is quite predictable. In December, I believe mine was a Tuesday/Thursday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule, and April was a Friday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Monday/Wednesday exam schedule (yeah, it's rough times).

Edited by SpecterH
1 person likes this

This year the midterm schedule (at least for me) was:

Week 1: Tuesday, Thursday

Week 2: Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Because we have one more course (either Corporate or Ethics) in the winter semester, my final exam schedule looks like this:

Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Unfortunately, there is very little time (about 2 days) between the end of classes and the beginning of exams: our last class is on April 15 (a Friday), and our first exam is on the 18th (following Monday).

1 person likes this

This year the midterm schedule (at least for me) was:

Week 1: Tuesday, Thursday

Because we have one more course (either Corporate or Ethics) in the winter semester, my final exam schedule looks like this:

Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Unfortunately, there is very little time (about 2 days) between the end of classes and the beginning of exams: our last class is on April 15 (a Friday), and our first exam is on the 18th (following Monday).

Finally. This is how it should have been. We finished classes on the Wednesday last year and started with the 100% Ethics final on the Friday.

1 person likes this

Can someone comment on how intramural sports work? How can we get involved?

Western Law tends to field teams for intramurals. It will be sent out to students, then you sign up online to join the law school team.

I think you have to pay a deposit and take a short quiz. 

Western Law tends to field teams for intramurals. It will be sent out to students, then you sign up online to join the law school team.

I think you have to pay a deposit and take a short quiz. 

a quiz?

a quiz?

I believe it was about the rules of the game? I don't think it was supposed to be very hard. I'm pretty sure the quiz is required by Campus Rec or something like that. 

1 person likes this