benschnell

Ask a 1L student

286 posts in this topic

You guys are selling me so hard on Western...when should I start looking for a place? why does everywhere I look at start in May 1st? Can I find a place starting August or July at least? 

You guys are selling me so hard on Western...when should I start looking for a place? why does everywhere I look at start in May 1st? Can I find a place starting August or July at least? 

May 1st merely aligns with the typical school year schedule but there are a number of apartment buildings that offer start dates throughout the summer (June, July, August). I can recommend that you inquire at the following buildings that typically house a lot of law students:

- 695 Richmond Street

- 675 Richmond Street

- 520 Talbot Street

- 205 Oxford Street E.

Good luck!

2 people like this

Just reading through this thread, sounds like an exciting place to hang out! As kind of a sports junkie, I'm curious curious about the athletic facilities at Western.  How is the gym equipment? (I did my undergrad at UofT, and the gym equipment is more depressing than you'd expect)

Would you recommend taking notes in class by hand or is it worthwhile to invest in a laptop?

If I live near/on campus, would I need a car to get around to various events and/or happenings? 

Are there dress code requirements for some of the extracurricular events? (ie, should I pack a suit and stash that in my closet)

Just reading through this thread, sounds like an exciting place to hang out! As kind of a sports junkie, I'm curious curious about the athletic facilities at Western.  How is the gym equipment? (I did my undergrad at UofT, and the gym equipment is more depressing than you'd expect)

Would you recommend taking notes in class by hand or is it worthwhile to invest in a laptop?

If I live near/on campus, would I need a car to get around to various events and/or happenings? 

Are there dress code requirements for some of the extracurricular events? (ie, should I pack a suit and stash that in my closet)

Gym

The gym is really great and it's very close to the law school. As a law student, you're eligible to receive a free locker in the law building which is useful for your gym bag, etc. throughout the day. The only issue I personally have with the gym, though, is that it's frequently very busy. This is a result of our gym memberships being free (it's included in tuition). If you go at off-peak times and/or don't care about a little bit of hustle and bustle, you'll be fine.

Notes

I'd highly recommend investing in a laptop. Personally, I'd probably get like 10% of the notes down that I currently type out if I were to write by hand. 

Car

Some students have a car and some don't (obviously). It's really up to you. I don't have a car and I live downtown (about 15 minute bus ride to school). It's never usually an issue. Parking can get quite expensive and they put you at the back of the parking lot (students are all back there) so it's still quite the walk to campus anyway.

Clothing

Definitely bring at least one suit (male and female).

1 person likes this

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?

There's virtually no way to know this because:

1. No one talks about the LSAT; and

2. Even if they did, people lie. A lot.

7 people like this

Gym

The gym is really great and it's very close to the law school. As a law student, you're eligible to receive a free locker in the law building which is useful for your gym bag, etc. throughout the day. The only issue I personally have with the gym, though, is that it's frequently very busy. This is a result of our gym memberships being free (it's included in tuition). If you go at off-peak times and/or don't care about a little bit of hustle and bustle, you'll be fine.

Notes

I'd highly recommend investing in a laptop. Personally, I'd probably get like 10% of the notes down that I currently type out if I were to write by hand. 

Car

Some students have a car and some don't (obviously). It's really up to you. I don't have a car and I live downtown (about 15 minute bus ride to school). It's never usually an issue. Parking can get quite expensive and they put you at the back of the parking lot (students are all back there) so it's still quite the walk to campus anyway.

Clothing

Definitely bring at least one suit (male and female).

Awesome info, thanks for the insight! I'm excited to start at Western come September.

1 person likes this

Dota > League.

I guess you won't learn that 'til 2L.

I'm too lame to learn new games :(. Stick with what I know!

Decent facility but super busy at times.

A handful of ppl write by hand but I would recommend having a laptop for numerous other reasons, including writing your exams.

No, the bus will be fine. Find a place near a grocery store and/or LCBO/Beer Store and you won't need a car. If you do, London has Uber.

Yes, tons of events require a suit. For example, there is a moot tomorrow that requires a suit. Next Tuesday is a careers event that requires a suit. Next Wednesday is another moot that requires a suit. You'll dress up a couple times a month maybe. One suit is good enough, don't go crazy buying an expensive one. If you have the money to do so I would recommend buying multiple cheap ones.

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?

Yes...with >3.9 GPAs  :-P 

Hard to answer unless someone on this board did get in or talked with classmates but it definitely happens. I would assume those applicants made up for it in other ways though. 

1 person likes this

Yes, tons of events require a suit. For example, there is a moot tomorrow that requires a suit.

?

3 people like this

When should we start looking for September leases?

Whenever you want. June/July is an okay point to lock something down but you can easily wait till two weeks before school if you wanted to. 

Whenever you want. June/July is an okay point to lock something down but you can easily wait till two weeks before school if you wanted to. 

Don't wait until a couple of weeks before school. That's a bad idea for a number of reasons.

I'd highly recommend starting as soon as possible. Don't go out of your way and stress out to find a place right now but personally, I'd rather not have the constant worry of where the hell am I going to live in two weeks?!? in the back of my mind as I got deeper and deeper into the summer months. But I'm an anxious worrywart who worries about everything, so, meh. 

If you're more chill than I am, no worries.

Don't wait until a couple of weeks before school. That's a bad idea for a number of reasons.

I'd highly recommend starting as soon as possible. Don't go out of your way and stress out to find a place right now but personally, I'd rather not have the constant worry of where the hell am I going to live in two weeks?!? in the back of my mind as I got deeper and deeper into the summer months. But I'm an anxious worrywart who worries about everything, so, meh. 

If you're more chill than I am, no worries.

Haha nope I'm a very anxious worry wart as well. I don't know anyone else going to Western next year so hoping to find a roommate. Not knowing where I am going to live or who I am going to live with is certainly stressing me out.

Haha nope I'm a very anxious worry wart as well. I don't know anyone else going to Western next year so hoping to find a roommate. Not knowing where I am going to live or who I am going to live with is certainly stressing me out.

Definitely make a post in the "Class of 2019" Facebook group! Practically everyone is in the exact same boat - and given that they're all future law students, most are probably just as anxious as us.

Definitely make a post in the "Class of 2019" Facebook group! Practically everyone is in the exact same boat - and given that they're all future law students, most are probably just as anxious as us.

Yes I definitely will. I'll probably wait for a bit longer so I don't look like a total keener lol.  If I want to live in a building, is there a certain month that needs to be done? Do they all fill up for September really early?

Edited by CoffeeandLaw

Yes I definitely will. I'll probably wait for a bit longer so I don't look like a total keener lol.  If I want to live in a building, is there a certain month that needs to be done? Do they all fill up for September really early?

I think with a lot of the nicer apartment buildings downtown, there will always be vacancies because not everyone in the building is a student (i.e., my lease ends in August, so someone could easily take it when I graduate for a September start). The issue is that there may be fewer vacancies at that time, which means you'll want to get a head start in your search as soon as possible.