benschnell

Ask a 1L student

Does anyone know what the Welcome Day schedule looks like? Can you pick and choose what you want to do, or is there a set timeline for everything?

On 2018-02-05 at 1:37 PM, LawStudent1996 said:

Does anyone know what the Welcome Day schedule looks like? Can you pick and choose what you want to do, or is there a set timeline for everything?

It looks like theres a set timeline but Im sure if you don't want to do something they're not going to force you to go. The timeline should be included in one of the e-mails.

Can someone post a link to the incoming class facebook group? The 3L student who called me mentioned it but I didn't have a chance to write it down ! thanks:)

Does anyone currently studying at Western Law have any advice regarding the following:

- Best location to look for rental housing for the year? Is the UWO off-campus website the best place to look?

- When is the time to secure rental housing for the year?

- Any additional advice regarding housing for a mature 1st year law student that will attending Western in Sep 2018?

Thank You.

54 minutes ago, QuickMaths said:

Does anyone currently studying at Western Law have any advice regarding the following:

- Best location to look for rental housing for the year? Is the UWO off-campus website the best place to look?

- Any additional advice regarding housing for a mature 1st year law student that will attending Western in Sep 2018?

Thank You.

Not a 1L, but current UWO undergrad:

1) I've found a mix between UWO's off-campus and Kijiji to be fine, a lot of it is crosslisted anyways. Off-Campus will tailor towards students and will be concentrated in a handful of areas, Kijiji tailors itself closer to the downtown core, but still has a good mix. If you're going in as a group, I've heard both good and bad from Exclusive Rentals.

2) Do your due diligence on this, but IIRC in general, London is a renter's market, so securing September leases aren't uncommon, although you may be filling a room with randoms. Most landlords will push for 12 month leases, and worse case scenario you go into London Hall, it's not a huge difference when you factor in the summer you saved. As a whole though, you can probably secure a place in August.

3) I wouldn't recommend living east of the Thames in Old North. Often times you're walking, and the Law building isn't conducive to living on that side of campus, but the best downtown access. Living behind Brescia or slightly down Western Road maintains walkability, farther down to Wharncliffe you're going to be fighting for buses north of Oxford, but the bus will take you as close as you're going to get to the Law building. Another viable alternative is to live down Platt's Lane, although getting downtown from there is a bit more of a pain in the ass, it'll also get you right to the Law building on a bus. Living down Wonderland is also an option, although the distance takes you away from pretty much everything.

This is all assuming you don't have a car. If you do, it changes everything. Also, don't underestimate the walks in London, it's fine in the summer, but London gets a shitload of snow and the city sucks at keeping sidewalks clear. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, QuickMaths said:

Thank You.

Current 1L. 

. Kijiji seems to be the best, I looked at the off-campus housing and found it was a lot of the same ads that were on kijiji. 

I got my place in July before the academic year started, there were lots available before that, and lots available after. There is still lots of for rent signs around town. Just look for the place that best works for you and go for it. 

Any additional advice would be to get a place closer to campus, the commute seems like forever when you're in exam time. I would recommend staying away from the downtown area, it is nice and lively-- just a little too lively. There is a lot of housing north of campus that seems to be popular with older 1Ls (as in they enjoy quiet 1Ls). I made the mistake of living downtown and I regret it with all the constant noise from undergrads getting wild almost every night of the week

Hope this helps and I look forward to meeting you next year! If you have any other questions let me know! 

Edited by Rebbox
  • Thanks 1

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could comment on how feasible it would be to commute to Western during the first year? (45 minutes each way) 

5 hours ago, mea2018 said:

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could comment on how feasible it would be to commute to Western during the first year? (45 minutes each way) 

I lived in London during 1L but commuting 45 mins each way seems fine to me. You're most likely going to have class every day (and have no control over your schedule) so you'll have to do the commute Mon-Fri and often classes start around 9/10 but tbh 45 minutes isn't that long (as least in my perspective) so i think it's fine. There is parking on campus (i think the law building lot is all reserved/taken up - it's pretty small, but there are other lots you can park in).