benschnell

Ask a 1L student

325 posts in this topic

Haha my comment was mostly tongue in cheek, thank you both for the responses though :P 

That said, this winter my street in Vancouver had snow on in for nearly 2 weeks! So I think I can say I'm a snow-driving expert at this point. 

Also, wait, isn't London south of Toronto? Shouldn't it be warmer/have less snow than Toronto? Or do the lakes mess with the weather sufficiently?

Also, there are big lakes in Ontario, right? I haven't been mislead :P 

7 hours ago, kiamia said:

I've been warned that there are copious amounts of snow in London, so I'd invest in tall-ish boots with good soles. Probably too late to catch sales on those though, so you might have to wait till the stores bring them out again. And any good quality winter jacket will do (ideally from one of the athletic-wear companies), but there's no need for Canada Goose. You will also want a hat, a scarf, and gloves of some kind. This all goes for T.O. too, except we haven't been getting as many large snowfalls the past few years, but sidewalks are still often slippery.

Thats really helpful - thanks! I wasn't keen on buying a canada goose so thats good to know. 

15 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Also, wait, isn't London south of Toronto? Shouldn't it be warmer/have less snow than Toronto? Or do the lakes mess with the weather sufficiently?

Also, there are big lakes in Ontario, right? I haven't been mislead  

London is south of Toronto but the lakes do mess with the weather, so you end up having extremely hot and humid summers and extremely cold and dry (and snowy) winters. It's a city of extremes. Gotta love being in the snow belt!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 7/24/2017 at 5:50 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Do you think I'll need winter tires?

I drove with all-seasons, and with all-weathers. I don't have straight snow tires, but I did notice a difference with the all-weathers.

For those telling you London is some kind of snowpocalypse...they're wrong. Yeah, it snows. More than Vancouver or Toronto. But the crazy snowstorms have been fairly infrequent during my time in London. Get some snow boots, and a warm jacket, and you will be fine. It's not a frozen wasteland for 6 months of the year. And it really, truly doesn't snow that much.

Edited by Cabaret
2 people like this