benschnell

Ask a 1L student

300 posts in this topic

There is typically a 1L session in January/February and a 2L session in March. In my year, a Cassels rep ran the 1L session and a Faskens rep ran the 2L session.

I'm assuming all of these sessions (I heard there are also multiple lunch info sessions throughout the year) will be communicated through e-mail?

I'm assuming all of these sessions (I heard there are also multiple lunch info sessions throughout the year) will be communicated through e-mail?

Sometimes they are. Robyn's pretty good about publicizing the job-search info sessions.

But you can always check Symplicity (CPDO website) for upcoming events. 

Don't worry about Symplicity or any of this until you start school in September. Please.

Sometimes they are. Robyn's pretty good about publicizing the job-search info sessions.

But you can always check Symplicity (CPDO website) for upcoming events. 

Don't worry about Symplicity or any of this until you start school in September. Please.

hahaha I love the super small font. Okay I won't do anything about it until September. Thank you.

1 person likes this

hahaha I love the super small font. Okay I won't do anything about it until September. Thank you.

1L recruit is not even worth thinking about till January. It's such a crapshoot and prospects so slim that it's not something you need to be stressing out over. Realistically you will be spending your summer after 1L doing what you've always done on summers: working at some random job, travelling, hobbies, etc. 

It's worthwhile to mention that the same could be said for the 2L/OCI recruit (occurs July/August after 1L). They're built up to death at Western, and you should definitely make a solid effort and hedge your bets if Toronto bay street is your thing, but the odds of landing one  aren't great and it's not the end of the world if you don't. It's not even the end of the world if you don't land an articling gig (recruit May-August after 2L) since many jobs are posted throughout your 3L year and even after the bar exams/graduation in June. 

In short: obviously try (and hedge your bets as much as possible, apply to lots of different places, etc) but don't kill yourself stressing about jobs. They'll happen eventually. 

1 person likes this

Hi I was wondering how important it is to live close to downtown?

The place I'm looking at now is amazing and about a 6 minute bus ride to masonville mall. I'm concerned with missing out on social gatherings because I will we further from dt and from what I've read most law students live there. However, I have a friend at another law school who said that she really didn't have that much time to go out more than 2 or 3 times a month once school started. Am I over thinking this?

The place I'm looking at now is amazing and about a 6 minute bus ride to masonville mall. I'm concerned with missing out on social gatherings because I will we further from dt and from what I've read most law students live there. However, I have a friend at another law school who said that she really didn't have that much time to go out more than 2 or 3 times a month once school started. Am I over thinking this?

You'll be fine no matter where you live. That sounds like a fine location. As long as you're on a bus route that goes downtown you're golden.

1 person likes this

That's not a bad location at all. if you're south of Masonville you'll be in the best spot but anything that close to Masonville is fine. We have Dennings every other week, so you'll probably want to go to those. You're still going to be within range of downtown though, its not a huge city. Pick the place you like and make sure you can get to school - that's most important.

1 person likes this

Perhaps this is a silly question...but are the final exams usually worth 100% of your grade? Or is anyone able to give me a bit of a general mark breakdown?

Perhaps this is a silly question...but are the final exams usually worth 100% of your grade? Or is anyone able to give me a bit of a general mark breakdown?

Most of my first-year courses (with the exception of Legal Ethics/Corporate and LRWA) were full-year courses.  For each full-year course, l had a midterm worth between 20-30% of my mark and a final exam worth between 70%-80%.

I'm not sure what the evaluation scheme for Ethics was, but those of us who took Corporate were able to choose from 3 evaluation options: (1) 100% exam, (2) 70% exam + 3 10% papers, and (3) 70% exam + 30% essay.

That said, things may be different for your cohort.

Edited by Rearden
1 person likes this

Also, on a tight B curve, there is effectively no difference between a 70% exam and a 100% exam. Your December exams are a practice round.

1 person likes this

I'd only add that if you're looking to do the 1L recruit (which is a crapshoot), or if you're hoping to land an ISLIP internship, your midterm grades will matter.

2 people like this

Random question: What is Law O-Week like? I'm coming from an Undergrad at Western and wondering about the similarities/ differences between the two... 

Thanks!

Random question: What is Law O-Week like? I'm coming from an Undergrad at Western and wondering about the similarities/ differences between the two... 

Thanks!

You also have class during the week (kind of), and everyone is of age. Those two facts sum up the basic differences.

Thanks!

Wondering this too. Undergrad OWeek at Western was lit, but I feel as if Western law would not want their name associated with half the stuff that went down hahaha

Not sure what to say here--I think its pretty standard. It's a combination of getting used to the law school and classes (you do have classes during O-Week) and social events. There are events scheduled for each night, the majority of which involve bringing your ID.

Edited by benschnell
1 person likes this

I remember a lot of O-Week last year being geared towards bonding with your small group and getting to know people generally. The drinking events were fun but not out of control. For classes, there was only light reading and that OTLATLS module. 

1 person likes this

How many textbooks does one usually carry with them on a day-to-day basis?

Would it be unreasonable to use a large handbag versus a backpack to bring my stuff to and from school? I used a handbag throughout undergrad with a textbook or two + a laptop and I was fine.. should I expect the same?

How many textbooks does one usually carry with them on a day-to-day basis?

Would it be unreasonable to use a large handbag versus a backpack to bring my stuff to and from school? I used a handbag throughout undergrad with a textbook or two + a laptop and I was fine.. should I expect the same?

All 1Ls are provided with a locker in the law building, so you'll probably be fine with a handbag.

I typically carried 2 textbooks around with me each day because (i) I liked to read in between classes, (ii) I hate reading off of computer screens, and (iii) I forgot my locker combination far too many times.  However, there were people who never opened the hardcopy of their textbook -- they just used the softcopy and/or referred to summaries during class.

Also worth mentioning that some professors do not allow computers in the classroom.

Edited by Rearden
2 people like this

Hey any advice on laptops? I'm leaning towards a macbook air but I was wondering if this would cause any issues in terms of the the exam software or sharing cans (in case they are Microsoft word docs). Any advice would be appreciated.

Also are we going to get any sort of welcome email before school starts about orientation and what not?

Hey any advice on laptops? I'm leaning towards a macbook air but I was wondering if this would cause any issues in terms of the the exam software or sharing cans (in case they are Microsoft word docs). Any advice would be appreciated.

Also are we going to get any sort of welcome email before school starts about orientation and what not?

I'd say the majority of students use mac computers so they don't present any issues. I have one as well and I run word/excel/powerpoint on it. I think some people use pages but I would imagine it can open word docs and such? Also, for some reason different schools use different terminology and at Western people say "summaries" instead of "CANs" (assuming you're referring to condensed annotated notes). Some people may not understand what you're referring to if you ask about CANs.

You'll get plenty of emails before school starts so don't worry about that. You'll get a pdf about O-Week events before school starts and then basically everything else you need to know can wait until the first day of O-Week or later.

2 people like this