Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a 1L student

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#1 benschnell

benschnell
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hey guys,

I'm in 1L at Western right now. I'm happy to take any questions :)

• BrokenWindow, Rearden and SpennySon like this

#2 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

Same goes for me. I'm a 2L at Western.

• Rearden likes this

#3 westcoastemma

westcoastemma
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for starting this!  Haven't been accepted to Western yet (fingers crossed), but it seems like an awesome law school.

I was wondering if either of you (or anyone else reading this) have experience with the Sports Solution Clinic? I read about it on the website, so I guess I'm mainly curious now as to what the workload is like and whether you found it to be a rewarding experience.

Thanks again :)

• InsertPseudonymHere likes this

#4 benschnell

benschnell
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

@westcoastemma Hi,

I don't have personal experience with it but I do volunteer with the Community Legal Services.. the workload there is generally dependent on what students put into it. I had a few hours a week, and that is normal for 1Ls that are involved in it, but some of the 3Ls do it on a nearly full-time basis, by their choice. And that was a very rewarding experience.

From what I know about the Sports Solutions Clinic the workload tends to be pretty fluctuating.. there may be a few things going on at once that will require some time but then there will be lulls where there are only a couple hours a week. Everyone I know who has been involved has enjoyed it but the Sports Solutions Clinic only accepts a few students.

Good luck with your acceptance.

Edited by benschnell, 12 January 2016 - 09:52 PM.

• BrokenWindow, westcoastemma, Mandalor and 1 other like this

#5 Steven22

Steven22
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

What is the workload like at western? Thank you

#6 InsertPseudonymHere

InsertPseudonymHere
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Would you be able to describe what your day-to-day is?

Like:
8am: wake up
9am: class
10am: do readings
... Etc?

• Starling likes this

#7 benschnell

benschnell
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi @Steven22

I'm sure the workload at Western is similar to any other law school. Class in first year is 18hrs a week, and there's an online course that has an assignment here and there, but that's pretty minor. You're gonna have to read at least as many hours as you have class. There's one legal writing course which has a few assignments, but otherwise the courses are all 30%-70% midterm and final exam. Courses run the whole year.

Then you can add in whatever extracurriculars you want. There are intramurals, moots (these are mock-trials / oral advocacy competitions), student government, etc.

Let me know if you want details on anything else.

• BrokenWindow, Mandalor and SpennySon like this

#8 benschnell

benschnell
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

POPULAR

Hi @InsertPseudonymHere

Good question...

At Western we're divided into 8 groups of 20, and each group has a different schedule. My schedule was like this:

0800 Wake up

0900-1020 Class (Every day)

1020-1100 Play foosball (there's a lounge for western students that has foosball and pool, and people just hang out otherwise)

1100-1230 Class (Twice a week - if not then 1020-1230 usually turns into library time)

1230-1400 Go to some sort of meeting (This is a free period for everyone in the law school.. as such guest lecturers and meetings always happen in this time. There's usually free pizza).

1400-1600 Class (3 days a week. If not then this probably takes up )

1600-1800 Library (Do some reading)

1800- Play intramurals, play pub trivia, go to a Denning, moot, etc. Most of your school work can get done throughout the day if you're diligent.

• BrokenWindow, InsertPseudonymHere, hopefulfamilylaw and 9 others like this

#9 BrokenWindow

BrokenWindow
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

^ foosball is too accurate  :lol:

Would you be able to describe what your day-to-day is?
[...]

Hey there, I'm also in 1L and some of us still haven't learned to adult / lead a routine life. So don't panic if you haven't either yet, but if you have, great.

I more or less survive on a day-by-day basis:

I basically wake up with enough time for breakfast and shower before my first class, work in my readings here and there, do chores and groceries when things get critical, and play intramurals and go to Dennings. I also volunteer with CLS and lately I've even attempted to go to the gym a few times.

The only routine I have these days are the 3AM fantasy hockey free agent pickups - WHAT UP @BENSCHNELL?!

All that to say hi to my small group buddy @benschnell and that there are probably many different "schedules" (if you can call mine that) that works for different people. The chaos that is my life seems to be working out just fine for me in law school. Do what works best for you and you'll be fine wherever you go!

• InsertPseudonymHere, Mandalor and SpennySon like this

#10 SpennySon

SpennySon
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Listen to Ben. Ben knows best. 

• Jgweebz, BrokenWindow and Mandalor like this

#11 Mandalor

Mandalor
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for making this thread! I'm just wondering if there's a minimum squash serve speed required to attend Western.

Thanks in advance.

• BrokenWindow and SpennySon like this

#12 Gleeglob

Gleeglob
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

basically once ur in ur in. So I go to the majority of my classes, get notes from someone else, cram before exams, get a B-, and play videogames. im diamon in league of legends

• TheSman, 123tr, SpennySon and 1 other like this

#13 troyjasper

troyjasper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

What is the workload like at western? Thank you

The workload isn't crazy hard. It depends on which professors you get for your courses. Andrew Botterell teaches Criminal Law, frequently wins awards for being an awesome professor, and additionally has a PhD in philosophy and isn't afraid to assign up to 100 pages of his textbook for a class, usually averaging around 40-50, then in class you have really engaging discussions on the readings and hypothesizing new scenarios.

On the other hand, professors I don't have but hear about second hand, the readings are practically optional because they'll just read the important parts to you in class, or on the flipside, (and anyone will know who I'm talking about who's had this professor whose name I forget) you'll do the assigned readings, show up to class, and the professor will ask "any questions?" and if there are no questions, nothing will be said.

Every student will find their stride and figure out how much work is good for them. Some people do all the readings and don't do super well. Some people know how much they need to read personally and do very well.

EDIT: I guess a concrete answer is, I have class for approximately 16 hours a week and read for at least 16 hours a week. Not a lot of writing - without thinking about how many exactly, I'd say you have 8 or 9 major writing assignments throughout your first year. By the time you've done your fifth one you'll look back at how stupid you were when you wrote your first one.

Edited by troyjasper, 21 February 2016 - 11:48 PM.

• SpennySon likes this

#14 Beepboop777

Beepboop777
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hi @Steven22

I'm sure the workload at Western is similar to any other law school. Class in first year is 18hrs a week, and there's an online course that has an assignment here and there, but that's pretty minor. You're gonna have to read at least as many hours as you have class. There's one legal writing course which has a few assignments, but otherwise the courses are all 30%-70% midterm and final exam. Courses run the whole year.

Then you can add in whatever extracurriculars you want. There are intramurals, moots (these are mock-trials / oral advocacy competitions), student government, etc.

Let me know if you want details on anything else.

Hey! I've heard that at Windsor, some of the exams are open book. Is this the same at Western, or even standard at all Canadian law schools? Thanks!

#15 lambere

lambere
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hey! I've heard that at Windsor, some of the exams are open book. Is this the same at Western, or even standard at all Canadian law schools? Thanks!

I'd like to pick up on this theme. Are exams hand-written or typed? I ask b/c I'm a horrible typer - a skill I'd like to improve prior to Sept.

#16 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

I'd like to pick up on this theme. Are exams hand-written or typed? I ask b/c I'm a horrible typer - a skill I'd like to improve prior to Sept.

You have the option to either type or write by hand. There's always like one dude in the back of the room who you never see at any classes who writes by hand. I'd highly recommend typing; though, do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

#17 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

No, it's not the standard. Most of the exams at Western Law are open-book but there are a couple of professors who just insist on closed-book exams so be prepared for them. For reference, all of my exams in 1L were open-book but I have one in 2L that is closed-book (sad).

Edited by SpecterH, 22 February 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#18 troyjasper

troyjasper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

The school as a whole wants things to be generally uniform across all classes, so they want exams to be open book. Khimji (Property Law) told us he used to do closed book when he started here, until he realized he was the only one and does open book now. Sinel does closed book for Torts, and that's my only closed book in 1L. 

You can type or write by hand for exams. Literally no one in any of my exams wrote by hand, except one guy whose computer stopped working and he had to start over by hand thirty minutes in.

#19 Jgweebz

Jgweebz
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

It's a Group A invasion! Can I join?  :razz: 

Troy pretty much said it all. A) The workload isn't too crazy. B) Everyone's time commitment is different.

My experience thus far is that there is tons of time for a social life or work or gym etc. I went to every class, almost all Dennings, have a job, Gold II in League lol (Senpai above, teach me!), didn't do readings but still did pretty good in first semester. It all depends on you really. Everyone has their own method and what works for you might not work for others. 

#20 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

It's a Group A invasion! Can I join?  :razz: 

Troy pretty much said it all. A) The workload isn't too crazy. B) Everyone's time commitment is different.

My experience thus far is that there is tons of time for a social life or work or gym etc. I went to every class, almost all Dennings, have a job, Gold II in League lol (Senpai above, teach me!), didn't do readings but still did pretty good in first semester. It all depends on you really. Everyone has their own method and what works for you might not work for others. 

Dota > League.

I guess you won't learn that 'til 2L.

#21 bernard

bernard
  • Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:51 AM

Edited by bernard, 23 February 2016 - 05:10 AM.

#22 TheSman

TheSman
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

You guys are selling me so hard on Western...when should I start looking for a place? why does everywhere I look at start in May 1st? Can I find a place starting August or July at least? 

#23 SpecterH

SpecterH
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

You guys are selling me so hard on Western...when should I start looking for a place? why does everywhere I look at start in May 1st? Can I find a place starting August or July at least? 

May 1st merely aligns with the typical school year schedule but there are a number of apartment buildings that offer start dates throughout the summer (June, July, August). I can recommend that you inquire at the following buildings that typically house a lot of law students:

- 695 Richmond Street

- 675 Richmond Street

- 520 Talbot Street

- 205 Oxford Street E.

Good luck!

• TheSman and ivinadivina like this

#24 hmyo

hmyo
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Just reading through this thread, sounds like an exciting place to hang out! As kind of a sports junkie, I'm curious curious about the athletic facilities at Western.  How is the gym equipment? (I did my undergrad at UofT, and the gym equipment is more depressing than you'd expect)

Would you recommend taking notes in class by hand or is it worthwhile to invest in a laptop?

If I live near/on campus, would I need a car to get around to various events and/or happenings? 

Are there dress code requirements for some of the extracurricular events? (ie, should I pack a suit and stash that in my closet)

#25 123tr

123tr
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

do you run into many students admitted with sub 160 lsats?