Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

community involvement/local connections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Strictly80sJoel

Strictly80sJoel
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

How important is community involvement for getting accepted? I'm in my 3rd year now and I'm not involved in any clubs or anything and I haven't done any volunteering since high school. Just wondering if i have a competitive LSAT/GPA how much having no community involvement would hurt me on my application.

Also how important is having a connection to UNB? My dad is from Fredericton, he went to UNB in the 80s, as well as his two brothers and sisters. We live in Ontario now, he moved after he graduated, but the rest of the family is still in Fredericton. How big a deal is this for my application? 

Could either of these two things make or break me?

Edited by Strictly80sJoel, 08 January 2016 - 11:57 PM.

#2 Hegdis

Hegdis
  • Moderators
  • 6940 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

What are your stats? Impossible to predict chances without LSAT and GPA.

#3 Strictly80sJoel

Strictly80sJoel
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I don't know yet I'm only in my 3rd year of my undergrad and I haven't written the LSAT yet, I'm just say hypothetically assuming my stats end up being competitive how important are these other factors. 

#4 Hegdis

Hegdis
  • Moderators
  • 6940 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

According to this (warning: pdf), it's usually a GPA/LSAT calculation only. Your ECs only factor in if you are a borderline applicant (ie there are many applicants with similar stats all near the cutoff who apply in the same year).

So depending on what your GPA/LSAT is when you apply, the answer could be "not at all" or "very". That's why I asked.

Take a diagnostic LSAT. It will give you some valuable information to start with.

#5 FunnyLawName

FunnyLawName
  • Members
  • 554 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

If I remember correctly, the last ten or so spots in the class are evaluated very differently than the rest of the class. These spots take a look at profiles to get a better understanding of levels of Community involvement. So, like Hegdis said, huge difference depending on where you fall.

From a personal point of view, it never hurts to volunteer and get work experience. There are plenty of opportunities out there that shouldn't make it difficult to still do well in school.

That's the 'community involvement' part. Not sure about the NB connection aspect.

#6 LestatdeLioncourt

LestatdeLioncourt
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

If it makes you feel better... I'm from Ontario, I have zero volunteer experience, weak work experience, and I was accepted within a week of submitting my application.

As others have said, EC's are probably more for borderline applicants.

#7 Strictly80sJoel

Strictly80sJoel
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

thanks everybody

Lioncourt what were your stats?

#8 LestatdeLioncourt

LestatdeLioncourt
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:18 PM