Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Ask a current student...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Jethro

Jethro
  • Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

I'm interested in Manitoba as I have family there but I'm from Toronto. Does anyone know the difficulty in returning to Toronto to work after attending Manitoba for law? Is it safe to assume that almost all of the class is from either Manitoba or Western Canada?

There are people in my year who've been hired at firms in Ontario, both on and off Bay Street. If you want to go back, it can be done, but you will have to put in some effort sourcing jobs and networking out of province, which is not to be viewed lightly.

#27 2345434

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoreal forest

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

I'm interested in Manitoba as I have family there but I'm from Toronto. Does anyone know the difficulty in returning to Toronto to work after attending Manitoba for law? Is it safe to assume that almost all of the class is from either Manitoba or Western Canada?

I think it varies from year to year. I've heard that it's been as high as 50/50 in the past, but according to the dean this year's incoming class was 80% Manitoban. I have, however, met a couple people from Vancouver and one from Brampton. 

#28 Dinnora

Dinnora
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

I've been told by a few friends of mine who are recent U of M law grads that the Socratic method is no longer frequently employed, even in first year, and that classes consist mostly of lectures. To what extent is that actually the case?

There are sill some that use the Socratic method. Some will just ask questions to the class generally and anyone can anwsers. Some profs will lecture the whole time. It really depends on the profs. I have a mix of all the styles.

#29 Waitlistedbuthopeful

Waitlistedbuthopeful
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm sure this is somewhere in the threads but I've yet to find it with the search engine. Is working at all during 1L advised? I have a good job that is part time but I know the 1L marks are of utmost importance. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have been thinking of quiting because it is retail and would require weekend or evening work (both key study times).

Probably looks like i've already made my decision but i'm interested in a few opinions and experiences!

#30 Jethro

Jethro
  • Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

I'm sure this is somewhere in the threads but I've yet to find it with the search engine. Is working at all during 1L advised? I have a good job that is part time but I know the 1L marks are of utmost importance. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have been thinking of quiting because it is retail and would require weekend or evening work (both key study times).

Probably looks like i've already made my decision but i'm interested in a few opinions and experiences!

Depends on how much time you need to devote to studying. I worked through school, but limited it to once per week. I also didn't have much of a social life, but it comes down to prioritizing and sticking to your plan.

#31 Thatguy

Thatguy
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

I worked in first year, not a ton but 5-10 hours a week. There are going to be times when working won't be feasible, but at the same time your life will not, and cannot be law school 24/7. You need a break, and that break can be working retail while earning a little bit of cash. Sometimes the mindlessness of a part-time job is a welcome reprieve.

As for your statement that 1L marks are of utmost importance, I would push back a little bit on that. All law school grades are important, but I think 2L grades have a greater impact on your articling prospects. Thats not to say 1L grades don't matter, but working is far more difficult in second year so earning a little in first year can be quite helpful.

My advice would be to keep the job and see if you can handle both workloads. If not, you explain to your boss your situation and leave your job. If you can do both, great.

I just wouldn't leave a part-time job without knowing whether you can or cannot handle it.

• Waitlistedbuthopeful likes this

#32 mfb

mfb
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Okay I really want to start reading before school starts but realize there is no booklist available until we get our sections in August. Is there ANYTHING or any single textbook even that's used for every prof for a specific class?!

#33 Thatguy

Thatguy
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Okay I really want to start reading before school starts but realize there is no booklist available until we get our sections in August. Is there ANYTHING or any single textbook even that's used for every prof for a specific class?!

For the love of god don't.

Read for pleasure. Do not start reading for school.

Generally speaking reading at law school consists of reading cases, not textbooks. At this point reading cases will offer little benefit, and could actually make the fall tougher.

Go enjoy your summer. 

#34 Radche

Radche
  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I've been told that for those who INSIST on something, Getting to Maybe is okay filler before school starts.

#35 earthman

earthman
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

This year all three sections of Property are using Principles of Property of Law, 6th ed by Ziff, and all Constitutional Law sections are using Canadian Constitutional Law, 4th ed by Bakan. (And not to be that guy, but I am selling both.)

I would really recommend not reading anything law related before class starts. Don't burn yourself out on reading until at least December. 

#36 Thatguy

Thatguy
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

This year all three sections of Property are using Principles of Property of Law, 6th ed by Ziff, and all Constitutional Law sections are using Canadian Constitutional Law, 4th ed by Bakan. (And not to be that guy, but I am selling both.)

I would really recommend not reading anything law related before class starts. Don't burn yourself out on reading until at least December. 

Someone say my name?

Edited by Thatguy, 05 August 2016 - 01:56 PM.

• kses23 likes this

#37 earthman

earthman
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Someone say my name?

I had a feeling you'd catch that.

• Thatguy likes this

#38 seanconnery204

seanconnery204
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

I'm looking to purchase some first year textbooks. Looking for:

- Law of Contracts (Mccamus 2nd ed)
- Law of Contracts (waddams 6th Ed)
-Criminal Law and Procedure (Roach 11th Ed)
-Law of Torts (Osborne 5th Ed)
-Introduction to the Study of Law (Waddams 8th Ed)
-Canadian guide to uniform legal citation (McGill 8th ed)
-comp guide to legal research (McCarney 2nd Ed)

If you are looking to sell any of these textbooks please message me. Will come to you!

#39 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

Does Manitoba Law take entire CGPA? How does this work? And what does everyone in the accepted threads mean by "Drops"?

Thank you for clarifying.

#40 lookingaround

lookingaround
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:14 AM

http://law.robsonhal...pa-calculation/

#41 CrimNation

CrimNation
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

So they just take your highest grades based on the amount of credits you have completed?

#42 2L4life

2L4life
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Found this on a discussion board on this site  :http://lawstudents.c...an-law-schools/

University of Manitoba Faculty of Law (Cumulative GPA with drops)
GPA Calculation: All graded university degree level credit hours are used. The calculation is adjusted (if applicable) based on the table below:
Number of Applications Number of Credit Hours Completed     Number of Worst Credit Hours Dropped
90 to 101     18
102 to 113     24
114 or more     30