Thatguy

Ask a current student...

4 hours ago, Igni said:

Many students do finish their degrees, though it doesn't make much of a difference whether you do so or not since undergrad is undergrad and not an indicator of law school performance. Average age is often stated to be 25-26, but most people fall within the 21-24 age range for 1Ls due to mature students increasing that number.

Will an undergrad influence what opportunities are open to me though? Like what summer jobs I could get and such. 

14 hours ago, IJustWannaGraduate said:

Will an undergrad influence what opportunities are open to me though? Like what summer jobs I could get and such. 

No

4 hours ago, IJustWannaGraduate said:

If I ever have trouble during first year, what resources do I have? If I need help for a paper, for example. 

Profs office hours. 2Ls and 3Ls were always helpful when I was there. The librarians are excellent, also.

7 hours ago, Jethro said:

Profs office hours. 2Ls and 3Ls were always helpful when I was there. The librarians are excellent, also.

Don't forget the janitorial and maintenance staff. They're quick with helpful tips. 

Do you have to provide reference letters if you are an Index Score applicant? 

The website says:

"Three letters of reference are required for all applicants in the Individual Consideration and Canadian Indigenous Categories. The Transfer Category requires two (2) recommendation letters."

This policy has not been changed right?

10 hours ago, CrimNation said:

Do you have to provide reference letters if you are an Index Score applicant? 

The website says:

"Three letters of reference are required for all applicants in the Individual Consideration and Canadian Indigenous Categories. The Transfer Category requires two (2) recommendation letters."

This policy has not been changed right?

Correct. Index applicants don't need letters or a personal statement. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So I know that the law industry is quite conservative and traditional, but how is Robson Hall? More specifically, are tattoos still heavily frowned upon or is having a small tattoo here or there (ie wrist, arm, etc.) acceptable by profs and the Winnipeg law community? Question also applies to “trendy” coloured hair.  

Asking for a friend.....? Lol

Edited by JDfuture

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JDfuture said:

So I know that the law industry is quite conservative and traditional, but how is Robson Hall? More specifically, are tattoos still heavily frowned upon or is having a small tattoo here or there (ie wrist, arm, etc.) acceptable by profs and the Winnipeg law community? Question also applies to “trendy” coloured hair.  

Asking for a friend.....? Lol

Unless things have drastically changed in the last couple years, nobody at school cares what you look like.

Off the top of my head, I know at least one crim defence counsel who has full sleeves. Doesn't seem to hurt him. And I know a Crown who recently sported pink hair. That Darth Maul-style full-face tattoo might make job interviews interesting, though.

Edited by Jethro
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jethro said:

Unless things have drastically changed in the last couple years, nobody at school cares what you look like.

Off the top of my head, I know at least one crim defence counsel who has full sleeves. Doesn't seem to hurt him. And I know a Crown who recently sported pink hair. That Darth Maul-style full-face tattoo might make job interviews interesting, though.

That puts my mind at ease, thanks! Especially considering that I’m interested in going into crim too. Most of the stories/experiences I’ve heard about the industry are mostly from Toronto and GTA so I think things there tend to be a little more..intense. Glad to know that I can be myself and I won’t get judged for looking a little too hipster or alternative. ;) 

Edited by JDfuture

On 12/14/2017 at 5:19 PM, augustinus said:

Does the school advise a maximum number of hours for part time jobs if they don't discourage it? Thank you!

Late response here - nope. However, in 1L, your classes will run from around 9-3 or 4, and you'll need time to learn how to law school.

If you really want to do some part time, I suggest to leave it for the weekend.

(asked this in the course selection forum too but thought current students would be a better choice)

So a couple questions for courses...

To enrol.. I don't see an option to select a section (a01 a02 a03)... I just see the option to register for individual courses (do we just register all our courses in say section a01? Or do we first go ahead and select A01 and then choose our individual courses?)

And that leads to my next question, Are we supposed to enrol in all 7 Courses in our section? Because why bother making us enrol in each course one by one if we are taking all 7 courses listed in the section... why not just make us select our section and automatically get enrolled in each course affiliated with that section.. Am I missing something here?

Whatever the reason, a decision has been made by Robson that students self-enroll. With that decision made, it has to be done within the general enrollment system - which means selecting the individual courses. There's no ability in the system to just select 'section1' or 'section2' - you choose that yourself, then type in the numbers that relate to that section.

Systems and Methods are taught/split differently (Systems is lectures with everyone, Methods is... different - combination of your section/everyone/French), so everyone has the same numbers for those.

For the others (Const, Torts, Property, Contracts, Crim), you select eg 1,2,3,4,5 for section 1, 6,7,8,9,10, for section 2, 11,12,13,14,15 for section 3. Think of it as a really straightforward LSAT game: if Amy and John want section 1 and Matt wants not to be in the same section as Amy, A+J have to select 1-5, M can select either 6-10 or 11-15. Nobody can select anything else. (In reality the numbers are longer - but the point is you pick a block and stick to it, except for the two classes everyone does as a year group).

Sounds so counter intuitive...

Given the fact that they told us exactly which 7 courses we have to enrol in... we might as well just enrol in the section itself and not have to input each seperately.

It is what it is i guess

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2018 at 2:18 PM, 1122 said:

Sounds so counter intuitive...

Given the fact that they told us exactly which 7 courses we have to enrol in... we might as well just enrol in the section itself and not have to input each seperately.

It is what it is i guess

Some courses have a differing number of sections (prime example is Contracts unless they've increased it to 3 sections).

Also Aurora is somewhat prehistoric software and the university has a history of ignoring student proposals on how to improve it ("money could be spent better elsewhere"/"it's not really a major issue" they say) , so it is what it is.

Edited by Igni

On 8/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, Igni said:

Some courses have a differing number of sections (prime example is Contracts unless they've increased it to 3 sections).

Also Aurora is somewhat prehistoric software and the university has a history of ignoring student proposals on how to improve it ("money could be spent better elsewhere"/"it's not really a major issue" they say) , so it is what it is.

Last year, contracts was split into the A01-A03 sections.