Thatguy

Ask a current student...

74 posts in this topic

Incoming 2017-2018 first year students will apparently register for their own courses in August. I'm not sure if that means that we simply get to choose a section of the three, or if we can mix and match professors from the current sections. Either way, can anyone give insight on the following profs? Any info is much appreciated :)

Torts: Porcin, Irvine, Schulz
Constitutional: Craft, Whitecloud, Gunn
Contracts: Curran, Shariff
Crim: Milward, Khoday, Jochelson
Property: Irvine, Fainstein, Short
Legal Systems: Labman, Turnbull

The admin will register you--you won't have a chance to select your profs in first year.

PMd re: profs

21 minutes ago, rziegler said:

The admin will register you--you won't have a chance to select your profs in first year.

PMd re: profs

In a FAQ email from Marie on April 21:

"5: Do I register for courses? What is my schedule? Commencing in 2017-2018, First Year Law Students will register themselves for courses ... Registration for First Year students will be Tuesday August 1, 2017. More details/information to come!"

I'm sure that any other 0L who has paid their deposit can confirm that they received the same email and information.

3 minutes ago, ElevenUnderwood said:

In a FAQ email from Marie on April 21:

"5: Do I register for courses? What is my schedule? Commencing in 2017-2018, First Year Law Students will register themselves for courses ... Registration for First Year students will be Tuesday August 1, 2017. More details/information to come!"

I'm sure that any other 0L who has paid their deposit can confirm that they received the same email and information.

I believe you. That's brand new--questions about registration would be best directed at the admin in this instance.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:47 PM, ElevenUnderwood said:

Incoming 2017-2018 first year students will apparently register for their own courses in August. I'm not sure if that means that we simply get to choose a section of the three, or if we can mix and match professors from the current sections. Either way, can anyone give insight on the following profs? Any info is much appreciated

Torts: Porcin, Irvine, Schulz
Constitutional: Craft, Whitecloud, Gunn
Contracts: Curran, Shariff
Crim: Milward, Khoday, Jochelson
Property: Irvine, Fainstein, Short
Legal Systems: Labman, Turnbull

In case you actually get to choose, here's my two-cents worth:

Torts: Irvine or bust. Schulz is a far-off second choice, but avoid Porcin like the plague.
Constitutional: Had Gunn. Didn't like Gunn. Don't know many who did. Never had Craft or Whitecloud so can't speak to them.
Contracts: Heard good things about Shariff, but didn't actually take a class with either one.
Crim: Loved Khoday. Jochelson wasn't teaching while I was there. Milward will teach you nothing and put you to sleep not doing it.
Property: Irvine is awesome; I found Short hilarious (plus he teaches Trusts, which you have to take and he teaches them as one-after-another classes). Fainstein is knowledgeable, but horribly disorganized and it affects the class.
Legal Systems: doesn't matter; you'll sleep through it, learn nothing, and pass anyway.

2 people like this

You get to pick your own 1L profs now? Dang. Lucky! I mostly agree with Jethro, but I'll double down anyway:

Torts: Irvine is by far the way to go—most entertaining class I've had to date. I had Porcin for Copyright and actually liked her, but that's sort of her area, and I've heard she's a nightmare teaching anything else. Never had Schulz.
Constitutional: I also had Gunn and didn't care for her personality, though she definitely knows the material. I've heard Whitecloud's constitutional knowledge is a bit patchy, but I've never had her. Craft seems like a very nice person but I've never had her for anything either.
Contracts: I had Shariff for the last few months of my first year when my original prof had to take a leave. If that hadn't happened, I think my grade would have been much worse. She's a really good prof, and she takes the time to make sure everyone gets it. Really nice person, too. I've heard Curran is also good, but I've never had him for anything and I'd still aim for Shariff.
Crim: I didn't have Khoday for Crim, but I did have him for Admin in 2L. I like him, though he does expect a lot and marks pretty hard. Jochelson seems like he knows his shit, but I've never had him. Never had Milward either, but by reputation I'd avoid him.
Property: Aim for Short. I'm convinced he's the only one there who fully understands Property. He spends more time on real property (land) than personal property (other stuff), which is by far the harder area to get a grasp of. I haven't taken Trusts yet, but I've heard a lot of it is recap if you do Property with Short. He is a pretty tough marker, but he at least is able to answer any questions you have. Irvine would be my second choice, though I've heard he spends a lot of time on personal property, which is kind of unnecessary. I don't care for Fainstein much.
Legal Systems: It was a pass/fail rather than a graded course when I took it, but I had Turnbull and it was a breeze. Never had Labman, but she seems like a very good prof too.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

As the summer progresses my nerves are building regarding preparedness for 1L. Could a current student speak to the impact undergrad has on opportunities in first year, namely pro bono. I enjoy research and have been wanting to do volunteer work, particularly if its relevant to my studies, but I'm worried that if positions are allocated based on previous academic experience I will be discounted at face value. I truly believe that my previous experience is not indicative of my abilities, but it seems as though there is no time to prove oneself before positions go out. Also, I know someone else asked and didn't seem to get a response but, however pre-emptive, I was wondering if any grades are released before summer work deadlines (concerns about applying with undergrad info only). Any thoughts or advice, on either or both of these questions is appreciated. 

Edited by WinnipegBound

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, WinnipegBound said:

As the summer progresses my nerves are building regarding preparedness for 1L. Could a current student speak to the impact undergrad has on opportunities in first year, namely pro bono. I enjoy research and have been wanting to do volunteer work, particularly if its relevant to my studies, but I'm worried that if positions are allocated based on previous academic experience I will be discounted at face value. I truly believe that my previous experience is not indicative of my abilities, but it seems as though there is no time to prove oneself before positions go out. Also, I know someone else asked and didn't seem to get a response but, however pre-emptive, I was wondering if any grades are released before summer work deadlines (concerns about applying with undergrad info only). Any thoughts or advice, on either or both of these questions is appreciated. 

At least last year, Pro Bono Students Canada, which connects law students with law-related volunteer positions, asked for resumes and not transcripts. PBSC will accept applications sometime in September, I would guess. As for summer work, you can use your midterm law grades and/or your undergrad grades depending on the position you are applying for. Most summer job posts I have seen wanted something academic on which to base their decision in addition to your resume. Keep in mind that will you be competing with all of the interested 2Ls for summer work. So, if you don't get a law-related summer job in 1L, well, most of us don't. Finally, non-law-related volunteer opportunities abound at Robson Hall, and across campus and in the city. Once the school year commences, there will be a stream of email updates on this kind of stuff--you certainly won't be left in the dark. For now, just chill. 

Edited by rziegler

I'm wondering how the opportunities are outside of the province after graduation. I'm from BC and would really want a change of environment so I'm applying to schools outside of the province, but I still want the option of coming back for articling after graduation. 

Posted (edited)

Professor hasn't been assigned yet or they might combine A01/A02 into a single Torts section.

Edited by rawrblam

Maybe this is a silly question, and I did check the website, but can any upper years students advise if it is a bad idea to go on a trip from Aug 2nd -Aug 31st. It seems August 1st  (1st year registration) and September 5th (welcome week start) are the important dates, but perhaps I've overlooked something? I just want to be sure before I book it. I will arrange getting my student card and books prior to my departure date. 

12 hours ago, caroline0404 said:

Maybe this is a silly question, and I did check the website, but can any upper years students advise if it is a bad idea to go on a trip from Aug 2nd -Aug 31st. It seems August 1st  (1st year registration) and September 5th (welcome week start) are the important dates, but perhaps I've overlooked something? I just want to be sure before I book it. I will arrange getting my student card and books prior to my departure date. 

My personal two cents on the matter, hinges on you registering for classes on Aug 1st, and is as follows. if you are a MB resident with a resolved housing situation than I do not see why you should forego the trip. Student and transit cards can be issued on or after Aug 31st, and book sales do not start until Sept. 5th.

2 hours ago, Dren41 said:

My personal two cents on the matter, hinges on you registering for classes on Aug 1st, and is as follows. if you are a MB resident with a resolved housing situation than I do not see why you should forego the trip. Student and transit cards can be issued on or after Aug 31st, and book sales do not start until Sept. 5th.

Yeah, pretty much this. Not a bad idea to go on a trip during the listed dates. However, I would add that the first month of law school is a very very busy time for most people. It will be in your best interest to accomplish any personal or day-to-day tasks in advance because you likely will really really really not want to once school begins.  Need to see the dentist? Get that check-up now. Need that oil changed? Get it done. Really, anything you are putting off, get it done over the summer because, again, you will really not want it on your mind once everything gets going.