Thatguy

Ask a current student...

65 posts in this topic

@Jethro - not every student is interested in visiting a country that oppresses the very people the Israelis stole the land from. Long live Palestine!

Not every student is interested in taking Wills, Law and Resistance, or any of the other elective courses offered. Doesn't change the fact that it is a viable option for some.

@that guy. This is on topic as Jethro recommended the trip. Presume you & Jethro "bonded" on this 1L trip :mad2:

You presume incorrectly. Not only do I not know Thatguy, I didn't participate in the Israel program. Also, the existence of the trip as a travel opportunity is on-topic. Your political opinions, on the other hand, are entirely irrelevant to this discussion. Let's focus on being useful for the incoming students without digressing into an age-old shouting match about the relative merits of Israel/Palestine, shall we?

Edit to add: I should say that I don't know that I know Thatguy; for all we know we've taken classes together. But I haven't made an IRL connection to anyone on this board.

Edited by Jethro
1 person likes this

2L and 3L students..are you interested in selling your books?  the following is my first year schedule.  Please message me if so.

Course Code: LAW 1540

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: LUGTIG, SARAH SECTION: A01

TITLE: COMP GUIDE TO LEGAL RESEARCH AUTHOR: MCCARNEY

EDITION: 2013 ISBN: 9781552396520 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

• PROFESSOR: LUGTIG, SARAH SECTION: A01

TITLE: CDN GUIDE TO UNIFORM LEGAL CITATION AUTHOR: MCGILL LAW JOUR

EDITION: 8TH ISBN: 9780779860753 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1500

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: SHORT, DONN SECTION: A03

TITLE: PRINCIPLES OF PROPERTY LAW AUTHOR: ZIFF

EDITION: 6TH ISBN: 9780779863471 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1460

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: GUNN, BRENDA SECTION: A03

TITLE: CANADIAN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW W/CODE AUTHOR: BAKAN

EDITION: 4TH ISBN: 9781552393321 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1140

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: DEUTSCHER, DAVID SECTION: A03

TITLE: 2016 MARTIN'S POCKET CRIMINAL CODE AUTHOR: GREENSPAN

EDITION: 2016 ISBN: 9780888047403 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

• PROFESSOR: DEUTSCHER, DAVID SECTION: A03

TITLE: LEARNING CANADIAN CRIMINAL LAW AUTHOR: STUART

EDITION: 13TH 15 ISBN: 9780779864430 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1480

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: IRVINE, JOHN SECTION: A03

TITLE: LAW OF TORTS AUTHOR: OSBORNE

EDITION: 5TH 15 ISBN: 9781552214008 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1100

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: MACPHERSON, DARCY SECTION: A03

TITLE: CONTRACTS VOLUME 1 AUTHOR: LAW 1100

EDITION: F16 ISBN: 9780100018716 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

• PROFESSOR: MACPHERSON, DARCY SECTION: A03

TITLE: CONTRACTS VOLUME 2 AUTHOR: LAW 1100

EDITION: F16 ISBN: 9780100018730 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

Course Code: LAW 1530

Course Name:

• PROFESSOR: TURNBULL, LORNA SECTION: A02

TITLE: INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF LAW AUTHOR: WADDAMS

EDITION: 7TH 10 ISBN: 9780779829064 REQUIRED/OPTIONAL: RQ

I'm not sure if you've purchased books or not, but just in case I thought I'd chip in bit. Re: criminal law, your listed prof, Professor Deutscher, will not be teaching this year. Not sure who will be taking his place, but he is the only person I've ever heard of who requires students to buy an annotated Criminal Code. I strongly suggest anyone in this section wait until class starts to see what books will actually be required.

2 people like this

I'm not sure if you've purchased books or not, but just in case I thought I'd chip in bit. Re: criminal law, your listed prof, Professor Deutscher, will not be teaching this year. Not sure who will be taking his place, but he is the only person I've ever heard of who requires students to buy an annotated Criminal Code. I strongly suggest anyone in this section wait until class starts to see what books will actually be required.

thanks for the update!

Also going into 3L. Also happy to answer questions.

Also did the Israel trip. It's a great experience. I spent time after the trip travelling in the West Bank (East Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Hebron). If you intend to understand the region, a full boycott will make it pretty hard to understand the complete situation. The educational content you get at HUJI is also quite good because it's mostly academics and government types that are faithfully seeking solutions. I was ready for propaganda but it was thankfully quite balanced.

I'm interested in Manitoba as I have family there but I'm from Toronto. Does anyone know the difficulty in returning to Toronto to work after attending Manitoba for law? Is it safe to assume that almost all of the class is from either Manitoba or Western Canada?

I'm interested in Manitoba as I have family there but I'm from Toronto. Does anyone know the difficulty in returning to Toronto to work after attending Manitoba for law? Is it safe to assume that almost all of the class is from either Manitoba or Western Canada?

There are people in my year who've been hired at firms in Ontario, both on and off Bay Street. If you want to go back, it can be done, but you will have to put in some effort sourcing jobs and networking out of province, which is not to be viewed lightly.

I think it varies from year to year. I've heard that it's been as high as 50/50 in the past, but according to the dean this year's incoming class was 80% Manitoban. I have, however, met a couple people from Vancouver and one from Brampton. 

I've been told by a few friends of mine who are recent U of M law grads that the Socratic method is no longer frequently employed, even in first year, and that classes consist mostly of lectures. To what extent is that actually the case?

There are sill some that use the Socratic method. Some will just ask questions to the class generally and anyone can anwsers. Some profs will lecture the whole time. It really depends on the profs. I have a mix of all the styles.

I'm sure this is somewhere in the threads but I've yet to find it with the search engine. Is working at all during 1L advised? I have a good job that is part time but I know the 1L marks are of utmost importance. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have been thinking of quiting because it is retail and would require weekend or evening work (both key study times).

Probably looks like i've already made my decision but i'm interested in a few opinions and experiences!

I'm sure this is somewhere in the threads but I've yet to find it with the search engine. Is working at all during 1L advised? I have a good job that is part time but I know the 1L marks are of utmost importance. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have been thinking of quiting because it is retail and would require weekend or evening work (both key study times).

Probably looks like i've already made my decision but i'm interested in a few opinions and experiences!

Depends on how much time you need to devote to studying. I worked through school, but limited it to once per week. I also didn't have much of a social life, but it comes down to prioritizing and sticking to your plan.

I worked in first year, not a ton but 5-10 hours a week. There are going to be times when working won't be feasible, but at the same time your life will not, and cannot be law school 24/7. You need a break, and that break can be working retail while earning a little bit of cash. Sometimes the mindlessness of a part-time job is a welcome reprieve.

As for your statement that 1L marks are of utmost importance, I would push back a little bit on that. All law school grades are important, but I think 2L grades have a greater impact on your articling prospects. Thats not to say 1L grades don't matter, but working is far more difficult in second year so earning a little in first year can be quite helpful.

My advice would be to keep the job and see if you can handle both workloads. If not, you explain to your boss your situation and leave your job. If you can do both, great.

I just wouldn't leave a part-time job without knowing whether you can or cannot handle it.

1 person likes this

Okay I really want to start reading before school starts but realize there is no booklist available until we get our sections in August. Is there ANYTHING or any single textbook even that's used for every prof for a specific class?!

Okay I really want to start reading before school starts but realize there is no booklist available until we get our sections in August. Is there ANYTHING or any single textbook even that's used for every prof for a specific class?!

For the love of god don't.

Read for pleasure. Do not start reading for school.

Generally speaking reading at law school consists of reading cases, not textbooks. At this point reading cases will offer little benefit, and could actually make the fall tougher.

Go enjoy your summer. 

I've been told that for those who INSIST on something, Getting to Maybe is okay filler before school starts.

This year all three sections of Property are using Principles of Property of Law, 6th ed by Ziff, and all Constitutional Law sections are using Canadian Constitutional Law, 4th ed by Bakan. (And not to be that guy, but I am selling both.)

I would really recommend not reading anything law related before class starts. Don't burn yourself out on reading until at least December. 

This year all three sections of Property are using Principles of Property of Law, 6th ed by Ziff, and all Constitutional Law sections are using Canadian Constitutional Law, 4th ed by Bakan. (And not to be that guy, but I am selling both.)

I would really recommend not reading anything law related before class starts. Don't burn yourself out on reading until at least December. 

Someone say my name?

Edited by Thatguy
2 people like this

I'm looking to purchase some first year textbooks. Looking for:

- Law of Contracts (Mccamus 2nd ed)

- Law of Contracts (waddams 6th Ed)

-Criminal Law and Procedure (Roach 11th Ed)

-Law of Torts (Osborne 5th Ed)

-Introduction to the Study of Law (Waddams 8th Ed)

-Canadian guide to uniform legal citation (McGill 8th ed)

-comp guide to legal research (McCarney 2nd Ed)

If you are looking to sell any of these textbooks please message me. Will come to you!

Does Manitoba Law take entire CGPA? How does this work? And what does everyone in the accepted threads mean by "Drops"?

Thank you for clarifying.