PerniciousLaw

October 2015 LSAT Study Thread

Registered for the October write...going into my third year. I'm self-studying and the only books I've purchased are the 3 Powerscore bibles. I think in about one or two weeks time I will have gone through them entirely. Any suggestions for what to do next? Should I go straight to practice tests (old/untimed) or should I purchase another book to help drill?

You're probably going to want to drill question types after you go through the books. It's generally recommended you drill the lower PTs. Keep in mind it might be more effective to do timed RC sections instead of drilling the different topics.

You should then do full length and timed PTs. Do your best to replicate testing conditions (i.e break after the third section, wear the watch you'll be wearing on test day, etc.). And of course, save the newer PTs for the full length tests.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh you guys it's been 3 weeks and I'm only half done the PS LG bible. I'm just having such a hard time focusing on it, I feel like I need to do more application of what I'm learning and less reading. Is it too early to do my second timed test?

Oh my gosh you guys it's been 3 weeks and I'm only half done the PS LG bible. I'm just having such a hard time focusing on it, I feel like I need to do more application of what I'm learning and less reading. Is it too early to do my second timed test?

don't waste tests, never know when you might need a fresh one

Yeah, don't use a full test. You should instead buy packets and drill whatever game type you're learning from the book.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Were you planning on using 1-38 for full tests?

Sorry, I guess my reply wasn't super clear. I guess I'm just trying to figure out the best way to practice logic games, and I've seen a lot of recommendations on here for the Cambridge packet I linked above. And then later on in my studying, I was planning on using the more recent PTs for full tests.

I'll explain what I believe to be are both effective structure plans. And I'll indicate which plan I'm using. 

1) You can buy the 1-38 LG packet and drill those question types. Upon completion, you can practice timed, 35 minute, sections, starting at 39, and finishing at 55. I wouldn't go higher than 55 since you should preserve those tests for full length PTs. 

2) This is what I'm doing. I bought LG packets for 21-50 and am drilling those. I'm drilling half of each question type un-timed and the other half timed. Upon completion of this, I'll be moving down to PT 1, and going to 20, while timing individual games. After, I'll use 51-55 for timed, 35 minute, sections. Similarly to #1, I won't touch 55 and up because those PTs should be preserved for full length PTs (and be sure to simulate the conditions to as close to practical as you can). 

Side note - keep in mind it's really important to print out games that gave you difficulty. You can print out about 3 copies or so and distribute them across the week (do one copy the next day, the second copy in 5 days, and the third copy in 10 days). 

I'll explain what I believe to be are both effective structure plans. And I'll indicate which plan I'm using. 

1) You can buy the 1-38 LG packet and drill those question types. Upon completion, you can practice timed, 35 minute, sections, starting at 39, and finishing at 55. I wouldn't go higher than 55 since you should preserve those tests for full length PTs. 

2) This is what I'm doing. I bought LG packets for 21-50 and am drilling those. I'm drilling half of each question type un-timed and the other half timed. Upon completion of this, I'll be moving down to PT 1, and going to 20, while timing individual games. After, I'll use 51-55 for timed, 35 minute, sections. Similarly to #1, I won't touch 55 and up because those PTs should be preserved for full length PTs (and be sure to simulate the conditions to as close to practical as you can). 

Side note - keep in mind it's really important to print out games that gave you difficulty. You can print out about 3 copies or so and distribute them across the week (do one copy the next day, the second copy in 5 days, and the third copy in 10 days). 

Ok sweet, I was planning on adopting a similar strategy so this helps. Thank you!

Last question for a while... but since Cambridge LG drill packets are presented in order of difficulty, how long should each question take? I'm not going to be timing right away, but if I were to follow the advice below then I would need to know which ones are considered "easy" and which ones are considered "hard." Do the packets have any indicators?

Cambridge Logic Games Packets - I didn't actually use any books from here on out. I started drilling the packets and using 7sage.com video explanations to teach me how to improve and where I messed up. I was getting an average of -1 per game (meaning some were -0 and some were a horrid -3/-4). I also started timing myself, but not by countdown. Instead, I would use a count-up timer (you can find websites that do this easily), and write down how long it took me to do each question. I was averaging around 8 minutes for easy questions and 12 minutes for hard questions. Anything I didn't do "perfectly" (-0 and within the expected time: 6 minutes for easy ones and 10 minutes for hard ones), I would print three copies of that particular game (expect this to be 90% of the games at first). 

(http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225041)

Last question for a while... but since Cambridge LG drill packets are presented in order of difficulty, how long should each question take? I'm not going to be timing right away, but if I were to follow the advice below then I would need to know which ones are considered "easy" and which ones are considered "hard." Do the packets have any indicators?

Cambridge Logic Games Packets - I didn't actually use any books from here on out. I started drilling the packets and using 7sage.com video explanations to teach me how to improve and where I messed up. I was getting an average of -1 per game (meaning some were -0 and some were a horrid -3/-4). I also started timing myself, but not by countdown. Instead, I would use a count-up timer (you can find websites that do this easily), and write down how long it took me to do each question. I was averaging around 8 minutes for easy questions and 12 minutes for hard questions. Anything I didn't do "perfectly" (-0 and within the expected time: 6 minutes for easy ones and 10 minutes for hard ones), I would print three copies of that particular game (expect this to be 90% of the games at first).

No, there are no indications on the packets themselves. But the 7sage video explanations rate the difficulty of the game.

Edit: The home page displaying all the different games rates the difficult of each game section. If you load the video, however, Jay (I think that's his name), usually tells you how long the game should take you along with the general difficulty. Although I think there are some explanations where he fails to do so.

Edited by PerniciousLaw

No, there are no indications on the packets themselves. But the 7sage video explanations rate the difficulty of the game.

Edit: The home page displaying all the different games rates the difficult of each game section. If you load the video, however, Jay (I think that's his name), usually tells you how long the game should take you along with the general difficulty. Although I think there are some explanations where he fails to do so.

Thank you! Glad someone is so knowledgeable :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but if you're ever having problems with a specific question, Manhattan has a great online forum where their instructors have posted detailed explanations for almost every published LSAT question. I've found them to be pretty helpful whenever I'm stuck on a particular question. 

Has anybody heard of any free or even paid practice proctored LSATs in toronto/mississauga area? 

Has anybody heard of any free or even paid practice proctored LSATs in toronto/mississauga area? 

I'm looking for something similar in the Halifax area

It's actually indicated on the answer key by level :)

Cambridge Logic Games Packets - I didn't actually use any books from here on out. I started drilling the packets and using 7sage.com video explanations to teach me how to improve and where I messed up. I was getting an average of -1 per game (meaning some were -0 and some were a horrid -3/-4). I also started timing myself, but not by countdown. Instead, I would use a count-up timer (you can find websites that do this easily), and write down how long it took me to do each question. I was averaging around 8 minutes for easy questions and 12 minutes for hard questions. Anything I didn't do "perfectly" (-0 and within the expected time: 6 minutes for easy ones and 10 minutes for hard ones), I would print three copies of that particular game (expect this to be 90% of the games at first).

Edited by sweetgal126
  • Like 1

It's actually indicated on the answer key by level :)

haha! I actually noticed that the other day when I started using the packet and was silently ashamed of myself for not checking!

Oops. I stand corrected.

I haven't even used the answer key for the LG packets to be honest. I just check my answers against the 7Sage explanations. That's probably why I didn't notice.

Edited by PerniciousLaw

hi all! new to the board. but have been studying for the past two months. however I do start working full time soon. so I was thinking of pushing my LSAT to December. Do schools care if you write in Oct/Dec?. If so... I'll just have to keep grueling through this! thanks guys:)

Hi All!

I am signing up to write in December 2015! Hopefully I can come on board. I am also wondering if anyone is willing to get together to write timed tests and drill sections together in the GTA and Hamilton area. Let me know if anyone is interested!

:)