StudentLife

U of A versus Dalhousie (Schulich)

No, Calgary firms definitely care about ties. It's Vancouver and Toronto that don't as much. Multiple firms grilled applicants on this from Alberta schools even.

That's what I was getting at though, if you are thinking of two markets its way easier to come back home than move somewhere new.

Again, ties make it easier everywhere. My understanding is that the big markets (Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver) are more relaxed about it, but I'm not saying they don't care. I have a number of friends not from Calgary that are heading there for articles. I can't think of anyone with no ties to the maritimes that will be articling here (although that may change before graduation). I think it's fairly safe to say Calgary will be a bit more foregiving of weak ties than smaller markets. It's no secret that a lot of people want to move there, and many of the firms there are big enough to take chances on some "flight-risk" applicants.

Regardless, as you said, it's definitely easier to break into a job market where you have ties.

Edited by xyz

If you the type of person who enjoys going out and doesn't want to be in some hyper competitive gunner shithole, you will like U of A. The partying atmosphere can annoy some people too. 

If you are the type of person who enjoys going out and doesn't want to be in some hyper competitive gunner shithole, you will also like Dalhousie. There is a healthy mix of partying types and heavyduty studying types. 

Other than community and ties, have you considered other aspects of the school? Extracurricular opportunities, facilities management, the demographics and stats of the professors, and as mentioned elsewhere, the political tenor of the place? 

These are things I wish I had considered more closely. Not that I'm unhappy with choosing Dalhousie -- on the contrary -- but I would have liked to know more in the research phase. Mea culpa. 

I'm from Vancouver and want to practice here after law school. Debating between U of A and Dalhousie. Does it really matter where I go? Would the experiences be vastly different at either school? Would obtaining a job after school be harder if I went to Dalhousie instead of U of A or vice versa?

Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

I'm from Vancouver and want to practice here after law school. Debating between U of A and Dalhousie. Does it really matter where I go? Would the experiences be vastly different at either school? Would obtaining a job after school be harder if I went to Dalhousie instead of U of A or vice versa?

Thanks! 

I'm not in your position, but I've read enough responses on this board over the last couple of years to chime in. Someone with more direct experience feel free to correct me.

They're both similar in 'reputation' and quality. Your experience will be what you make of it. It looks like both schools have a lot of younger students that like to party and go out a lot, while also having a healthy number that don't. I know from researching UofA, there are tons of EC opportunities and things to do, so I'm positive you'll find your group of people that you mesh with. 

Someone else mentioned there isn't a big difference if you're trying to go back to Vancouver, but just from a practical standpoint, the distance between Alberta and BC will make it more convenient for you to attend networking events/interviews. You're also closer to home if an emergency or urgent matter comes up, requiring you to head back to BC. 

Edited by GameTime180
  • Like 3

Thanks! 

They're both good schools, both will give you options. Neither gives you a BC advantage in BC jobs.

Alberta's easier to get back home, for sure. Halifax will give you a more home-like experience, with an ocean, and non-prairie winters. Rather depends what you're prioritising.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks! 

I'd say go to U of A if you want to practice in Vancouver. I don't know the exact numbers but I think its something like 15% of U of A grads are from Vancouver and many seem to find articles in Vancouver.

Edit: Also it will be easier on the wallet.

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 2

I'd say go to U of A if you want to practice in Vancouver. I don't know the exact numbers but I think its something like 15% of U of A grads are from Vancouver and many seem to find articles in Vancouver.

Edit: Also it will be easier on the wallet.

I think more than 15% of Dal grads are from Van, probably around 20

I'm in the same boat right now. I want to end up back in Alberta. I'm interested in Dal's tech and IP law classes. U of A would be cheaper and more convenient, but I will be taking out a loan no matter what. Cons about the schools are that I have heard that Dal's CDO sucks and it was hard to register for the classes you actually want at U of A this year.

What do y'all think?

Posted (edited)

I'm in the same boat right now. I want to end up back in Alberta. I'm interested in Dal's tech and IP law classes. U of A would be cheaper and more convenient, but I will be taking out a loan no matter what. Cons about the schools are that I have heard that Dal's CDO sucks and it was hard to register for the classes you actually want at U of A this year.

What do y'all think?

If you want to end up working in Alberta there's nothing to think about here. Go to the UofA, have access to a large number of Alberta firms and ability to network as much as you want at a low cost. Go to Dal if you want a harder time finding a position in Alberta, while having to pay more in tuition.

UofA for the win in your case. 

Edited by GameTime180
  • Like 1

There seems to be a lot of questions about whether Dal is better than [insert name of local school or school in adjacent province where the poster wants to work] for getting jobs.

I'm a Dal grad and have many friends go to Van, Edmonton, Calgary, up North (a surprising number, actually), TO, and of course Atlantic Canada (with the odd one or two in Montreal, NY, Paris, London, etc.)

Dal is a decent option for finding work pretty much everywhere in Canada, alumni are everywhere and it's got a good reputation as a law school. However, I don't believe it will ever be a better choice than the local school for a local market.

With very few exceptions (I'm thinking about the very new schools), unless Dal is offering a full scholarship/less debt, if you want to work in province X, then go to law school in province X.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

What do y'all think?

1L at Dal who had the same choice last year. I think the CDO reputation at Dal is a few years old - they have a number of new people (and a new office) this year, and from my experience they have been awesome (if anything they are actually organizing too many events/workshops). Obviously yes, you are not in Alberta and that can hamper some networking opportunities and be an added cost for travel, but all of the big firms come here for OCI's in 2L, and a number sent people out for the career fair back in January.

Dal does really well in Calgary in particular - and as mentioned, the strong alumni network is a real asset. I took part in 1L recruit in February, and every interview started w/ discussion about how awesome Dal/Halifax is - its a real ice breaker. On top of that, Dal has a much less competitive vibe because you aren't competing w/ basically all of your class - there are maybe 30-40 people in 1L from out West, and maybe only 15-20 looking to end up in Calgary/Edmonton. Contrast this to U of A or U of C, where basically everyone is looking to remain in those markets.

Outside of that, if you are from western Canada and confident in your abilities, I think it is definitely worth experiencing a different city and part of the country for a few years. All things equal, then yes, the obvious advice is to study where you want to work - but by no means is choosing to study elsewhere for a few years fatal, and in my experience, its been incredibly valuable. 

Edited by Himalaya
  • Like 3

Since Dal offers a specialization in Business Law, and that is the type of law I would like to practice, would it give me an advantage for getting a job afterwards than going to U of A, which does not offer that specialization?

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, tssb94 said:

Since Dal offers a specialization in Business Law, and that is the type of law I would like to practice, would it give me an advantage for getting a job afterwards than going to U of A, which does not offer that specialization?

No. Probably not. Good grades (from either school), connections to the city you want to work in, and good applications to large firms will help you much more than a specialization.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 2:38 PM, tssb94 said:

No.  It's very easy to "specialize" in business law by taking a lot of business-law type courses, without having the school have a formal specialization program.

• Like 1

I still haven't made a decision. but for some reason, Dal is attracting me towards it more than U of A is. But thanks for all the input!