Hegdis

Multiple Accounts: Sock Puppets Are Bad

It's something in the water. This week we've had half a dozen encounters with sock puppet accounts. It's a serious pain in the ass to the mods, and it's unfair to everyone else who contributes honestly to the community.

This week alone, we've had a rash of people who:

1. post under more than one name to manipulate threads to give the impression that their opinion is more supported than some one else's, or

2. flat out abuse other posters with a sock puppet while maintaining the sweet demeanour of their regular account, or 

3. get into arguments with themselves. Which is weird and weirds us out. Augh. So weird.

New Punishment for violating Rule #1: Have a sock puppet account? If we find out, you're getting a public shaming. We will post a full list of your common accounts so everyone can see for themselves and judge you accordingly. Keep in mind you lack the ability to delete your accounts or erase your post history after an hour. This revelation won't make you very popular on the forum, believe me. And registering yet another account to try and escape it probably won't work either - we can just add it to the list!

**If you already have another account, I strongly suggest you stop using it now and continue on only with the one account you wish to keep. You may avoid notice.

[Please note that in very, very rare circumstances we do allow multiple accounts. See this guy? He's doing it right and for the right reasons. We've had several posters notify us that they're registering a separate account because they want to answer a very specific, potentially identifying question - or to provide general information about a topic that if read in tandem with their post history would identify them. That's fine. We only ask that they flag it for us first.]

• Like 10

I think this is a great idea.

Just for the record, would there also be an exception for posters who wanted to create an anonymous account in order to post highly sensitive information that they wouldn't want associated with their regular account? I have noticed that some people have wanted to answer comprehensively yet remain totally anonymous when answering questions about dealing with, for instance, particular medical issues in law school and legal practice. That also strikes me as something posters might not want to share with mods, either.

• Like 2

Some people really need more to do with their time.

I actually find this problem somewhat odd in the context of a forum of law school applicants, law students and legal professionals - I would have guessed that most of us would value what free time we have enough to prevent this from being a problem. I guess that's not entirely the case.

• Like 3

I think this is a great idea.

Just for the record, would there also be an exception for posters who wanted to create an anonymous account in order to post highly sensitive information that they wouldn't want associated with their regular account? I have noticed that some people have wanted to answer comprehensively yet remain totally anonymous when answering questions about dealing with, for instance, particular medical issues in law school and legal practice. That also strikes me as something posters might not want to share with mods, either.

In the particular circumstance you describe, if such a thing came to our notice and it were the only use to which the alt account had been put, I think that would be fine.

Another option for posters wanting to share sensitive info has been contacting one mod they trust over PM with the content of the post. The mod then posts it on their behalf without identifying them to anyone else, including to the other mods.

• Like 1

I dont understand how people have enough time on their hands to make multiple fake accounts and post on this message board.....

• Like 1

In the particular circumstance you describe, if such a thing came to our notice and it were the only use to which the alt account had been put, I think that would be fine.

Another option for posters wanting to share sensitive info has been contacting one mod they trust over PM with the content of the post. The mod then posts it on their behalf without identifying them to anyone else, including to the other mods.

What about the anonymous feature that TLS uses? Would something like that be possible? Maybe make it only for the career/articling students threads. I know there have been some of questions/answers I've been wanting to give but I think I've already given away too much from other posts :P

The main problem I see is people abusing it and creating more work for you guys (who I know are already really busy!). 

What about the anonymous feature that TLS uses? Would something like that be possible? Maybe make it only for the career/articling students threads. I know there have been some of questions/answers I've been wanting to give but I think I've already given away too much from other posts :P

The main problem I see is people abusing it and creating more work for you guys (who I know are already really busy!). 

Yeah,  I've seen numerous instances of the anonymous feature on TLS being abused. The result is the same as Hegdis is proposing here: the anonymity is stripped and everyone gets to see what a jackass the person was.

I fully support this policy, but I'd add that it should be applied retroactively. No need to give the warning shot.

Yeah,  I've seen numerous instances of the anonymous feature on TLS being abused. The result is the same as Hegdis is proposing here: the anonymity is stripped and everyone gets to see what a jackass the person was.

I fully support this policy, but I'd add that it should be applied retroactively. No need to give the warning shot.

Although I spent most of my time in the LSAT section I never really found it. At times people were major dicks on it, but that's just TLS sometimes. Either way, you have a good point. 

I have to admit I'm pretty interested to see who was alting. 

Although I spent most of my time in the LSAT section I never really found it. At times people were major dicks on it, but that's just TLS sometimes. Either way, you have a good point. 

I have to admit I'm pretty interested to see who was alting. 

I wanna know who was picking a fight with themselves...cause that really is weird. 

• Like 8

I have no idea why people feel the need to create additional accounts to protect their reputation or create the impression of support. I'm a dick and everyone knows it. That IS my reputation. And people agree with me voluntarily, even when I'm full of shit.

• Like 6

If you think an individual's ideas are meritorious on the basis of the quantity of people supporting that idea, rather than the actual content of the idea, you might have a problem. 

• Like 2

1. post under more than one name to manipulate threads to give the impression that their opinion is more supported than some one else's, or

I used to do that when I was 12-14. I thought I was the only one who had such clever ideas...  :?:

Edited by faerieprincess

I find this policy highly discriminatory against people with multiple personalities.

Leafs_Law, you're full of shit, why can't all of the personalities just post from the same account?

Edited by leafs_law
  • Like 9

I find this policy highly discriminatory against people with multiple personalities.

Leafs_Law, you're full of shit, why can't all of the personalities just post from the same account?

Leafs_Law should strongly consider Leafs_Law's point. 

• Like 2

Perhaps the multiple personalities do not trust each other enough to share login/password information (not to mention the logistics of doing so).