Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Accepted 2015

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#51 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Feb 10-march 3

#52 skinnypeach

skinnypeach
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVan

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

Accepted on March 3rd via email.

158, L2: 3.82

#53 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

Congrats!! Did you accept?

#54 skinnypeach

skinnypeach
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVan

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

Congrats!! Did you accept?

Thank you :)

Yes I did accept. They only gave me 1 week from the date of my acceptance letter to confirm. I also have yet to hear from other schools I've applied to as well, so I'm sending in my deposit today. 

#55 Astra

Astra
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

I got accepted today via email.
LSAT 158
GPA 3.9

#56 CRKE

CRKE
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

I got accepted via email today as well. Application was complete as of Feb 19

LSAT: 156

cGPA: 3.7 (approx.)

L2: 3.8

Strong ECs and LORs (Government Co-op positions & lots of volunteer)

I will definitely be accepting!

#57 Plug102

Plug102
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Accepted today :) special consideration. Via email.

#58 granny

granny
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

has anyone been accepted into the Aboriginal category?  if yes, I would really appreciate knowing your stats (either by posting it or private messaging me).

thanks.

#59 hopefulapplicant2014

hopefulapplicant2014
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

In via email March 3. Application complete early December.

I am going to be a bit long winded here for the benefit of future applicants and to share some insights. I've been a lurker on this site for a number of years.

I was rejected from nearly every Canadian school 6 or 7 cycles ago (except TRU for obvious reasons). I made some cold calls to the schools and asked for feedback on my applications at that time. Some Admissions Officers were receptive to providing constructive criticism; others were not. The ones that did provide feedback dropped some very strong hints on how to improve my chances the next time that I applied.

Since I had exhausted my LSAT attempts, and did not want to complete a second undergraduate degree, I put Law on the back burner for a few years and focused on other things: travel, work, and also furthering my education. I completed a graduate Business degree (which was always a goal of mine anyway, and in a different field than my undergraduate degree).

About a year and a half ago, after some contemplation and encouragement from family, I decided to take another shot at Law, and studied extensively for the LSAT. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I just could not get my score up to the 160 range. I applied broadly anyway.

Late last year, I made the decision to go abroad for Law school had I not been successful in gaining admission during this cycle. My opinion on going abroad differs than most of what posters usually say about going abroad - but that's just my unqualified opinion.

In my personal statement I explained how my academic and professional experience will help me in Law school and beyond, and I also provided some limited supplementary documents. I applied under the Special Applicant category, mostly in the hope that the AdComm would look at my overall application and not just my relatively poor LSAT score and undergraduate grades from what feels like Ancient history.

LSAT: I wrote the LSAT multiple times, with a cancelled score on my first try many years ago; 154 is my best mark. I also hired tutors, took 2 courses, and spent hours in the library.

CGPA: around 3.0. My first and second years were spent learning how to adjust to the realities of University life, and consequently my grades were poor.

Last 90: About 3.4 GPA

Graduate degree: 3.8 GPA. Completing a Graduate degree instead of starting a second undergraduate degree was a risk. Posters on this forum often indicate that such a degree is considered a “soft” factor. Nonetheless, it may have counted for something (or may not have. LOL).

Work experience:

Retail throughout undergraduate;

Owned a small business;

Several government departments (everything from administrative roles to decision maker);

Small stint at a Not for Profit;

A few months for an insurance company.

In these roles, I spent several years working on many projects with people from different walks of life - recent immigrants, refugees, youth at risk, socially isolated Seniors, Aboriginal people, business leaders, etc.

References: Graduate Professors and current Employer.

Other Extra Curricular Activities: Sports while growing up. Not much in respect to formal volunteering, but most of my recent work experience led to working alongside or directly with Not for Profit groups.

My point in this post is: Do not ever be discouraged by rejection. Sometimes the path to one's goal is meandering. Stop, breathe, reassess, and push forward. Keep fighting and working hard.

Now the real work begins (well, in September).

Love this post! Thank you so much for the encouragement :). Congratulations and I wish you success in your law future!

• MissLawyer604 likes this

#60 hopefulapplicant2014

hopefulapplicant2014
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

Accepted today :) special consideration. Via email.

Hi Plug102,

Do you mind sharing your stats? I applied in this category as well.

Thanks!

#61 HAnne10

HAnne10
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

Accepted March 3rd via e-mail. L2 3.55. 159 LSAT

#62 Plug102

Plug102
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

Declined my offer today for UVIC. Best of luck everyone. 

#63 eraven

eraven
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

A reminder to those of you who were recently accepted, here is the 2018 class Facebook page! Questions answered by 2Ls and 3Ls and info on upcoming summer events!

https://www.facebook...00123203417088/

• Bearbait likes this

#64 bcboymtlman

bcboymtlman
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Accepted, 163, 2.26 cpga, ~3.38 L60

Just realized that I had a typo here. My CGPA wasn't 2.26, but rather 3.26

Edited by bcboymtlman, 20 March 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#65 aragon416

aragon416
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

when will we be receiving our mytru login info?

#66 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

when will we be receiving our mytru login info?

If I remember correctly, after you make the first tuition deposit.

Congratualtions to all those that have been accepted. 

#67 aragon416

aragon416
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

If I remember correctly, after you make the first tuition deposit.

Congratualtions to all those that have been accepted. 

does first tuition deposit refer to the $200 non-refundable deposit that you have to mail in within two weeks of receiving your offer?

#68 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

does first tuition deposit refer to the $200 non-refundable deposit that you have to mail in within two weeks of receiving your offer?

Yes. I believe you will be issued a student number after TRU receives your $200 deposit. You can then set up a Mytru account using that number.

#69 HAnne10

HAnne10
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

When does registration start?

Edited by HAnne10, 24 March 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#70 aragon416

aragon416
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Yes. I believe you will be issued a student number after TRU receives your $200 deposit. You can then set up a Mytru account using that number.

hmmm i have mailed in my deposit and i did receive confirmation that it has been received, but I haven't received any info regarding mytru or registration. anyone else in a similar situation?

#71 ilovetacos

ilovetacos
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

hmmm i have mailed in my deposit and i did receive confirmation that it has been received, but I haven't received any info regarding mytru or registration. anyone else in a similar situation?

Yup, same here. Haven't bothered looking into it much but probably should haha

#72 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

When does registration start?

as a first year student, you don't register for classes. All your classes are picked for you. This is the standard practice across Canada. You get to pick electives on your second year. 

i don't recall being issued a student number right away, it took them some time. 

having said that, the best place to ask this question is the SLS Facebook page for the class of 2018: https://www.facebook...00123203417088/

this thread is mostly for acceptance stats. 

Edited by eyeofthetiger, 24 March 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#73 HAnne10

HAnne10
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

[quote name="eyeofthetiger" post="522004" timestamp="1427248833"]

as a first year student, you don't register for classes. All your classes are picked for you. This is the standard practice across Canada. You get to pick electives on your second year.

Thanks! When can we expect to get our course schedules?
  • eyeofthetiger likes this

#74 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

[quote name="eyeofthetiger" post="522004" timestamp="1427248833"]

Thanks! When can we expect to get our course schedules?

sometime in late summer

the current schedule is on the website: http://www.tru.ca/la...gistration.html

depending on the section that you are assigned to, it should give you an idea.

dont forget about the fb group!

#75 HAnne10

HAnne10
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

Thanks!

• eyeofthetiger likes this