Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Accepted 2015

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#26 LawyerBryant

LawyerBryant
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

Talk about unprofessional.

Other holistic schools at least offer some sort of guideline. Cal mentions they focus on last 60 and windsor offer some insight in regards to their admissions process .

None of the above can be found with TRL sadly.

#27 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Other holistic schools at least offer some sort of guideline. Cal mentions they focus on last 60 and windsor offer some insight in regards to their admissions process .

What is TRL? 
Also, have you checked here:
http://www.tru.ca/la...ts/faq.html#one

Edited by eyeofthetiger, 26 February 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#28 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

All of the holistic schools criteria are pretty similar.  Windsor may break it down to however many steps they have but it's all the same thing.  Holistic means they look at everything.  Do you really need it spelled out for you?  

• Bure10 and Nizamisy like this

#29 Gratian

Gratian
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Just got in!

So happy to be able to stay in BC.

Stats: 164 LSAT, 3.18 L90 GPA

• eyeofthetiger likes this

#30 LawyerBryant

LawyerBryant
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

Congrats! Is that 3.18 on a 4 point scale?

#31 Gratian

Gratian
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Yup 4pt scale, I do have a strong upward trend though so that may have made a difference (L2 is 3.45)

#32 Mastan

Mastan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Long timer lurker, first post. Accepted today. Will be accepting.

Stats:

LSAT – 145; 153.

cGPA – 3.6ish

Best 2 – 3.88

Strong ECs and reference letters

Concerning the LSAT, don't let your score deter you from applying or expecting an acceptance. Looking forward to meeting those that also accept in September. 

Also, a question: at this stage of application cycle, is it still considered early?

#33 ilovetacos

ilovetacos
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

In via email.

65th percentile LSAT, unsure of GPA but around a B. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never heard of only having a week to accept the spot.

#34 Ptolemy

Ptolemy
  • Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Long timer lurker, first post. Accepted today. Will be accepting.

Stats:

LSAT – 145; 153.

cGPA – 3.6ish

Best 2 – 3.88

Strong ECs and reference letters

Concerning the LSAT, don't let your score deter you from applying or expecting an acceptance. Looking forward to meeting those that also accept in September. 

Also, a question: at this stage of application cycle, is it still considered early?

I would guess that it isn't that early in TRU's cycle if they are making offers to applicants with LSATs at or below the 65th percentile and giving them only a week to accept.

Edited by Ptolemy, 03 March 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• transferquestions likes this

#35 Mastan

Mastan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

I would guess that it isn't that early in TRU's cycle if they are making offers to applicants with LSATs at or below the 65th percentile and giving them only a week to accept.

Thanks. I was curious as I don't seem to be the first to be offered a spot with a low LSAT (see law90 on the first page of the thread reporting a 154). I was more so inquiring as to the date of being "early," but I see your point regarding the lower the statistics the further along the cycle it may be for TRU.

#36 Oilersfan

Oilersfan
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

Also accepted via email today.

LSAT: 150 and 159
B2: ~3.45

Accepted roughly 2.5 weeks following the email stating all documents had been received.

Edited by Oilersfan, 03 March 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#37 LawyerBryant

LawyerBryant
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Oilersfan, please check PM

#38 aeolson1

aeolson1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:31 AM

In as of today (4.1, 3.9, 157). Will be accepting the offer but losing my deposit if I hear from my #1 (UVIC)

#39 Oilersfan

Oilersfan
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

Congrats everybody!

I should elaborate on my acceptance.

My cGPA was approximately 3.3. My GPA has been calculated on a 4 point scale, and I have not calculated my last 3 years.

I had very strong Letters of Reference, and majored in Business Law and Economics during my undergrad.

I hope this helps anybody who is still waiting to hear from TRU!

#40 ilovetacos

ilovetacos
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

I should've mentioned I applied and was accepted via the special/discretionary category hence the low stats.

#41 joecanada

joecanada
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

In via email March 3. Application complete early December.

I am going to be a bit long winded here for the benefit of future applicants and to share some insights. I've been a lurker on this site for a number of years.

I was rejected from nearly every Canadian school 6 or 7 cycles ago (except TRU for obvious reasons). I made some cold calls to the schools and asked for feedback on my applications at that time. Some Admissions Officers were receptive to providing constructive criticism; others were not. The ones that did provide feedback dropped some very strong hints on how to improve my chances the next time that I applied.

Since I had exhausted my LSAT attempts, and did not want to complete a second undergraduate degree, I put Law on the back burner for a few years and focused on other things: travel, work, and also furthering my education. I completed a graduate Business degree (which was always a goal of mine anyway, and in a different field than my undergraduate degree).

About a year and a half ago, after some contemplation and encouragement from family, I decided to take another shot at Law, and studied extensively for the LSAT. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I just could not get my score up to the 160 range. I applied broadly anyway.

Late last year, I made the decision to go abroad for Law school had I not been successful in gaining admission during this cycle. My opinion on going abroad differs than most of what posters usually say about going abroad - but that's just my unqualified opinion.

In my personal statement I explained how my academic and professional experience will help me in Law school and beyond, and I also provided some limited supplementary documents. I applied under the Special Applicant category, mostly in the hope that the AdComm would look at my overall application and not just my relatively poor LSAT score and undergraduate grades from what feels like Ancient history.

LSAT: I wrote the LSAT multiple times, with a cancelled score on my first try many years ago; 154 is my best mark. I also hired tutors, took 2 courses, and spent hours in the library.

CGPA: around 3.0. My first and second years were spent learning how to adjust to the realities of University life, and consequently my grades were poor.

Last 90: About 3.4 GPA

Graduate degree: 3.8 GPA. Completing a Graduate degree instead of starting a second undergraduate degree was a risk. Posters on this forum often indicate that such a degree is considered a “soft” factor. Nonetheless, it may have counted for something (or may not have. LOL).

Work experience:

Retail throughout undergraduate;

Owned a small business;

Several government departments (everything from administrative roles to decision maker);

Small stint at a Not for Profit;

A few months for an insurance company.

In these roles, I spent several years working on many projects with people from different walks of life - recent immigrants, refugees, youth at risk, socially isolated Seniors, Aboriginal people, business leaders, etc.

References: Graduate Professors and current Employer.

Other Extra Curricular Activities: Sports while growing up. Not much in respect to formal volunteering, but most of my recent work experience led to working alongside or directly with Not for Profit groups.

My point in this post is: Do not ever be discouraged by rejection. Sometimes the path to one's goal is meandering. Stop, breathe, reassess, and push forward. Keep fighting and working hard.

Now the real work begins (well, in September).

• ihavenoname2011, Stark, lizch and 6 others like this

#42 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Excellent post joecanada.  Glad to see all that hard work paid off!  

#43 Gratian

Gratian
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

For anyone else who was accepted by phone, how long after the call did you receive the email? I was just told I would receive it "shortly" and its been nearly a week without hearing anything.

#44 eraven

eraven
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far! For those of you who are accepted, the class Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook...00123203417088/

In the Facebook group there are upper years to answer questions and info on future orientation events!

• sipho13 likes this

#45 Onesimplequestion

Onesimplequestion
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

For anyone else who was accepted by phone, how long after the call did you receive the email? I was just told I would receive it "shortly" and its been nearly a week without hearing anything.

I got it around an hour later. You should probably call them seeing that there is a one week limit before the offer expires!

#46 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Accepted on Monday :) happy  :razz:

Does anyone know what the Admitted Applicant Profile look like at TRU from past years?

And/or does anyone know how many applications TRU Law typically receives each year? Curious....

#47 LawyerBryant

LawyerBryant
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Acceptance Stats?^

#48 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

LSAT 153
Gpa 3.8 last two years

#49 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!!!
So excited for an amazing year ahead! Lets make this an awesome experience
Good luck to those still waiting

#50 CRKE

CRKE
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Accepted on Monday :) happy :razz:
Does anyone know what the Admitted Applicant Profile look like at TRU from past years?
And/or does anyone know how many applications TRU Law typically receives each year? Curious....

When was your application Complete? Wondering as I have similar stats.