pvds

Accepted 2015

125 posts in this topic

In via email March 3. Application complete early December.

I am going to be a bit long winded here for the benefit of future applicants and to share some insights. I've been a lurker on this site for a number of years.

I was rejected from nearly every Canadian school 6 or 7 cycles ago (except TRU for obvious reasons). I made some cold calls to the schools and asked for feedback on my applications at that time. Some Admissions Officers were receptive to providing constructive criticism; others were not. The ones that did provide feedback dropped some very strong hints on how to improve my chances the next time that I applied.

Since I had exhausted my LSAT attempts, and did not want to complete a second undergraduate degree, I put Law on the back burner for a few years and focused on other things: travel, work, and also furthering my education. I completed a graduate Business degree (which was always a goal of mine anyway, and in a different field than my undergraduate degree).

About a year and a half ago, after some contemplation and encouragement from family, I decided to take another shot at Law, and studied extensively for the LSAT. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I just could not get my score up to the 160 range. I applied broadly anyway.

Late last year, I made the decision to go abroad for Law school had I not been successful in gaining admission during this cycle. My opinion on going abroad differs than most of what posters usually say about going abroad - but that's just my unqualified opinion.

In my personal statement I explained how my academic and professional experience will help me in Law school and beyond, and I also provided some limited supplementary documents. I applied under the Special Applicant category, mostly in the hope that the AdComm would look at my overall application and not just my relatively poor LSAT score and undergraduate grades from what feels like Ancient history.

LSAT: I wrote the LSAT multiple times, with a cancelled score on my first try many years ago; 154 is my best mark. I also hired tutors, took 2 courses, and spent hours in the library.

CGPA: around 3.0. My first and second years were spent learning how to adjust to the realities of University life, and consequently my grades were poor.

Last 90: About 3.4 GPA

Graduate degree: 3.8 GPA. Completing a Graduate degree instead of starting a second undergraduate degree was a risk. Posters on this forum often indicate that such a degree is considered a “soft” factor. Nonetheless, it may have counted for something (or may not have. LOL).

Work experience:

Retail throughout undergraduate;

Owned a small business;

Several government departments (everything from administrative roles to decision maker);

Small stint at a Not for Profit;

A few months for an insurance company.

In these roles, I spent several years working on many projects with people from different walks of life - recent immigrants, refugees, youth at risk, socially isolated Seniors, Aboriginal people, business leaders, etc.

References: Graduate Professors and current Employer.

Other Extra Curricular Activities: Sports while growing up. Not much in respect to formal volunteering, but most of my recent work experience led to working alongside or directly with Not for Profit groups.

My point in this post is: Do not ever be discouraged by rejection. Sometimes the path to one's goal is meandering. Stop, breathe, reassess, and push forward. Keep fighting and working hard.

Now the real work begins (well, in September).

9 people like this

For anyone else who was accepted by phone, how long after the call did you receive the email? I was just told I would receive it "shortly" and its been nearly a week without hearing anything.

For anyone else who was accepted by phone, how long after the call did you receive the email? I was just told I would receive it "shortly" and its been nearly a week without hearing anything.

I got it around an hour later. You should probably call them seeing that there is a one week limit before the offer expires!

Accepted on Monday :) happy  :-P

Does anyone know what the Admitted Applicant Profile look like at TRU from past years?

And/or does anyone know how many applications TRU Law typically receives each year? Curious....

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!!!

So excited for an amazing year ahead! Lets make this an awesome experience

Good luck to those still waiting

Accepted on Monday :) happy :-P

Does anyone know what the Admitted Applicant Profile look like at TRU from past years?

And/or does anyone know how many applications TRU Law typically receives each year? Curious....

When was your application Complete? Wondering as I have similar stats.

Congrats!! Did you accept?

Thank you :)

Yes I did accept. They only gave me 1 week from the date of my acceptance letter to confirm. I also have yet to hear from other schools I've applied to as well, so I'm sending in my deposit today. 

I got accepted via email today as well. Application was complete as of Feb 19

LSAT: 156

cGPA: 3.7 (approx.)

L2: 3.8

Strong ECs and LORs (Government Co-op positions & lots of volunteer)

I will definitely be accepting!

has anyone been accepted into the Aboriginal category?  if yes, I would really appreciate knowing your stats (either by posting it or private messaging me).

thanks.

In via email March 3. Application complete early December.

I am going to be a bit long winded here for the benefit of future applicants and to share some insights. I've been a lurker on this site for a number of years.

I was rejected from nearly every Canadian school 6 or 7 cycles ago (except TRU for obvious reasons). I made some cold calls to the schools and asked for feedback on my applications at that time. Some Admissions Officers were receptive to providing constructive criticism; others were not. The ones that did provide feedback dropped some very strong hints on how to improve my chances the next time that I applied.

Since I had exhausted my LSAT attempts, and did not want to complete a second undergraduate degree, I put Law on the back burner for a few years and focused on other things: travel, work, and also furthering my education. I completed a graduate Business degree (which was always a goal of mine anyway, and in a different field than my undergraduate degree).

About a year and a half ago, after some contemplation and encouragement from family, I decided to take another shot at Law, and studied extensively for the LSAT. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I just could not get my score up to the 160 range. I applied broadly anyway.

Late last year, I made the decision to go abroad for Law school had I not been successful in gaining admission during this cycle. My opinion on going abroad differs than most of what posters usually say about going abroad - but that's just my unqualified opinion.

In my personal statement I explained how my academic and professional experience will help me in Law school and beyond, and I also provided some limited supplementary documents. I applied under the Special Applicant category, mostly in the hope that the AdComm would look at my overall application and not just my relatively poor LSAT score and undergraduate grades from what feels like Ancient history.

LSAT: I wrote the LSAT multiple times, with a cancelled score on my first try many years ago; 154 is my best mark. I also hired tutors, took 2 courses, and spent hours in the library.

CGPA: around 3.0. My first and second years were spent learning how to adjust to the realities of University life, and consequently my grades were poor.

Last 90: About 3.4 GPA

Graduate degree: 3.8 GPA. Completing a Graduate degree instead of starting a second undergraduate degree was a risk. Posters on this forum often indicate that such a degree is considered a “soft” factor. Nonetheless, it may have counted for something (or may not have. LOL).

Work experience:

Retail throughout undergraduate;

Owned a small business;

Several government departments (everything from administrative roles to decision maker);

Small stint at a Not for Profit;

A few months for an insurance company.

In these roles, I spent several years working on many projects with people from different walks of life - recent immigrants, refugees, youth at risk, socially isolated Seniors, Aboriginal people, business leaders, etc.

References: Graduate Professors and current Employer.

Other Extra Curricular Activities: Sports while growing up. Not much in respect to formal volunteering, but most of my recent work experience led to working alongside or directly with Not for Profit groups.

My point in this post is: Do not ever be discouraged by rejection. Sometimes the path to one's goal is meandering. Stop, breathe, reassess, and push forward. Keep fighting and working hard.

Now the real work begins (well, in September).

Love this post! Thank you so much for the encouragement :). Congratulations and I wish you success in your law future!

1 person likes this