Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

TRU SLS VP: Making myself available for questions.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi,

I am the External Vice President of the Society of Law Students at TRU.
http://www.trusls.or...vice-president/

This school year I will be checking in to answer questions people may have about TRU Law.

Please understand that any 'Chances' threads are difficult to respond to because admissions varies every year at every law school.

• TallTree likes this

#2 Eeee

Eeee
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

What are the median LSAT/GPA scores of accepted applicants? I wasn't able to find that information on TRU's website.

• ihavenoname2011, Bure10 and JaBagwon like this

#3 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Nice picture bearbait :P

• Bearbait and Noobez like this

#4 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

The law school hasn't released that data yet. I'm not sure if they even plan to. We've been told that it is similar to the other law schools, but I'm not 100% sure what that means - i.e. how similar? in what ways?. So, as for the exact medians, I don't know what they are.

BUT, I was involved in admissions for Summer 2013 and I can say that I was surprised at how many quality applicants were wait listed or denied. Based on my experience with admissions, it is very competitive to get into law at Thompson Rivers University. Just like you would expect for any law school. Keep in mind that the LSAT and GPA are just part of the consideration. They also look closely at the personal statement and reference letters, for example.

#5 trustmeguf

trustmeguf
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

"Hi Bearbait,

I'm trying to get my application into TRU for September 2015 and I've encountered some conflicting information.  I was wondering if you would be able to clarify the last date I could take the LSAT.

On the website F.A.Q. it says December is the last LSAT they will accept, while their application form indicates the last one is Feb.

I don't think i'll be ready to write in december, will the rest of my application be in vain if I decide to wait until Feb? (I understand it is rolling admissions and I am putting myself behind the pack by taking it in Feb)

Thanks in advance!"

Edit: NVM! it appears it is Feb on the F.A.Q. aswell.  I'm not sure how i got my wires crossed.

Thanks anyways!

Edited by trustmeguf, 10 November 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#6 orion88

orion88
  • Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

I have never heard of a student being involved in the admissions process at a school...has anyone else lol 

#7 leafs_law

leafs_law
  • Members
  • 813 posts
  • LocationShelbyville

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

I have never heard of a student being involved in the admissions process at a school...has anyone else lol 

I think it is very common for students to be part of the admissions committee.

Edit: come to think of it, I might only know of students being on the alternative admission committee (or whatever they call that category), since that calls for more input as it isn't entirely stats-based

Edited by leafs_law, 11 November 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3255 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

I know TRU students have been involved in admissions since the end of my first year (I was inaugural class).  The extent of the involved I can't comment as it happened during the summer.

• eyeofthetiger and kasumikoi like this

#9 eyeofthetiger

eyeofthetiger
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Ummm, yes. Pretty much the standard practice across the country. 
Where have you been?

#10 Diplock

Diplock
  • Members
  • 5411 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, umm... I guess if you've never had anything to do with student politics or the like, this isn't something that's broadcast widely. But then again, it isn't a secret either, it's just that most people can't be bothered paying any attention to how a school is run. Generally speaking, student representation on committees of this sort is drawn from student government, or in this case whatever SLS (Student Law Society) you happen to have. It's dead common. Can't swear it's universal, but it's very common.

• Pyke, Bearbait and RedRocket like this

#11 Pyke

Pyke
  • Members
  • 8563 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, umm... I guess if you've never had anything to do with student politics or the like, this isn't something that's broadcast widely. But then again, it isn't a secret either, it's just that most people can't be bothered paying any attention to how a school is run. Generally speaking, student representation on committees of this sort is drawn from student government, or in this case whatever SLS (Student Law Society) you happen to have. It's dead common. Can't swear it's universal, but it's very common.

Not sure if it's as common at the undergraduate level, but as you and I both know, it was the case at Toronto (law school).

Edited by Pyke, 12 November 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#12 orion88

orion88
  • Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Cool - learn something new everyday :D

#13 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

"Hi Bearbait,

I'm trying to get my application into TRU for September 2015 and I've encountered some conflicting information.  I was wondering if you would be able to clarify the last date I could take the LSAT.

On the website F.A.Q. it says December is the last LSAT they will accept, while their application form indicates the last one is Feb.

I don't think i'll be ready to write in december, will the rest of my application be in vain if I decide to wait until Feb? (I understand it is rolling admissions and I am putting myself behind the pack by taking it in Feb)

Thanks in advance!"

Edit: NVM! it appears it is Feb on the F.A.Q. aswell.  I'm not sure how i got my wires crossed.

Thanks anyways!

Sorry for the delayed response. I see you found your answer.

As a side note: the deadline for admissions applicants is February 10, 2015. They are giving early admissions this year if you get your application in by November 30, 2014. Any applications sent in by then will be handled on a rolling admission basis - so if you applied early and did the December LSAT it is possible that you could get accepted before the final deadline.

• trustmeguf likes this

#14 trustmeguf

trustmeguf
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. I see you found your answer.

As a side note: the deadline for admissions applicants is February 10, 2015. They are giving early admissions this year if you get your application in by November 30, 2014. Any applications sent in by then will be handled on a rolling admission basis - so if you applied early and did the December LSAT it is possible that you could get accepted before the final deadline.

Thanks for the reply and information, I really appreciate it!

#15 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

As a heads up, I will likely not be on lawstudents.ca as much this next month. December is exams and then we have a winter break until the start of January. As a general rule, I tend not to be on social media as much during this time.

I will try my best to address any questions in a timely manner. Feel free to e-mail me this month ([email protected]), though by doing so you are likely removing the anonymity that this forum provides. 

Good luck to everyone heading into law exams and good luck to all those sending in student applications.

• Hegdis likes this

#16 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

Alright, I'm back in action. Ready to take any questions. It is just over a month until the application deadline: February 10th, 2015.

Thanks to those who e-mailed me over the winter break - hopefully I was able to provide some help.

#17 jmichk

jmichk
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Hi Bearbait,

I'm getting my application ready for next September and I just have a question about the reference letters. The TRU advisors replied to my email eventually, but didn't really answer my question. I'm wondering what exactly should my referees write? Other schools that require reference letters either have some kind of template or form for the referee to fill out. But TRU doesn't. So I'm wondering if there is something specific my referees should focus on? Kind of at a loss. Seems like a daunting task to ask of someone - to write a letter about me with no guidance as to what to write! Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Edited by jmichk, 10 January 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#18 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3255 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

I really dont think thats something we can answer here.  Usually if your references are profs in school then it wouldnt be the first time they write a letter and they will know what to do.  As for non academic references it will usually be someone who has had some sort of supervisory capacity over you, and again it wont be the first time they do this.

#19 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Well, let's state the obvious first - they are going to be writing about you. If you have chosen your references wisely, they are going to say good things about you that will make the reader think you will make a good law student at their school.

Some things they may answer:
What is their relationship to you? How long have they known you?
What are you like as a student? Or as an employee?
What are you like as a person (if they have that insight)?
Is there anything that makes you stand out from the average student/employee?
Is there anything that makes you well qualified for law school?

There is no real template. It will always be different based on the kind of relationship you have with the person writing the reference letter. You can always ask the writer for permission to read it before they send it - they might say yes. Last thing you want is someone to write a generic letter that really doesn't say anything about you or worse, a bad reference letter. It happens.

As Bure10 said, if it is an academic reference, they probably have written a reference letter before. And I think even if it is an employer, they have likely written reference letters for employees before.

• jmichk likes this

#20 GrimesA

GrimesA
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBrockville

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hi Bearbait,

I sent in an application right after finishing my dec exams. I emailed them around the beginning of January (first week of classes) asking if they had received it, and they said they hadn't yet but were catching up on applications from the break and to check back in a week. I emailed them again and they have not yet responded, and they are not answering phone calls either it seems. Im dreadfully worried that my application didn't make it in, or that my application will be out of sorts when it gets there (LOR's, Transcripts, as I had them sent just a few days after dropping my application in the mail). Is there anything you could advise me to do about this? I'm very interested in attending this fall.

Thanks!

#21 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

Hey GrimesA,

I can't really give you a quick fix on this issue but I can tell you that they are contacting people who do not have complete applications.

Your best bet for contact is through e-mail but they do receive tons of e-mails so it can take them awhile to get back to you. Unfortunately, the admissions department is slightly understaffed which has led to longer wait times on replies.

Hope that helps.

~James

#22 sipho13

sipho13
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hi Bearbait,
No idea if you are able to answer my question but im wondering how many applications TRU receives each year? Ballpark?
Ive been accepted for Sept 2015 and am really curious.

Thanks so much in advance!!

#23 Bearbait

Bearbait
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'm not sure what the exact number will be this year.

They have brought in more applicants each year and I am not sure what the target goal is. I'm not sure if it will continue to raise of if we can expect about the same as last year.

Last year was around 115 first years. The year before it was around 100 students.

#24 ilovetacos

ilovetacos
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

Does the faculty have any plans for an international exchange program? I've been accepted for September 2015 and am really hoping to participate in an exchange!

#25 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Does the faculty have any plans for an international exchange program? I've been accepted for September 2015 and am really hoping to participate in an exchange!

We don't have anything official yet but you can get a Letter of Permission and still do an exchange.  We had a few people who did that the last few years.  

• Bearbait and ilovetacos like this