Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

We are In-House Lawyers - Ask Us Anything

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#126 Jessyvr

Jessyvr
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I am taking the subject of this thread literally.  I am not looking for law advice, but assistance where I can obtain the information I am seeking. I have come to a dead-end in my online search. 

[large post containing personal information removed & PM sent to poster]

Jess

Edited by Hegdis, 10 April 2016 - 12:45 PM.
request for legal advice

#127 Pyke

Pyke
  • Members
  • 8701 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Just to get things straight, it seems like most in-house positions are for corporate lawyers (?) who are keep a general practice (?). So this means that junior lawyers should keep that in mind when they are determining their practice area (if they are thinking to eventually exit private practice to go in-house) ... What do you think the in-house opportunities are for junior lawyers in commercial real estate? (Less than general corporate lawyers, I am assuming). Would they be working for a REIT or what type of company? And what work would they be doing?

Many in-house positions are for corporate lawyers, but not all of them. If we're limiting ourselves to in-house lawyers with private companies (e.g.: not federal government), then you need to look at the types of things an institutional client might want to do.

Of the top of my head, real estate, trademarks/patents, employment/labour, and corporate are all things that a big enough institutional client might want. Outside of pure litigators often not being in house (with a few exceptions), I don't think your general assumption is a good one.

I don't know real estate very well, but I know many companies which are sufficiently large want lawyers for their acquisitions of real property, so real estate is an area where junior lawyers find some opportunity. Someone else might be better suited to speak to it.

#128 conge

conge
  • Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are in-house opportunities for tax lawyers like? Are they primarily limited to the Big 4?

Picking this up late, but no, they aren't limited to big accounting firms. Large companies do hire tax lawyers, but in my experience, they look for tax lawyers to work in non-legal roles (e.g. where you're not just responsible for legal aspects of tax, but also have a business/commercial role.) These types of positions are not very common. I've only see two or three positions come up in my 3 years of practise.

#129 law4sho

law4sho
  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

apologies if previously answered: any in-house lawyers here set themselves up as professional corporations (for tax) when working as an employee? if so, any complications? I don't think I've ever seen a government lawyer do this, has anyone in government ever tried asking their employer?

#130 Chrysander

Chrysander
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

apologies if previously answered: any in-house lawyers here set themselves up as professional corporations (for tax) when working as an employee? if so, any complications? I don't think I've ever seen a government lawyer do this, has anyone in government ever tried asking their employer?

It wouldn't make any sense for a government lawyer to even try and do this as professional corporations do not get pensions or benefits.

Edited by Chrysander, 04 September 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#131 law4sho

law4sho
  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

It wouldn't make any sense for a government lawyer to even try and do this as professional corporations do not get pensions or benefits.

Hmm, what if they were working there on a one-year contract and they weren't getting any pensions or benefits anyways?

#132 whereverjustice

whereverjustice
  • Moderators
  • 4357 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Governments are not going to be interested in setting up parallel HR structures for certain lawyers just because those lawyers want to have differential tax treatment. Just not going to happen.

#133 Kip

Kip
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

I'm in government and have never heard of someone trying this.

#134 kurrika

kurrika
  • Members
  • 12513 posts
  • LocationNockmaar

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Hmm, what if they were working there on a one-year contract and they weren't getting any pensions or benefits anyways?

In those circumstances the government would just retain outside counsel.

#135 law4sho

law4sho
  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

Well, there goes my fantasy of being a highly paid government employee with a PC, thanks guys. lol