Neverender

People treating you differently since starting law?

186 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, maximumbob said:

That's a fairly common practice for family and friends of doctors- a few years ago my brother managed to get a rush MRI for his knee because my mother was best friends with the head of medicine at a local hospital.  Hey, when it's your kid, you do what you gotta do,  

For what it's worth, I remember reading a study a few years ago which showed that the wives of lawyers were more likely to get C-sections than those of non-lawyers, the theory being that doctors became more risk adverse when they knew their patient was married to a doctor (though I don't know if they tests the alternative hypothesis that becoming a lawyer gives you a big head that you pass to your children neccesitatimg c-sections).  In any event, my father always makes a point of mentioning that his son is a lawyer (omitting the "tax lawyer" part) when he goes for surgery.

I don't fault a parent for trying to help their child. I fault the hospital and its staff for cooperating. Oh, it's certainly not the worst thing, but it's symptomatic.

10 hours ago, providence said:

Stupid reasoning, because unnecessary c-sections increase risk.

Whether or not they increase medical/physical risk, they decrease (or are perceived to decrease) legal risk (perhaps because the risk is more to the mother and less to the infant?).

2 people like this

5 hours ago, epeeist said:

I don't fault a parent for trying to help their child. I fault the hospital and its staff for cooperating. Oh, it's certainly not the worst thing, but it's symptomatic.

Whether or not they increase medical/physical risk, they decrease (or are perceived to decrease) legal risk (perhaps because the risk is more to the mother and less to the infant?).

That's so insulting. I would be beyond pissed if some doctor wanted to cut me open because my partner was a lawyer....

4 hours ago, providence said:

That's so insulting. I would be beyond pissed if some doctor wanted to cut me open because my partner was a lawyer....

Your kid would go through life with an unsquished brain though

1 person likes this

It also helps prevent incontinence later in life. Preventative c-sections are the way to a drier tomorrow, ladies!