barbarous

What's a good Bar Exam Prep Course (Ontario)?

I'm writing the Solicitor Exam on Nov. 19 and am considering taking the "Bar Exam Prep Course" (BEPC) run by University of Toronto (part of their Internationally Trained Lawyers Program, but it's open to anyone writing the Bar Exams):

http://www.itlp.utoronto.ca/programs/bar-exam-prep-course-bepc

Wondering if anyone here has experience with this prep course and can vouch for its quality and worthwhileness. It's 30 hours over five days (Nov 9-13 for those writing the Nov 19 Solicitor Exam), and it comes with a hefty price tag of $1,220 (and that's just the prep course for one exam eg Solicitor).

I'm also wondering whether anyone here used either of the two websites below for practice exams, and if so what your experience was and how beneficial you found it:

http://www.ontariolawexam.com
$79.99 for TWO practice exams. Each exam has 150 questions (should be written within 4.5 hours). For someone writing the November Solicitor Exam, you only have access to the online practice exams between 5-19 November, and each online practice exam can only be written once.

http://www.lawexams.ca

$89.95 for ONE practice exam with 150 questions (should be written within 4.5 hours). This company appears to be provide a more detailed "score report" with breakdown of performance levels in different subject areas as well as an explanation of why answers are right or wrong. For someone writing the November Solicitor Exam, you only have access to the online practice exams between 5-19 November, and each online practice exam can only be written once.

Between the two above options for online practice exams, lawexams.ca appears to be better value, particularly in the detailed feedback you get with the breakdown of how you did on the various sections and question types.

NB: These private companies are not licensed by LSUC to use actual questions from Licensing Exams (even old, previously administered ones), but the questions on these practice exams are nonetheless supposedly designed to simulate the format and nature of the real test questions as closely as possible.

I'm very interested to hear from anyone who has experience with any of these bar exam prep services and how you rate them.

Thank you.

Edited by barbarous

I'll add that upon looking closer at UofT's Bar Exam Prep Course, I have a hard imagining that it can really be all that useful or helpful. More specifically: if you read the summary of what they present to you in the Course (see link below), it seems like if that kind of information ("How to create, adapt and use indexes") is actually novel information for someone when they're ten days away from writing the exam, they're probably not going to do so well...

http://www.itlp.utoronto.ca/programs/bar-exam-prep-course-bepc/bepc-exam-preparation/

Edited by barbarous

You could also check out canbarprep.com - you can do a practice exam of each one once, for $80 an exam I believe. You can access it now, and review the answers once you've been given your score. I haven't done one yet, but I"m told there's around 130 questions and explanations for answers are given on the review

I was also considering taking the "Bar Exam Prep Course" (BEPC)... has anyone taken this? How useful are prep courses in general?

Blurg: Thank you for mentioning also canbarprep.com. They only offer a course for the June bar exams, but they do have practice exams available year-round ($80 each for solicitor or barrister). See here: http://www.canbarprep.com/exams.htm

Still waiting to hear from anyone who may have experience with any of the resources discussed in my original post: UofT's BEPC; ontariolawexam.com; lawexams.ca; or canbarprep.com.

Are any of these services worth using?

Edited by barbarous

Hey OP I only took the Can Bar Prep for the solicitor exam-- I found it pretty brief and general but good as a recap if you are already comfortable with the material but don't have time to read every single line in the binder. I took the practice exams on ontariolawexam.com the night before each of the barrister and solicitor in June and got around 75% on both. I passed both exams in real life but then again no one knows what you need to pass so I can't tell you what that means. If anything I would say take the practice exams for the confidence boost, they r pretty damn cheap considering how much $$ you have probably already sunk in your law Education/career:)

I used ontariolawexam.com last year and it was helpful in practicing with the indices I had prepared. It is all about confidence and spending the extra $$ to build up my confidence was worth every penny.

Hey all,

I'm a recent graduate from Queen's and I wrote the Ontario bar exams this past March 2015.

After purchasing a bunch of practice exams (without any information available online) I wrote a review about Emond (CanBarPrep)'s online tests here.

I expect to write reviews about the other practice tests I used too (e.g. BarPrepPal). I know it's too late to help the OP but hopefully others may find my reviews useful.

Cheers,

Ivan

• Like 2

For anyone still looking for good practice tests online, I just finished my second review, this time on BarPrepPal's online tests.

Full article is here: http://ivanmerrow.com/2015/05/11/review-barpreppals-ontario-bar-exam-practice-tests/

Good luck studying!

Ivan

Hey all,

I'm a recent graduate from Queen's and I wrote the Ontario bar exams this past March 2015.

After purchasing a bunch of practice exams (without any information available online) I wrote a review about Emond (CanBarPrep)'s online tests here.

I expect to write reviews about the other practice tests I used too (e.g. BarPrepPal). I know it's too late to help the OP but hopefully others may find my reviews useful.

Cheers,

Ivan