1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 913

1. 2.5k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

4. 240

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 91 Guests (See full list)

• Scrantonicity2
    • mac101
    • BlockedQuebecois
    • Luckylaw1000
    • JayDawg33
    • mimler
    • TimbitPancake
    • ainorhcue
    • heyhey
    • acatinthesun
    • prelaw133
    • Mountebank
    • theSquibandtheEye
    • Lawstudent234
    • LegallyExhausted6
    • Flash16
    • TheDevilIKnow
    • Volenti
    • Lawstudents20202020
    • Conge
    • FutureLStudent
    • Kibitzer
    • Bachtowork
    • am0229
    • Lincoln Lawyer
    • HF29
    • CB2021
    • washedballer
    • AllBeenDone
    • Spinnaker
    • tortstortoise
    • MiceInRice

• Recent Posts

• Conge
      As a counterpoint, this may the last opportunity to take a year to travel/work/etc. Once you start law school, it's hard to take time off the well beaten path to becoming a lawyer.  To answer OP's question, though, I'd apply this year to keep your options open. A "gap" year isn't off the table completely if you are accepted now but it gives you the option of attending law school now. 
    • ltom
      Does anyone know when the next round of admissions is? (Or if this is it?)
    • Dinsdale
      Also, it's an aptitude test.  Prep can help on the margins, but it's highly overrated.  Obviously it's good to do basic prep such as knowing the format of the questions you will be asked. After doing that basic familiarization, try a practice test if you're curious.  See how you do.  If you do great, proceed to actually writing the LSAT at a convenient time.  If you do not so great, then consider some formal prep.  You have oodles of time.
    • student3
      That’s great, thanks again! & will do 🙂
    • SNAILS
      @Audacious, if you are still considering doing this, then at least spend some time on the internet researching the NCA process. You would be a person with a foreign law degree on equal footing with a person who did a law degree in any other country, and the affiliation with a Canadian university does not change that. I know at least two people who attended a British Law school with intent to be a lawyer in Canada who did not end up working as legal assistants. The NCA process is quite difficult.
    • SNAILS
      I did not take a business law course (at Osgoode: "Business Associations"), and I do somewhat regret it for the bar exam. It's not going to make me fail the Solicitor's Exam or anything, but it means that I have to read that section of the prep materials a bit more closely, and probably review it a second time. Echoing what @Dinsdale wrote, I do believe every student should cover the basics in 2L/3L which for me included Family Law, Real Estate, Wills and Estates, Employment Law, Evidence, and Criminal Procedure. I could see Tax Law being considered an essential as well, but for me, I considered it to be unnecessarily difficult and specialized for a person with no intent to practice in that field. If you have a pretty firm idea what field of law might interest you as a career, I would suggest picking several courses in that area. For me, I chose some Criminal Law Related courses. 
    • SNAILS
      From reading your post, @flowering, I suspect you do not even know what the day-to-day duties of a legal assistant are. Even I would have a hard time envisioning what a firm might need from a legal assistant without knowing a bit more about a particular firm and the area of law that you would be assisting in. I have known legal assistants to have the role of essentially a receptionist (being the first point of contact when people walk into the office; scheduling appointments; printing, copying and sending out of materials). In Family Law, the term legal assistant is sometimes substituted for that of a Law Clerk, which in Ontario requires a one year education. Such family law clerks typically co-ordinate with clients to make sure affidavits and other forms are completed, collected, and filed. Some legal assitants have a great deal of bookkeeping duties and duties related to sending out bills. If you told me that being a Legal Assistant was your end goal, then I would suggest  that it has a great deal in common with other forms of Office Administration work such as in a dentist's office or insurance firm.  If you end goal it to be a lawyer, you should focus on getting into law school. While it is true that extensive experience as a paralegal or Law Clerk has helped some mature students get into law school, it is a very inefficient was to become a lawyer.
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.