Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

0L's - post any questions in here

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#51 mario_c

mario_c
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hey Mario--very informative post.

Just wondering, do Scotia and TD require a co-signer for this?

Thanks in advance.

No co-signer is required, even as a first time borrower. In the eyes of the bank you are a lower risk versus say, I don't know, a contract worker looking to take out a line of credit that is not for education advancement.This is assuming you do not have any current significant debt. As previously expressed , bring in all of your relevant documents pertaining to your liabilities (if you have any) and they will better be able to provide specifics regarding allowance and rate; each institution will vary. Apparently it can vary by branch as well. Good luck!

• aater0804 likes this

#52 cgood

cgood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

So from what I've gathered from this thread regarding housing options, I will be bringing up my car so it would be better and more cost efficient to live off campus. I don't plan on partying much and more space would be welcome, residence makes me skeptical because of the noise from undergrads and whatnot. 

Also, how much snow does Kamloops usually get? That would be the only thing I'd be wary of living farther away. 

#53 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3282 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

So from what I've gathered from this thread regarding housing options, I will be bringing up my car so it would be better and more cost efficient to live off campus. I don't plan on partying much and more space would be welcome, residence makes me skeptical because of the noise from undergrads and whatnot. 

Also, how much snow does Kamloops usually get? That would be the only thing I'd be wary of living farther away. 

Not that much.  Granted I'm from Northern Ontario, the people from Vancouver usually flip out at the sight of it though.  The noise from undergrads is really overstated - Plus most people study elsewhere; so, unless you are the lightest sleeper in the world noise in res shouldn't be an issue.  I agree though, that if you have a car live a bit off campus and get that extra space.

#54 cdub

cdub
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Re: snow

I'm from Vancouver and was nervous (...terrified) of the snow and cold. I survived with my regular winter coats and rain boots. Yes, it's colder than what I was used to, but overall it wasn't too bad. 
I didn't put my snow tires on until Thanksgiving, and didn't need them until closer to Christmas, but I had to keep them on until after April exams for the Coq. 

#55 cgood

cgood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Good to know, thanks for the advice guys.  

Does anyone here have experience with the privately operated on-campus housing? 

For on-campus residence, it's $6,358.00 a year for a two bedroom suite, but the privately owned on-campus housing is only $4,570.  I'm just on the TRU housing website and it has both options listed:
http://www.tru.ca/housing.html

Can someone help break down the discrepancy between the prices and the benefits of each option? 

#56 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3282 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

For on-campus residence, it's $6,358.00 a year for a two bedroom suite, but the privately owned on-campus housing is only $4,570.  I'm just on the TRU housing website and it has both options listed:

Can someone help break down the discrepancy between the prices and the benefits of each option? 

Do not under any circumstance choose the private option.  The extra money is worth it.  Perhaps a student who stayed there can chime in (Don't know if they are on LS.ca) but overall only a few students have been there and it is brutal just too many horror stories.

• Stark likes this

#57 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1321 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Do NOT go for the privately owned housing whatever you do!  The rooms are incredibly sketchy and gross and it looks like a shit hole.  People like to say that those buildings were built as jail cells back in the day but then got converted to housing when TRU started getting bigger.  

#58 cgood

cgood
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Do not under any circumstance choose the private option.  The extra money is worth it.  Perhaps a student who stayed there can chime in (Don't know if they are on LS.ca) but overall only a few students have been there and it is brutal just too many horror stories.

Do NOT go for the privately owned housing whatever you do!  The rooms are incredibly sketchy and gross and it looks like a shit hole.  People like to say that those buildings were built as jail cells back in the day but then got converted to housing when TRU started getting bigger.  

Hahah wow, thanks for the heads up guys.

I'm going to scout out some areas mentioned in this thread and compare prices for rent and then check them out next week, thanks for all the advice dudes. 

#59 aater0804

aater0804
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks to all the 1L and 2L's for your insightful inputs.

One more perhaps stupid question but I'd like to know before moving to BC. Is it advisable to fly to BC (Kamloops) and find housing (assuming not living on rez) at the last minute (last2 weeks of August) OR is it better to go there earlier to secure housing, then come back to Ontario and fly/drive there before school starts and move in then? If so, how early should I go? I guess this question doesn't apply to those who are from BC (or Alberta) due to the short distance to Kamloops, but more directed to those from Ontario, East Coat, or provinces east of Alberta.

Please advise.

#60 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3282 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

Thanks to all the 1L and 2L's for your insightful inputs.

One more perhaps stupid question but I'd like to know before moving to BC. Is it advisable to fly to BC (Kamloops) and find housing (assuming not living on rez) at the last minute (last2 weeks of August) OR is it better to go there earlier to secure housing, then come back to Ontario and fly/drive there before school starts and move in then? If so, how early should I go? I guess this question doesn't apply to those who are from BC (or Alberta) due to the short distance to Kamloops, but more directed to those from Ontario, East Coat, or provinces east of Alberta.

Please advise.

That depends what the market is like.  You would want to go through online sites such as Craigs List or Kijiji first and then get some solid leads and then if you feel you must you should go look at them.  I think it would be based on when there are places available.

• aater0804 likes this

#61 NikiShiz

NikiShiz
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Helllooooo!

I have a question regarding where to live...what are your thoughts on the "Library Square" building? (located in the "North Shore Area")...supposedly a 9 min drive to TRU (across the bridge)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#62 c_hepting

c_hepting
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I noticed they were still working on the building when I left Kamloops for the summer so hopefully they'd be done by September or that's going to be loud.  The North Shore area can be a bit dicey, but the Library Square building does look like it could be a bit of a diamond in the rough so to speak.  There's Extra Foods right across the road, you're not too far away from McArthur Park (if you like running, that's a great place to go) and you're also not too far from downtown (definitely not walking distance though).  It's definitely a short drive to the school - I live up in the Batchelor Heights area (a little further away from the school than you would be) and I've found that it seems to take about 15 minutes for me to get there.  Most of the students though live up closer to the school though (Sahali area).

#63 Kdodgeball

Kdodgeball
  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Helllooooo!

I have a question regarding where to live...what are your thoughts on the "Library Square" building? (located in the "North Shore Area")...supposedly a 9 min drive to TRU (across the bridge)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd skip the North Shore all together. You can't walk there from the school nor from downtown.

#64 NikiShiz

NikiShiz
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks guys! Its been pretty hard finding a 2bd place thats also small dog friendly! :)

#65 Kdodgeball

Kdodgeball
  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationKamloops

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I posted this on your facebook group (you should join if you've been accepted already), but many home owners rent their places to students and are used to do the September to April cycle. Because of this, many places do not get listed on any of the websites until August. I recommend to people that they make a trip out there in August and see as many places as they can in a weekend to find one they like. Looking sooner may mean you are settling for a unit that isn't as awesome as one you've find closer to the school year.

#66 aater0804

aater0804
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

To all the 1L and 2Ls:

Which cities/areas do most students summer in? I am not from BC and have heard that it TRU targets interior BC (like Lakehead targets northern Ontario), has this been proven to be accurate? Is it possible to summer/article in Vancouver or Victoria? If so, approximately how many percent of students do so based on the last 2 cohorts?

Thanks in advance!

#67 cdub

cdub
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Apparently I post here now so:

I'm going to agree with Kdodgeball on all accounts. I love going to the Island, and Library Square building looks SUPER nice from what I've seen.. but I don't think I'm quite ready to want to live near there, at least for now. A few of my friends are looking for places ATM and there's almost nothing available compared to what was up last summer. Two more months and things should pick up. 

Jobs... I have no idea about percentages but I do have a few friends who are working in both Vancouver and Victoria, so it is quite possible. Someone else may have better insight on that. 

• aater0804 likes this

#68 sqk19

sqk19
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious about what the classroom atmosphere at TRU is like? How are the teaching methods? Do the professors use a lot of Socratic method like in the US schools? Or is the class structure more like undergrad? I'm just curious about what to expect and how to prepare for class.

Thanks

#69 Stark

Stark
  • Members
  • 1321 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious about what the classroom atmosphere at TRU is like? How are the teaching methods? Do the professors use a lot of Socratic method like in the US schools? Or is the class structure more like undergrad? I'm just curious about what to expect and how to prepare for class.

Thanks

In many ways the class atmosphere is similar to undergrad especially in the upper year undergrad seminar classes.  Your class is separated into 2 sections so you only have 40ish people in your classes except for a few joint classes.  There are a few profs who like the Socratic style but not many and overall it's not that popular in Canada.  Other profs like the "on-call" system where a few students are assigned a day and they're responsible for all the material for that day and all the questions are directed at them.

First year classes are mostly lecture based but participation is always welcomed.  All the profs will often pause and ask for the facts or rules from a case.  As for how to prepare for a class, you need to do all the readings required...at least at the beginning.  Some people will make case briefs for every case while others will rarely ever make one.  It's just a matter of preference and you do whatever works for you.  

#70 StephanieHead

StephanieHead
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOshawa

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hey

I don't know if this question has been posted already or not, but College Heights building? Yeh or Nay? I want something close to the school and it looks ideal but I remember hearing somewhere that its a mess and that it's a huge party building for undergrads? 

#71 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3282 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hey

I don't know if this question has been posted already or not, but College Heights building? Yeh or Nay? I want something close to the school and it looks ideal but I remember hearing somewhere that its a mess and that it's a huge party building for undergrads? 

A lot of students in the program live in UCH.  There are parties there I would assume it is in between Residence and an apartment building as far as noise and partying.  Then again someone who lives/lived there would have a better answer for you.

#72 thegreynathan

thegreynathan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

I have a question or two. I'm trying to get my financing in order, but I don't think I have anything official proving that I'm going to be a student at TRU, besides the email saying I was accepted. I imagine a bank will need a student number or something when I apply for a line of credit. Anyone know anything about that? Sorry if that's been answered elsewhere.

Also, I'm from Alberta. Anyone know if I apply for student loans through BC or Alberta? That's probably a dumb question, but I find the loan process kind of confusing.

#73 Ptolemy

Ptolemy
  • Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have a question or two. I'm trying to get my financing in order, but I don't think I have anything official proving that I'm going to be a student at TRU, besides the email saying I was accepted. I imagine a bank will need a student number or something when I apply for a line of credit. Anyone know anything about that? Sorry if that's been answered elsewhere.

Also, I'm from Alberta. Anyone know if I apply for student loans through BC or Alberta? That's probably a dumb question, but I find the loan process kind of confusing.

Also an Albertan studying out-of-province. Apply for an Alberta/ Canada student loan. 

#74 Ptolemy

Ptolemy
  • Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Check with your bank first and see what they require (usually a confirmation of enrolment document that can be printed off from an online student account or emailed to your bank as a PDF). If it is something you haven't been given by your school yet, get on them about it. 

Edited by Ptolemy, 28 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#75 thegreynathan

thegreynathan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Check with your bank first and see what they require (usually a confirmation of enrolment document that can be printed off from an online student account or emailed to your bank as a PDF). If it is something you haven't been given by your school yet, get on them about it. 

Also an Albertan studying out-of-province. Apply for an Alberta/ Canada student loan. 

Thanks a lot!