Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

0L's - post any questions in here

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#251 Bure10

Bure10
  • Members
  • 3255 posts
  • LocationTRU

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

Cool thanks Bure! I didn't know that not going to class is an option in law school  :razz:

A guy I work with who's a lawyer said that he NEVER went to class. I thought attendance was mandatory lol.

I'm a lawyer and I went to between 50-75% of class and had a B average.  It depends on the prof as some classes have mandatory attendance, some classes the prof just reads slides that are posted online so I would just read the text and be on my way, and some classes have 100% papers on a topic of your choosing so you really dont have to go to class once your paper is handed in or your topic is covered, and there are tons of other possibilities.  Everyone learns differently and my time was better served reading the text at home than spending 1.5 Hours browsing the internet, but some people need to be in class to learn so its really up to you.  But, in short attendance is not mandatory in most classes.

Edited by Bure10, 11 April 2016 - 12:57 PM.

• jpong likes this

#252 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

Hello all,

My best friend is getting married in September this fall in Italy, and I agreed to be her maid of honour long before I was accepted to TRU. What is your opinion on missing a week of school in late September? Would it be detrimental to the rest of my semester? I'm willing to just fly there over the weekend, say 3-4 days if need be, but would obviously love to stay for at least a full week. Any insight on this would be great! I don't want to give the impression to the professors that I am not committed in any way, and will obviously spend every free moment I have catching up with readings...

Thanks!

If it helps, there were actually several 1Ls this year who took long weekends off to get married themselves. Late September should be no problem since you won't be really into the material yet anyway. Also, if this year's 1L class is any indication, you won't have a problem getting missed notes from classmates. However, there are some classes with "on call" policies where they assign students to specifically contribute to the conversation in class so if you by chance get assigned to a class you will miss, you will need to make arrangements with the prof and another student to switch. I wouldn't think this would be an issue though.

PS Italy in September is amazing! I wouldn't sacrifice that trip for a week of classes in September if I were in your shoes! :)

• jpong likes this

#253 jpong

jpong
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:41 PM

If it helps, there were actually several 1Ls this year who took long weekends off to get married themselves. Late September should be no problem since you won't be really into the material yet anyway. Also, if this year's 1L class is any indication, you won't have a problem getting missed notes from classmates. However, there are some classes with "on call" policies where they assign students to specifically contribute to the conversation in class so if you by chance get assigned to a class you will miss, you will need to make arrangements with the prof and another student to switch. I wouldn't think this would be an issue though.

PS Italy in September is amazing! I wouldn't sacrifice that trip for a week of classes in September if I were in your shoes! :)

Thanks MissJE. Judging from everyone's posts, TRU seems to have such a congenial community. Can't wait to be a part of it!

• MissJE and auxilium00 like this

#254 megatron7

megatron7
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

Thanks MissJE. Judging from everyone's posts, TRU seems to have such a congenial community. Can't wait to be a part of it!

Ah, everyone seems so amazing, I'm so excited!!

• jpong likes this

#255 psid

psid
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

Random question about a BC StudentAid application: Can anyone confirm whether the study dates chosen should cover the full academic year (Sep 7 - April something) or just a semester (Sep -Dec)? Right now the only "Year 1" study dates available for me to choose are Sept-Dec which seems odd to me. Have had an awful experience with StudentAid in the past because of a similar mistake so want to make sure everything is done right.

#256 Liquidz

Liquidz
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

This is one of the best aspects of TRU Law. Everyone helps everyone and we're a very close knit group of students.

#257 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

Random question about a BC StudentAid application: Can anyone confirm whether the study dates chosen should cover the full academic year (Sep 7 - April something) or just a semester (Sep -Dec)? Right now the only "Year 1" study dates available for me to choose are Sept-Dec which seems odd to me. Have had an awful experience with StudentAid in the past because of a similar mistake so want to make sure everything is done right.

Not sure if I'm the best person to answer this since I have AB loans (which are done completely differently) BUT I have a friend with BC loans who told me that they are in fact done per semester. However, the best thing to do is contact BC StudentAid directly. The time you might spend on hold is well worth it to prevent a mistake on your application especially when it could lead to less money for a school with very high tuition.

• psid likes this

#258 irc967

irc967
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Hi!  I can't seem to find any admissions requirements or admission statistics on TRU.  Can anyone give me some help on what LSAT scores they accept, GPA requirements etc?  Thank you

#259 pennyh7

pennyh7
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

Anyone know how much parking costs on campus? (approximately). I am looking for a place to live and want to know if parking costs will be a large deterrent for living far from campus. Thanks!  :smile:

#260 law90

law90
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

Anyone know how much parking costs on campus? (approximately). I am looking for a place to live and want to know if parking costs will be a large deterrent for living far from campus. Thanks!  :smile:

All parking info can be accessed on the link below:

https://www.tru.ca/f...nt-parking.html

• pennyh7 likes this

#261 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi!  I can't seem to find any admissions requirements or admission statistics on TRU.  Can anyone give me some help on what LSAT scores they accept, GPA requirements etc?  Thank you

TRU has not released stats on previous classes regarding LSAT scores or GPAs of accepted students. Also, as far as I can tell, each year they've changed what they are looking for in applications. For example, the year I applied, I had to submit 3 LORs and there was no limit to the amount of credits they would look at, whereas they now only require 2 LORs and look at only the last 90 credits (http://www.tru.ca/la...first-year.html). There are no official minimum LSAT or GPA scores required, but if you look at the previous and current accepted threads here it may give you an idea. However, given TRUs holistic approach to admissions in previous years, it's hard to tell really. Best thing to do is contact the admin office and see what kind of information they're willing to share in this regard.

#262 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

There's also a fairly reliable transit system in Kamloops, and the passes are free (included in tuition) so that's also an option. .