*Ari*

0L's - post any questions in here

279 posts in this topic

And all days, you'll study till you want to cry.

Jeezus Ari between talking about hot undergrads and scaring them (That is not true ^) you aren't helping ha.

1 person likes this

Jeezus Ari between talking about hot undergrads and scaring them (That is not true ^) you aren't helping ha.

LOL...well, in comparison to undergrad studies.

1 person likes this

How much is residence?

$6,160 for a 4 bedroom suite and $6,358 for a 2 bedroom suite.

I've noticed on kijiji that places outside of town give you a lot more bang for your buck (I'm a family man and need more than one bedroom). I don't know the area very well so it's hard to know if that commute would be a viable option. And I usually don't mind driving - especially if I'm going to be at the school all day anyway. Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this? Thanks.

1 person likes this

I've noticed on kijiji that places outside of town give you a lot more bang for your buck (I'm a family man and need more than one bedroom). I don't know the area very well so it's hard to know if that commute would be a viable option. And I usually don't mind driving - especially if I'm going to be at the school all day anyway. Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this? Thanks.

You would have to define outside of town.  I know quite a few people live in the Sun Rivers area which is a bit further but they commute without issues every day.  I don't see it being a problem - traffic isn't bad in Kamloops from the times I have driven around by myself or with others.

Does anyone think it will be a big deal to miss two days of class in early October? It will be a Friday and a Monday... on top of starting law school, I'm throwing my wedding into the mix this fall.

2 people like this

Does anyone think it will be a big deal to miss two days of class in early October? It will be a Friday and a Monday... on top of starting law school, I'm throwing my wedding into the mix this fall.

Not at all.  I'm of the school of thought that reading is more important than class.  Even if you swing the other way and really value class time someone will fill you in and give you notes, specially for your wedding.

Adding onto what Bure said, the CANs on our database, usually have lecture notes filled in with detail. You likely aren't missing much.

Thanks very much for the intel. In undergrad (many moons ago...) I was seldom found in class but nevertheless a strong performer. Glad to hear that this strategy should be compatible with law school as well.

Thanks very much for the intel. In undergrad (many moons ago...) I was seldom found in class but nevertheless a strong performer. Glad to hear that this strategy should be compatible with law school as well.

No, this strategy is generally not compatible with law school. 

1 person likes this

I agree. Occasionally missing a lecture due to other commitments is vastly different than skipping a majority of lecture. It is often helpful for fleshing out confusing points, and they seem to give tips that the cases themselves don't.

For instance, as pertains to common mistake, it's unclear whether the equitable remedy has been done away with or not. A case itself likely won't explain this from the excerpt, but the professor in class mentions it.

1 person likes this

No, this strategy is generally not compatible with law school. 

I agree. Occasionally missing a lecture due to other commitments is vastly different than skipping a majority of lecture. It is often helpful for fleshing out confusing points, and they seem to give tips that the cases themselves don't.

For instance, as pertains to common mistake, it's unclear whether the equitable remedy has been done away with or not. A case itself likely won't explain this from the excerpt, but the professor in class mentions it.

Obviously I disagree everyone learns differently and most people don't make good use of class time anyways (Myself included) if you are going to be dicking around in class for 1.5 or 3 hours you are better served reading at home and working on you own CAN's.  You won't gain information by osmosis just by sitting there.  I agree with Ari to an extent there might be nuances that you would not pick up from a case or what not. 

My grades in first and second year did not correlate well with attendence my highest mark ever in law school is in a class I skipped most of the time and my lowest marks we're in classes I went to the most.

Find out what works for you and what doesn't and really decide for yourself, the first set of exams probably wont count towards your final grade anyways.  They are traditionally at TRU help not hurt.

2 people like this

Not going to class hamstrings your ability to get an exceptional grade. An appreciation and mirroring of your professors understanding of problems is vital to proving a complete understanding. When you are talking about getting a B or a B+ it doesn't matter, you can learn from the book, but once you are actually an exceptional student then you need to go to class, there is a huge amount of value there.

3 people like this

All good points. I am just relieved to hear that I will be able to attend and enjoy my wedding and peripheral activities without fear of academic implosion!

I genuinely cannot believe that whether or not you should attend class is actually being discussed!!!  You got accepted into law school, you're going to pay some serious tuition, get the most out of it - GO TO CLASS!!!  If you need a day off here or there, you should seriously consider whether or not you REALLY need that day off (getting married, mind you, is a very good reason).  Getting other student's notes is good, but not as good as actually being there yourself.  This isn't undergrad - as was stated, occasionally missing a lecture isn't going to kill you, but think about it before you just miss class (like I said, Spilly, your reason of getting married is a good one).

Does TRU have a clinical experience program? And if so is it 1L, 2L, etc. Thanks!

Not yet but I know a couple of profs have been discussing setting something up so we'll see where that goes.  

Edited by Stark

Thanks Stark, what about other student services? Is advising competent and separate from the rest of TRU? Do you have opportunities to mingle with local firms or those from out or town?

I've talked to as many lawyers as I can and many say that it isn't where you go to school, but whether/where you get an articling position. I know this won't happen for the first TRU grads until next June, but what has the school done to ensure you guys reach that next step?

Thanks Stark, what about other student services? Is advising competent and separate from the rest of TRU? Do you have opportunities to mingle with local firms or those from out or town?

I've talked to as many lawyers as I can and many say that it isn't where you go to school, but whether/where you get an articling position. I know this won't happen for the first TRU grads until next June, but what has the school done to ensure you guys reach that next step?

It truly is what you make of it.  There are tons of events with the Kamloops bar and everyone is super friendly.  There are also a lot of CBA events in Kamloops, the interior and Vancouver if you choose to attend.  There were neat events like Judge and Master's shadowing as well as conferences with the BC bar in Vancouver not to mention all the local events.  

I would definitely suggest attending every event you can.  A lot of people won't go because of school work, but I think you should always try making time to attend those things and then the rest is on you.