*Ari*

0L's - post any questions in here

TeamRachel    20

Thanks Stark!

Does this hinder applications for summer jobs after 1L?

Edited by TeamRachel

Stark    531

Thanks Stark!

Does this hinder applications for summer jobs after 1L?

I don't think so.  Keep in mind many schools use the "help not hurt" exam format for the Fall semester.  

As an aside, summer jobs between 1L and 2L are extremely rare and many cities won't even consider those students for summer positions.  Alberta is the big exception but even then I understand it to be quite difficult to attain a 1L summer job.  

• Like 1

TeamRachel    20

I don't think so.  Keep in mind many schools use the "help not hurt" exam format for the Fall semester.  

As an aside, summer jobs between 1L and 2L are extremely rare and many cities won't even consider those students for summer positions.  Alberta is the big exception but even then I understand it to be quite difficult to attain a 1L summer job.  

Thanks!

lbailz    0

Any suggestions for good places to look for off-campus housing besides your typical kijiji, craigslist, etc?? Or any specific property management companies that are good? Anything would help!

Bure10    678

There are several students advertising housing the in Facebook group for all three classes - Called TRU LAW.

You can check out Upper College Heights as well.  Whether they are good or not is still to be debated.

SBM    13

Is anyone still waiting for a response from TRU?? Any idea how much longer??

McNaughton    0

Regarding Orientation Week: Are any events scheduled for the weekend or does everything typically happen during the week?

Regarding Orientation Week: Are any events scheduled for the weekend or does everything typically happen during the week?

As far as I remember, there are some informal events (meet and greet dinner for example) that happen on the weekend. There will be more info about that stuff closer to the date.

Noobez    3

I've noticed on kijiji that places outside of town give you a lot more bang for your buck (I'm a family man and need more than one bedroom). I don't know the area very well so it's hard to know if that commute would be a viable option. And I usually don't mind driving - especially if I'm going to be at the school all day anyway. Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this? Thanks.

Hey,

Not A TRU student, but I've spent my entire life in Kamloops. One of the great things about Kamloops is that it is really easy to get around with a car. No matter where you live, it's extremely unlikely that your commute to campus will be more than 15. Most likely, you'll have a 10 minute commute.

As for best place to live, I'd probably say Aberdeen or Sahali. Both areas of town are close to TRU and are generally nice neighbourhoods.

If you want to know more, feel free to pm me. I love Kamloops and would be happy to answer and questions about the city :)

Hey law folks

...looking for accommodation - I'm renting a spacious and clean 2bed/2bath right across from TRU Law. In the Landmark complex, top floor. The suite is fully furnished, so you pretty much only need to bring your clothes! My roommate and I are both law students (met in first year through a kijiji ad when I was looking for a roommate) and have loved this place. 

PM for pictures of the condo, or call/text 250-852-1622

Stark    531

Does TRU have any on campus interviews/recruiting with firms set up? 

We haven't as of yet, but TRU has participated in OCI's in Vancouver and Calgary.  I think Toronto too, but not sure how many people went out for that.  It just means the onus was on us to travel to the city. 

• Like 1

OuterSpace    21

We haven't as of yet, but TRU has participated in OCI's in Vancouver and Calgary.  I think Toronto too, but not sure how many people went out for that.  It just means the onus was on us to travel to the city. 

Hi, thanks for the info. If students choose to go off to the other cities during the interviews period, does that mean that they willingly give up class time? Also, where's the venue? I'm assuming @ UBC and U of C campus but I can't imagine these schools letting other law students share their on-campus interview "space" ??

Bure10    678

Hi, thanks for the info. If students choose to go off to the other cities during the interviews period, does that mean that they willingly give up class time? Also, where's the venue? I'm assuming @ UBC and U of C campus but I can't imagine these schools letting other law students share their on-campus interview "space" ??

Yes you will miss class for these, but the profs are pretty aware that is whats going on so you probably wont have assignments due on that week although itll be regularly scheduled readings.

I can't comment as tot he venue.

• Like 1

OuterSpace    21

Yes you will miss class for these, but the profs are pretty aware that is whats going on so you probably wont have assignments due on that week although itll be regularly scheduled readings.

I can't comment as tot he venue.

Thanks!

MissJE    72

Not sure if anyone has asked about this kind of thing in the past but I have a non-refundable trip planned for a wedding from Nov 11-18 and I am wondering if I am totally screwing myself over by going. Is there someone in the law department I can ask now regarding this or do I just hope for the best and figure things out once I get there? Are there fall exams in November and if so, can they be written on a different day/time if they happen to fall while I am away? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bure10    678

No fall exams that I know.  There might be assignments due, but Im sure if you talked to your prof as soon as the semester started and made them aware of the situation it shouldnt be an issue.